Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

Go with cast iron. It will last you your lifestime as well as your children's lifetime. Get the preseasoned ones and you will never need anything else. Yes, it's heavy and that is what made me shy away from cast iron initially - and for a realy long time, but when I finally got a camp in the woods, I needed something I could use on directly on a campfire as well as on the gas stove and cast iron is it, hands down.

Black goes well with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Have to agree with the recommendations for the cast iron. I tried every type of cookware out there and just didn't even want to try cast. Until somebody gave me one. Now ALL my cookware I use everyday is cast iron. Even heat, and, properly seasoned it is almost perfectly non-stick. Remember to stick with US made Cast Iron, not for patriotic reasons, but for quality control reasons. The US is the only country that has set standards for the make-up of the metal that can be called Cast iron, and that the use of heavy metals in production/make-up is forbidden. I have Lodge cookware and will never go back to "regular" cookware.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
It is time to update my pots and pans...I am a moderate cook and have had a Farberware set for ages. Now it is time to update...for some reason I am drawn to Circulon but they have so many types...I like the look of the Circulon Elite but am open to suggestions...budget is approx. $200-250 for a 10 piece set which is the prices I see on Amazon...thanks all.
I recently bought a 10-piece Kitchen-Aid stainless steel cookware set. I love it! I wasn't used to cooking with stainless steel, but got used to it fast. The reason I went with uncoated cookware is because no matter how careful I was with my previous set, the coating still got scratched up. The set I purchased was originally $200, but it was on sale and had a rebate on it, so I ended up paying only $90. I also like the fact that the lids are not glass. (I bought the set at Kohl's. They have some really great sales on cookware sometimes!)

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
I have had the Calphalon Professional non-stick for about 10 years and I love it. I have had to replace my 8" and 6" skillets because I'm pretty rough with them, and the non-stick coating wore out. The anodized sides have been very forgiving. You really shouldn't use metal spoons,spatulas, etc when using non-stick, but I always do.

I think what's most important in a pan is making sure the sides also have the same 18/10 steel, that is where you see a lot of expense adding up. All Clad is supposed to be about the best, I just couldn't afford it, and I don't think they offered the non-stick surface that I really wanted. I will say all my Calpalon pots/pans are beginning to show the wear on the non-stick surface, so I may be shopping in another year of so. I also have enjoyed the fact that the glass llid on my 2 gallon pot also fits 2 of my skillets, so that's quite nice too.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
You should never put really good stainless steel pots in the dishwasher. Over time, the sand in the dishwasher detergent will pit the stainless steel.

Good quality cookware is worth the expense in the performance and durability. There's no reason to have all the same line or a matching set. Different types of pots are better for some things than others. Non-stick coatings are problematical and toxic once they start scratching. Never use a non-stick pot with high heat as it gives off its toxins under high heat. Just learn the age-old techniques for making things not stick to the pot. (baking soda and hot water soak cleans just about anything burned on).

Spend what you can afford on the very best pots a little at a time and it will reward you forever.

The very best, low expense type of pots is well seasoned cast iron. Keep the seasoning up and it is non-stick. Iron is a poor conductor of heat but the mass and slow heating characteristics mean even heat. It is not good for things that you need quick control over as the pot will retain a lot of heat and continue cooking for quite awhile after the heat is turned off.

All clad is very good. Treat it well and it will treat you well.

I've ruined a Le Creseut pot with high heat searing - the enamel is not up to it. Cast iron is much better for that.

My favorite frypan is a Mauvielle solid copper with a SS lining. The great conductivity and decent thickness of the copper make for a wonderfully responsive pan. I found it on sale and it has been well worth the money.

A more recent find is the new Emile Henry Flame Top line of pots. They sell them as a substitute for cast iron. They are a high fired and very durable ceramic that can go directly on the stove top. It has all the best attributes of clay cooking with the convenience of being able to take high heat for searing on the cooktop. And it cleans up beautifully. Like cast iron, it retains heat and cooks for a while after the flame is off. They have become my favorite pots in short order. And these can go into the dishwasher with no problems.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
you may think I am crazy, but I would try the QVC line...my friend SWEARS by it. I think it is called Cooks Essentials. I have some sort of Calphalon and I really don't like it. The handles get hot, and it seems to chip. And it was expensive. When we are ready I am going to try the QVC. AND, you have 30 days to use it and return it for a full refund if you do not like it. I believe my friend puts it in the dishwasher as well. This is a friend who buys top of the line everything and yet she bought and loves these.
By the way, I used to work at Williams-Sonoma and know a bit about pots and pans. If you ever REALLY want to upgrade, I would go with AllClad in the Stainless Steel or the copper core...There is also Copper but that tarnishes easily.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I've had great success with Emeril's stainless steel 3 qt pot. It was pricey, so I intend to purchase a little at a time from open stock pieces rather than as a set. The bottom does not warp, which was my problem with other cookware on top of a ceramic cooktop. I hate the wobbling!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
If the original OP is still interested in buying the Cirulon Elite, Cooking.com has a good deal going on right now. The 10 pc set is advertised at $249.95 with a bonus gifts of an Everything Pan and Dutch Oven. You can also get $5.99 shipping with the coupon code advertised on their site.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You can buy better cookware that you otherwise could not afford on E-bay. We bought la Cruset (or whatever) on E-bay one piece at a time and got it really cheap. Yes it is used "icky" but so are your brand new pans once you use them a couple of times. After six months, there is no difference between them.

The La Cruset stuff is really really heavy. Other than that, it is wonderful to cook in. Plus it comes in blue to match our kitchen!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Actually, I just bought a brand new set of Le Creuset on Ebay for a great deal. You don't have to buy used from there. I found a 7 pc set for $220 plus $29 S&H. This set generally retails for over $400.

Do your homework before purchasing an item on Ebay. Many items on Ebay sell for as much or more than your regular retail stores. Good deals can still be found if you know going prices beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House