Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,900,793 times

Advertisements

Not to sound testy but when you find any water based adhesive that will stick to an oil based anything, let me know. I can make a fortune with it. The black MUST come off if you expect a water based adhesive to work. This has been an issue in the flooring business for a lot of years. We grind the floors and skip all the BS about use this or that crapola. It's been a waste of time. No, you cannot reuse the black adhesive. Once the current floor comes up, the black has to come up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,141,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buicklimit View Post
The difficulty is no company can remove the black mastic in our area. Some people mentioned that thinset/ceramic tiles can be installed on the old black mastic without any problem for many years (so far so good).
Have it tested for asbestos. If it does not contain asbestos, there are numerous mastic removers contractors can use to remove it. There is nothing complicated about it.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,141,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Not to sound testy but when you find any water based adhesive that will stick to an oil based anything, let me know. I can make a fortune with it. The black MUST come off if you expect a water based adhesive to work. This has been an issue in the flooring business for a lot of years. We grind the floors and skip all the BS about use this or that crapola. It's been a waste of time. No, you cannot reuse the black adhesive. Once the current floor comes up, the black has to come up too.
You are correct. The black mastic is removed with the aid of power scrubbers (buffers), and mastic removers. Then the mastic remover itself must be cleaned (scrubbed and wet-vacuumed). If the black mastic contains asbestos, then the asbestos-removal company takes care of it.

That said, a lot of the laws relating to asbestos removal do not pertain to home owners doing the work themselves.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM

53 posts, read 60,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’d have a professional flooring company dealing mainly with tile to remove and replace it. This is not a job that most DIYer can deal with. The old tile “may” contain asbestos that will need to be properly removed and discarded. Also this job should be done at a time of year when the weather is ok to have the basement well ventilated because of toxic fumes that might be needed for the removal of the adhesive left on the floor.
If these tiles are not removed, is it dangerous when someone step on it which the broken sections grind each other and release asbestos particles?

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Have it tested for asbestos. If it does not contain asbestos, there are numerous mastic removers contractors can use to remove it. There is nothing complicated about it.
It is said that "9x9 floor tiles always contain asbestos."

Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Because it is very difficult to (find a asbestos abatement company to) remove the asbestos mastic, can the new vinyl floor tiles with new mastic be directly installed on the old asbestos??

Old 08-07-2015, 01:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
Don't mess with asbestos. One of my brothers died from that crap and it was an ugly death. I repeat, do not mess with asbestos.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Don't mess with asbestos. One of my brothers died from that crap and it was an ugly death. I repeat, do not mess with asbestos.
I agree. However, what should be done with the broken tiles shown in the images of this thread?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
Your city should have a plan in place for disposal. I would contact them.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Your city should have a plan in place for disposal. I would contact them.
There is no any problem for disposal by a contractor of Asbestos Abatement. The problems are:
1. No contractor can remove the asbestos mastic even for just changing the broken tiles
2. Then new mastic/vinyl tiles cannot be installed on the old asbestos mastic.
3. There is no way to put a new layer of tiles on the old broken tiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House