Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM

312 posts, read 831,447 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify if it's not clear, what I am thinking is instead of the vanity attached to cabinet, and have wall to wall cabinets, would be to use furniture-vanity and linen storage like this combination for example:

Newport Double Sink Console | Pottery Barn

Stuart Storage & Hutch | Pottery Barn

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I thought K'ledgebuilder was saying it would be better and more symmetrical to have two separate vanities with a linen cabinet in the middle (like this http://www.artisanspecialties.com/ba...abinet%201.jpg ignore the outdated style) than to have the linen "closet" on one end.
Yes, this is what I was referring too.

As to the toilet with Chet's comment- its no different from most powder room designs- sink on one end, toilet on the other. Its also one the reason I don't like the design at all.

But again as I previously stated, if the parameters for the space are set you work with what you have...

Old 07-27-2015, 02:51 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I'm not feeling the need to fir out/frame in everything. Is there a reason there is no exterior window- it looks as if that left wall would be an exterior wall.

If you could cope without a regular door you will gain about 2" depth. And pocket doors have a way of betraying you over time. If you simply pulled the door and jambs back into the hallway between the two closets you could actually accomodate most of its depth before it swung into the bathroom floor space.

I bring this up because it like if you did that and snuck anohter 2" from the closets you would have enough space to turn the towel and accomodate a 3'x4' corner shower. You could also accomodate a 6' long tub by getting rid of the firredout topwall and cutting back the niche at the back of the tub.

Also is the chase at the far left necessary? That looks like another 8" of space you could incorporate into the bathroom. That could bring the shower above to 3'8" x 4' which is actually a preety good size.

I would also skip framing in the tub with a full height wing wall and either glaze it in or leave it open if you find space for the separate shower.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not feeling the need to fir out/frame in everything. Is there a reason there is no exterior window- it looks as if that left wall would be an exterior wall.
not needing to frame everything, you mean, use stand alone vanity?

It's not possible to have exterior wall. Attaching here more for reference.

Quote:
If you could cope without a regular door you will gain about 2" depth.
it actually will be a regular door. 28". It's a shear wall, so no pocket door.

Quote:
I bring this up because it like if you did that and snuck anohter 2" from the closets you would have enough space to turn the towel and accomodate a 3'x4' corner shower.
The vanity doesn't need to be 7ft, I am 100% happy with 6 ft.

We scrapped the shower because we thought 32" wide would be too small, claustrophobic. Maybe it was a decent size?

I am attaching the old plan before we took 1ft off the bathroom.

By the way, we already have permits and have started structural work.

Quote:
Also is the chase at the far left necessary? That looks like another 8" of space you could incorporate into the bathroom. That could bring the shower above to 3'8" x 4' which is actually a preety good size.
Good question, but yes, it's required. There is piping there that can't be moved.

Quote:
glaze it
you saying just leave it open and put a shower curtain, right?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need feedback on bathroom design-screen-shot-2015-07-27-2.03.41   Need feedback on bathroom design-screen-shot-2015-07-27-2.15.36  

Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I would try to shrink the vanity a bit and use a wall hung commode to get a shower into the space where the linen cabinet is, it looks like you can get a decent shower in that way.

If the side wall is not below grade there is room for a window there, even if it is just a modest awning type window mounted near top of wall it still should allow some natural light and potential ventilation into the space -- even a fixed window could be a huge focal point -- http://blog.innovatebuildingsolution...w-149A7349.jpg

Old 07-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I would try to shrink the vanity a bit and use a wall hung commode to get a shower into the space where the linen cabinet is, it looks like you can get a decent shower in that way.
Shower would be 3x4 at most. We thought that 32" width was too small so we scrapped the shower.

Quote:
If the side wall is not below grade there is room for a window there, even if it is just a modest awning type window mounted near top of wall it still should allow some natural light and potential ventilation into the space -- even a fixed window could be a huge focal point
Can't. Neighbors houses on both sides.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM

3'x4' is a darned nice shower for most folks -- Aston 48x35x77.5, Completely Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Chrome Right Drain - Modern - Shower Stalls And Kits - by Aston

Don't understand how the bedroom has a sidewall window but bath can't, obscure glass still lets in light if you want privacy...

Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 PM

I don't know. I am a 6.1 and felt 32"width was too small. Maybe was ok since it would be 48" long.

There is no sidewall window on bedroom. All windows and doors open to backyards.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:06 PM

If you go with the wall hung commode and a smaller vanity that ought to make the 48x36 shower feasible. That seems a much better use of space than linen cabinet.

32" is not as nice, but I've been on sailboats and RVs where even a 28" sq shower would have been a nice upgrade...

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,887 times
Just at a quick glance from a women's view , I could never see the point in double sinks in a bathroom , no one uses them at the exact same time , id rather have that extra vanity space to spread my cosmetics out , I do have double sinks in my master bathroom but it wasn't by choice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House