Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Instead of a front loader I bought a Maytag high efficiency top loader, and haven't had any issues with mold.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-09-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:17 AM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
You have an enclosed space with no airflow and moisture.. You're going to have mold/mildew issues. Same thing happens to a dishwasher if you leave it closed up.. Crack the door.

Even top loaders are susceptible to it if you leave the door closed.. And they're not sealed.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
Thinking about replacing the washer and dryer at my parent's house in Henderson; their current set has older style top-loader with mechanical dials. In most parts of the country, if you don't leave the door open when not in use on the newer style front-loaders, you can get mold growth issues on the seal and drum. Is it the same in Vegas, or is the low humidity sufficient to dry the interior out even with the door closed (or just slightly ajar), before mold becomes a concern?

The laundry room at my folks' is also the passageway to the garage, so leaving the door fully open 90 deg would be a big inconvenience every time they go out. However, if the door can be left just slightly ajar and still dry things out, that would not be much of a hassle.

Thanks for any input.
We don't live in Las Vegas, but have the same situation. Leaving the dryer door slightly ajar allows enough air in to dry out the washer between loads.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You have an enclosed space with no airflow and moisture.. You're going to have mold/mildew issues. Same thing happens to a dishwasher if you leave it closed up.. Crack the door.

Even top loaders are susceptible to it if you leave the door closed.. And they're not sealed.
We never leave the door open on out top loader (top loaders have no door seals). However, HE top loaders still requite periodic cleaning with bleach to kill bacteria. The problem with front loaders is that they have door seals that trap moisture, which in turn provides another place for bacteria to grow. That's why it's advised to leave the door slightly open.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
I bought a front loader about 12 years ago....left the door ajar from the very beginning and I use a washer
cleaner like Tide every few months, never had any problems.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I bought a front loader when I moved here in 2008. There will always be SOME water in the washer. If you leave the door closed, it will get stinky/mold. You have to leave the door open. The front loaders clean better than top loaders so leaving the door open is no big deal.
What actual evidence is there that front-loaders clean better? I've watched them, and am very perturbed that they use so little water that the clothes are never immersed. Yes, I know that's good in terms of the environment, but if you're washing something that was drenched in something - like you spilled soda all over yourself or your child wet the bed - you want water, lots of it, to get it all out.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:39 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
We have had our LG for 8 years,wife drys with towel and wipes area around door,never a problem,huge water saver.The clothes come out almost dry.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
We just bought an Electrolux front loader and the drawer where detergent, bleach, etc. go is to be left open after use so that air gets into the washer to help dry it out. That said, we wipe it down after every use and keep the door open until we do not see any water.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I've never had an odor or mold issue with my 11 yr old Kenmore front loader in Denver. I do leave the door slightly ajar when not in use.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:41 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
The problem is NOT exclusive to front loaders!!!

We bought a new Kenmore TOP loader to replace a 1980s vintage Kenmore TOP loader.

Washer is in a 40' hallway open to the house,and the lid is always left open between loads.

Never had a problem with mold/mildew with the old washer, it apparently pumped out ALL the water.

The new one? If I don't run the TIDE WISHING MACHINE CLEANER in it at LEAST once a month, it gets quite rank!! Apparently, IT does NOT pump out all the water...

During summer, I usually use the Tide cleaner about once every 3 weeks to keep it fresh and clean..

Washing Machine Cleaner | Tide

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House