Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Interesting. I wonder why the new dishwashers dont have that lever anymore. Seems like getting rid of it would be a safety hazard.

Anyway, thanks for the info. When it's time for me to get a new dishwasher, I'll be sure to look for ones that still have the lever.
Yet another reason I dislike dishwashers. Older ones are so loud they sound like you're grinding corpses through a wood chipper, and the quiet ones are so quiet you don't even know they're running, so it's easy to open them accidently, risking burns or at least a dousing of hot water/steam in your face. What a useless appliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Mine has a light that shows it is on. It's biggest problem (it is less than a year old) is it stinks! Yes, it smells really bad when you open it to remove clean dishes. I found something online that blames the quality of the interior components which give off smells after being heated. It is a name brand, Bosch.
Mine is a Bosch I have had almost a year now - I'd read that they can have a smell issue, something to do with the change in the way it handles grinding food particles, so every couple weeks I clean the TWO filters out (one is easy to get to, the other a little more tricky). Never had an odor issue, but then I've never actually had much trapped in the filters, either.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:58 AM

477 posts, read 508,904 times
Please to list these dishwashers that are supposedly "too quiet". Manufacturer and model number and year of purchase, please. ESPECIALLY if they also get the dishes "too clean".

I will be sure to look for them when I buy a dishwasher.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 AM

477 posts, read 508,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yet another reason I dislike dishwashers. Older ones are so loud they sound like you're grinding corpses through a wood chipper, and the quiet ones are so quiet you don't even know they're running, so it's easy to open them accidently, risking burns or at least a dousing of hot water/steam in your face. What a useless appliance.
If merely opening the dishwasher results in burns, there's something really really wrong with that dishwasher. I have opened a dishwasher while its running on many occasions. Never once has there been even a remote chance of any injury. Unless you are counting stumbling around the kitchen with fogged up lenses - and the solution to that is simple as well, just don't try to walk around until you defog your glasses.

I can't stand at the sink long enough to do the dishes anymore. I would consider buying a house that didn't have a dishwasher - ONLY if one can easily be installed. If not, its a deal breaker.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Please to list these dishwashers that are supposedly "too quiet". Manufacturer and model number and year of purchase, please. ESPECIALLY if they also get the dishes "too clean".

I will be sure to look for them when I buy a dishwasher.

I agree. Thanks to everyone who's posted info on the problems with their quiet dishwashers. I'll stay away from any Bosch dishwashers because of the info furnished here.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:27 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I prefer our new Bosch over our last Maytag. The Maytag was so loud we would have to wait to run it when we weren't downstairs. The Bosch is silent. Very nice. (Why would you open the dishwasher while it was running? Wouldn't it just continue to cycle once the door was closed again anyway?) I'll take quiet any time.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
I have a Bosch that is supposed to be very quiet but I can still hear it running. I can open mine mid cycle as well but haven't out of not realizing it was running. Looks like I need to get a quieter dishwasher.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 PM

206 posts, read 382,480 times
I think it depends on the combo of features.

The dishwasher in our new house is so quiet we generally can't tell it's running, AND the control panel and indicator light are on top of the door, under the counter overhang (parallel to the floor). This means that the only way to tell if it's running is to crouch down and peer under the counter.

This is pretty annoying to me, since there are several people in the house besides myself who might have started it or want to load it. Also, one of the trade-offs for the noise is that a full cycle takes about six hours. There is a quick-wash option, but it does not get the dishes as clean.

My mom's dishwasher has a different issue; it has the touch-buttons on the front of the door, and many's the time someone has accidentally started it by leaning up against it and not noticed the indicator light until it makes a little noise, about fifteen minutes in. If that person leaves without noticing, a full empty cycle might run since everyone else just assumes it's a legit load.

I'm hopeful that by the time we're in the market for a new dishwasher sometime down the road I'll be able to find one that doesn't have so many drawbacks to go along with the peace and quiet (which I do like).

As for "locking" doors--maybe this is a safety issue? I remember a few years ago a child got into a front-loading washing machine (an abusive parent, I think), and the locking feature meant to protect against flooding made it impossible for bystanders to get the child out in time. And of course the vacuum seal on appliances in general can be a hazard.

ETA: our dishwasher is a Kenmore. I'm not going to look up the model, because I really can't recommend it, other than the quiet and the shiny chrome interior. I could write an essay on what I don't like about it otherwise.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:03 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
It seems that many of the newer dishwashers are so quiet that at times we have opened our dishwasher door mid-cycle without knowing that it is on (even though there is a small orange LED indicating that it is running, which turns green when the wash is complete).

I wonder, does anyone agree that many of the newer dishwashers are too quiet? Perhaps they should include a feature to lock the door while running except if the wash is cancelled by pressing the cancel button. This would be similar to front-loading clothes washers which do typically have a door lock feature to prevent them from being opened mid-cycle.
I'm with you, Pink Jazz! My husband and I, but more often our kids have each opened our dishwasher while it's running! I love the quiet--you have to really try to hear if it's running. And yes, there is a small light indicating it's running. But unless you're facing the dishwasher from the front, it's easy to miss. For example, when you're standing right beside it at the sink...with dirty dishes in your hand

I think you're right; they need locks like front-load washing machines, and you have to deliberately press a "pause" button.

ETA: Mine is also Bosch

Last edited by AfternoonCoffee; 07-20-2015 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 07-20-2015, 10:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,986,300 times
Wow. I can't believe there are actually people complaining about an appliance being too quiet. Next thing you know, you people will be complaining about how they got your dishes too clean. sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House