Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:01 PM

480 posts, read 667,831 times

Advertisements

Can you hire a person to review a parcel of land to determine what options are available for building sites, and to recommend where you would best site a house on a parcel?

What do you call this kind of professional?

How much do they charge for their services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Typically these are skills that a professional architect that has experience with new home construction would possess, especially if they are training in aligning a home for maximal solar heat gain in winter / minimum solar load in summer.

Of course most such architects would very much expect to be hired to custom design a home for the site and be paid either as a percentage of the whole project OR at an hourly rate that is reflective of their typical compensation... Architect Salary Information | Best Jobs | US News Careers

Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 PM

480 posts, read 667,831 times
I have the floor plan that I need, so I wouldn't off hand think an architect would be needed.

I'm interested in placing the house in the most valuable location on the property based on views, egress (during winter), and future value.

I'm not sure an architect is the best person to answer those questions.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Well if not then who the heck would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I have the floor plan that I need, so I wouldn't off hand think an architect would be needed.

I'm interested in placing the house in the most valuable location on the property based on views, egress (during winter), and future value.

Seriously, all good architecture schools make a point of teaching these things -- Choosing The Perfect Building Site -- A Quick Site Evaluation | BuildingAdvisor

Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
An engineer who does land surveys.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Right, like that is a thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
An engineer who does land surveys.
OMG, have you any idea why no such beast exists? Let's start with the fact that surveyors are not trained AT ALL in any of the things that would be needed to assess the suitability for any parcel to be used for any purpose. The training they do complete is all geared to accurately translating data from a real world site to a legal description of the parcel in text/numbers/2d images. They can operate computerized transits and GPS devices, do the work that the ensures a parcel complies with its legal description, even validate the benchmarks for a major project but beyond that you are frankly showing your utter lack of experience... I suspect any real estate agent that has actually talked with a property surveyor would instant understand why they are not capable of answering any of the questions the OP has anymore than the nice optician that fits me for eyeglasses would be helpful if I wanted advice on what kind of camera I should buy, though they both are about looking through something one device is nothing like the other.

Secondly there is no reason for any engineer to be have the skills needed to really determine the aesthetic or even future value of a particular siting. Think this through, a civil engineer is trained to basically determine how some built thing, often infrastructure, could be placed almost anywhere. Side of hill, down in a valley, middle of river, they can design the reinforcements to make it stand through anything. Do they ever receive any training in how make something "homey"? They literally would laugh if you tried to hire them for the task the OP wants to accomplish. Ditto for construction engineers and folks that make their living assessing the structural soundness of building.

You know what Licensed Professional Engineers get paid to write up reports about some proposed infrastructure? Engineering Salaries Continue to Rise Despite Concern Over Shortages | National Society of Professional Engineers, why would they waste time driving out to some silly field that the OP wants to build their "pattern book" house?

There is no way anybody is going to bother combine a relatively low paying endeavor like surveyor with something that pays about double -- Land Surveyor Salary (United States)

It would be like seeing a physician when you want to buy a bandaid or having some guy from a Indy Car pit crew work at Jiffy Lube...

Architects study the ins and outs of site selection and proper orientation of homes -- Courses | The Illinois School of Architecture That is who the OP should contact and their own reluctance is probably a real good indication that their project is never really going to end up being as smart a use of their funds as it could be...

Architects and Designers - Bob Vila
Quote:
Architects and designers cost money … but they can also save you money. In the short term, the savings may be reflected in more informed purchasing of materials and labor, as designers or architects may be familiar with economical solutions. ... In the long term, good design work is as important to the resale value of your house as structural matters
Sounds EXACTLY what the OP wants to accomplish...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-19-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

There is a lot more required to build a house properly than just a "floor plan".

Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
OMG, have you any idea why no such beast exists? Let's start with the fact that surveyors are not trained AT ALL in any of the things that would be needed to assess the suitability for any parcel to be used for any purpose. The training they do complete is all geared to accurately translating data from a real world site to a legal description of the parcel in text/numbers/2d images. They can operate computerized transits and GPS devices, do the work that the ensures a parcel complies with its legal description, even validate the benchmarks for a major project but beyond that you are frankly showing your utter lack of experience... I suspect any real estate agent that has actually talked with a property surveyor would instant understand why they are not capable of answering any of the questions the OP has anymore than the nice optician that fits me for eyeglasses would be helpful if I wanted advice on what kind of camera I should buy, though they both looking through something one device is nothing like the other.

Secondly there is no reason for any engineer to be have the skills needed to really determine the aesthetic or even future value of a particular siting. Think this through, a civil engineer is trained to basically determine how some built thing, often infrastructure, could be placed almost anywhere. Side of hill, down in a valley, middle of river, they can design the reinforcements to make it stand through anything. Do they ever receive any training in how make something "homey"? They literally would laugh if you tried to hire them for the task the OP wants to accomplish. Ditto for construction engineers and folks that make their living assessing the structural soundness of building.

You know what Licensed Professional Engineers get paid to write up reports about some proposed infrastructure? Engineering Salaries Continue to Rise Despite Concern Over Shortages | National Society of Professional Engineers, why would they waste time driving out to some silly field that the OP wants to build their "pattern book" house?

There is no way anybody is going to bother combine a relatively low paying endeavor like surveyor with something that pays about double -- Land Surveyor Salary (United States)

It would be like seeing a physician when you want to buy a bandaid or having some guy from a Indy Car pit crew work at Jiffy Lube...

Architects study the ins and outs of site selection and proper orientation of homes -- Courses | The Illinois School of Architecture That is who the OP should contact and their own reluctance is probably a real good indication that their project is never really going to end up being as smart a use of their funds as it could be...
You know, chet, I've been here a long time and am used to your brusque attitude, but your response here is so far off the rails that it is just ... alarming.

What, were you traumatized by a surveyor once or something? Time to step away from this thread.

Either way, you're just wrong.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Hell a good GC worth his salt can find the best building site. Nothing like experience to be the guide...

Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Yeah Chet, I need to buy you a drink or something to mellow out a bit. Let's get right down to it, there is no "perfect" siting on any property, only siting that best suit the needs of the user. Even "Falling Water" has siting issues.

Some sites need to have core samples of the soil taken, some need to have access issues addressed, some don't need much of anything.

I would no more hire an architect to lay out siting for a farm than I would a cow. However, I would take the advice of an experienced farmer and couple that with the recommendations of a GC or architect. In siting theatres there are only a handful of people that theatre owners trust. In China, it is somewhat common for an expert in feng shui to be consulted on projects.

For a single family dwelling, no comprehensive siting determination would even begin without an interview with husband and wife, finding out what the requirements and desires are. Outside factors can play a part, but all of the competing needs have to be balanced.

So to answer the original question, yes you can hire people to assist in the decision. What are they called? Gluttons for punishment, perhaps. The problem is in finding someone who knows to ask the right questions and then can communicate why certain things work better than others. The best person might be an architect, or a GC, or a surveyor, or even the old grandma living two doors down, who knows the land structure from before it was developed and where farmer Jones buried his trash to fill in a gully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House