Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:19 PM

410 posts, read 586,627 times

Advertisements

We've had our french door style for about 10 years and I love it. I use mainly fresh food so there isn't much in our freezer. It's nice to be able to store big trays of food for entertaining.
When we got it the ice dispenser took up the whole interior of one door so we opted not to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:37 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I have a french door/freezer bottom and a side by side. I much prefer the french door fridge, although I am thankful for both.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:41 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Love this fridge. Side by side, no ice maker, no water...... nothing to break.

If I want water I have a sink 2 feet away. If I want ice, I simply have 2 small ice trays. Keep it simple.

I prefer the side by side because its easier to access and see things. With my old fridge, things would get buried and go bad because they were forgotten.

LINK

Old 09-03-2015, 05:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
this is our first French door and I like the width on top and the easy space usage on bottom.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I didn't know these existed when I bought my bottom freezer french door refrigerator. If it ever has to be replaced I'm getting a stand alone refrigerator only and stand alone freezer only. Like these.
Whirlpool 31 in. W 17.7 cu. ft. Freezerless Refrigerator in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WRF57R18DM - The Home Depot

Whirlpool 18 cu. ft. Frost Free Upright Freezer in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WZF79R18DM - The Home Depot

I would put the refrigerator where my current one is and the freezer on a blank wall in the kitchen.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I would rather bend over to get things out of the freezer than bend over to get things out of the refrigerator. I had a side by side and did not like having to put pizzas in sideways. It just didn't hold that much so when it quit I got a freezer on the bottom and the cooling part on top. Works for me.

Ice makers are nice but I have heard of several people having to get walls replaced when they dropped water out and rotted the walls and floors. I chose not to get anything with water connected to it.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I didn't know these existed when I bought my bottom freezer french door refrigerator. If it ever has to be replaced I'm getting a stand alone refrigerator only and stand alone freezer only. Like these.
Whirlpool 31 in. W 17.7 cu. ft. Freezerless Refrigerator in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WRF57R18DM - The Home Depot

Whirlpool 18 cu. ft. Frost Free Upright Freezer in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WZF79R18DM - The Home Depot

I would put the refrigerator where my current one is and the freezer on a blank wall in the kitchen.
I like the idea of two separate units but are you aware that a chest type freezer keeps food cold longer in case of an electrical outage? Hot air rises so a chest type freezer is the better. I know there are other considerations but thought I would mention that. When we were first married his parents gave us their old refrigerator which had the very small freezer in the center. As soon as we could afford it we bought a small chest type freezer for our utility room. These two worked great for us until we could afford the side by side. By that time the chest freezer was getting old too. I sometimes miss my chest type freezer. I didn't know you could get a stand alone refrigerator either. Great idea!

Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I don't really like the side by side nor the freezer on the bottom. I prefer the freezer on top.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:35 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Do you like french door, side by side, etc. I think the french door type look interesting but not sure I want to bend down everytime I want something from the freezer. Also, wonder how much room the ice maker takes up. Would like to know what your preferences are.
I spent a LOT of time deciding on this for a new fridge last year (I ultimately didn't buy, for an unrelated reason).

I decided that a side by side is the best for me. The reason is that it's the style that has the largest amt of freezer space. I have a side by side now and always have the freezer packed full. I also like that a part of both sides (fridge & freezer) are at eye level, instead of just the fridge.

If I got a different style, it would have a smaller freezer, and I'd have to buy a small chest freezer for the garage.

I spent a lot of time looking at the bottom freezer styles. I ultimately decided I didn't like the freezer on the bottom because it's like a chest freezer in that when I pull out the drawer, I'd have to dig in it, like a chest freezer.

The thinking of bottom freezers is that they aren't opened often, so it doesn't matter that it's on the bottom. I open my freezer a lot less than the fridge part, but I still open it a lot, since I use my freezer a lot.

If I got a bottom freezer, I prefer the ones where the door opens out sideways, instead of a drawer. But they don't make them anymore I think.

About the ice...I use ice trays instead of icemakers. I was worried that pulling out a freezer drawer would cause water in the trays to spill.

My second choice would be a top freezer. I would have to get a chest freezer for the garage if I got a top freezer. It's hard to find a quality top freezer (where there are separate temp controls for the freezer), but a few do exist. The advantage to top freezers is that they tend to cost less than other types.

Whatever you buy, get it on a good sale! I found while looking that fridges went on great sales several times a year.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I am tall and anything on the lower shelves of a conventional fridge is instantly forgotten. A year ago we bought a side by side and we were both disappointed with it. The icemaker took up most of the top of the freezer and would spit ice cubes and ice water at you. After we moved we are back to an old top freezer. In July we used a french door for a week and I liked it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House