Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 PM

96 posts, read 434,786 times

Advertisements

Hi-
I need to have my kitchen floors refinished..My kitchen is approx 12 X 12..what is a reasonable price and who should I get to do it...handyman or a floor company?
I am selling my house VERY soon and need to find someone soon. Is it realistic to have someone do this in a weekend?
Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
You definitely want a floor company to do it- not a handyman (at least not most handymen). The cost is going to be higher than most larger refinishing jobs because you're talking about such a small area, but it still requires all of the same steps of doing a larger area. If you had 500 or 1,000 SF of flooring to refinish, you might be looking at around $2.50-3.00/SF- for such a small area, I'd say you're probably looking at a minimum of $800-1,000.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Depends on the finish you use. We used Glitsa HP and absolutely excellent product. Our cost was $1.75/S.F. plus the cost of the Glitsa.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:22 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,657,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFAMILIY View Post
Hi-
I need to have my kitchen floors refinished..My kitchen is approx 12 X 12..what is a reasonable price and who should I get to do it...handyman or a floor company?
I am selling my house VERY soon and need to find someone soon. Is it realistic to have someone do this in a weekend?
Thanks for your help!!
I think cost will depend on where you live too. We live in NC and had our hardwood floors refinished last year. It included the kitchen, dining area, powder room, and living room and cost approx. $1700. We used a reputable flooring company and we were very happy with the results. (We checked with the BBB before we hired them.)

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,674,056 times
Default Plus factor in the condition of the floor

It is everything mentioned above, plus you have to factor in the general condition of the floor and are there any difficult areas. Same old, same old, tradefolks look at every job different. Every one is unique, plus a lot depends on their work load at the time. You don't tend to give super bargains when booked in overload. Lots of competition typically gives a lower price, they only can charge what the market will bear.

Location is a biggy, the number of folks in the business.

Yes, I would avoid general handy men like the plague, get somebody who does it everyday and is well equipped to deal with your floor.

If the floor requires extensive sanding or repair you can expect to pay more. If it is just a lite sanding and refinish then you get a better deal. It is possible to do a chemical prep with little or no sanding, usually they use a screen to buff out instead of sanding, quick and cheap. Depends on how picky you want to be. Areas that require hand work add to the job cost, especially if there is a a lot of it like a counter overhang kick space, etc. Sometimes sanding is not required, they can do a cleaning procedure and refinish immediately, might be possible if the old finish is in good repair. You didn't give any pixs as a guide.

The price of materials especially the finish effects the final price. Just remember the customer pays for everything. Also remember many tradefolks work portal to portal. They factor in things like travel time, time to do the quote, etc. Someone very local is usually going to have the better price.

As mentioned the quality of the finish product is important, plus how many coats are they using.

Just a guess, $700-800 dollars might be a good price for a room of that size, with moderate prep. What I remember from the Boston area a few years back. Price is anything the market will bear and how established the fellow is.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 PM

96 posts, read 434,786 times
Thanks everyone...I will keep all input in mind!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,526 times
lovemaine-
I am also in NC. Can you tell me the name of the business you used for your hardwood floor refinish?
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House