Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
#41 #41 started this thread

126 posts, read 255,582 times

Advertisements

Any idea on the best way to add casters to this type of shelf?

I have a few shelves like these.

Here is a closer view of the legs.

I have them separated so they aren't as high as the first pic. It's more like two workbenches side by side.

Anyway, I'd like to add casters with brakes. What's the best way of attaching casters to the steel angled legs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:06 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You DON'T attach them.

I ran into a similar situation with metal storage cabinets. Their design would not accommodate the attachment of casters; so I had frames welded of angle iron. The cabinet sits inside the frame and the caster is bolted (I decided to bolt instead of welding them on incase i decided i no longer needed the cabinets, id still be able to use the casters for something else) to the bottom flange- I'd do the same thing in your situation.

Trying to bolt OR weld a caster to those legs would not work- it would just bend and/or collapse.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:39 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Try using a caster bracket
Caster Sockets, Brackets and Floor Locks - Casters and Wheels - Grainger Industrial Supply

You mount the bracket to the inside of the legs and then set the caster in.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You DON'T attach them.

I ran into a similar situation with metal storage cabinets. Their design would not accommodate the attachment of casters; so I had frames welded of angle iron. The cabinet sits inside the frame and the caster is bolted (I decided to bolt instead of welding them on incase i decided i no longer needed the cabinets, id still be able to use the casters for something else) to the bottom flange- I'd do the same thing in your situation.

Trying to bolt OR weld a caster to those legs would not work- it would just bend and/or collapse.
Thanks. I was thinking I could build a 2x4 frame at the bottom and mount the casters to that. You still think it would flex/bend? It's almost sounding like more work than I would benefit from it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Try using a caster bracket
Caster Sockets, Brackets and Floor Locks - Casters and Wheels - Grainger Industrial Supply

You mount the bracket to the inside of the legs and then set the caster in.
Hmmm, i'll research this but I still cant visualize how the bracket attaches.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 View Post
Thanks. I was thinking I could build a 2x4 frame at the bottom and mount the casters to that. You still think it would flex/bend? It's almost sounding like more work than I would benefit from it though.
It depends on the thickness of the steel legs. If it is thin sheet metal of the quality you purchase at a home hardware store I wouldn't put casters on at all, frame or no frame. If it is thicker, industrial grade you can probably get away with a 2x frame.

Quote:
Hmmm, i'll research this but I still cant visualize how the bracket attaches.
The bottom pic would work, if your steel is thick enough. It goes on the inside of the corner with those flanges bolting to the upright support.

Putting casters on something like this is not a great idea. Those shelves can hold a lot of weight and people tend to load them up. This is going to give the loaded unit a very high center of gravity. Because of their height and relatively narrow depth they will be a bit unstable.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:06 AM

Yeah, it's not very thick metal and I did purchase it years ago at lowes/home depot. And I really don't keep alot of weight on it at all.

Even though, I think I'll forget the idea of casters. It would have just been nice to roll them out of the way when I go to clean the garage. No big deal.

Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House