Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:33 PM

153 posts, read 244,753 times

Advertisements

I have a really dirty sink. Not only the sink but the turning on/off that is suppose to be stain is a bit black. Then the wall as you can see is pretty stained. I did use a knife to scrap a bit on the sink handle and it does seem to get a bit of the spots out but not that much.

Does anyone here have tips on what i can use?

I have vinegar, baking soda. I did use baking soda on the sink and it does seem to clean it just a bit.

What about the wall? I assume a knife scraper would possibly work? Or should it get repainted or is there any liquid that can get the dirty spots on the walls back to original color.
Attached Thumbnails
How to clean a really dirty sink and walls?-rsz_1img_0890.jpg   How to clean a really dirty sink and walls?-rsz_img_0892.jpg   How to clean a really dirty sink and walls?-rsz_1rsz_img_0891.jpg   How to clean a really dirty sink and walls?-rsz_img_0893.jpg   How to clean a really dirty sink and walls?-rsz_img_0894.jpg  

How to clean a really dirty sink and walls?-rsz_img_0896.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:13 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
TSP is a strong cleaning product for the walls that is not especially dangerous. It is a powder that you mix in water. I would first scrub everything down with that. It might be harsh on the chrome, just because of the grit, so go easy on the faucets. Another name for TSP is tri-sodium phosphate and you can buy it where paint is sold.

If there is still some stain on the sink there is a product tht removes corrosion. Maybe someone else remembers the name of it.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Okay so get tsp then scrub it down. Would paper towel be fine or would i need to use cleaning scrub?

So this should clear both the wall and the sink?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,635 times
I use Pledge. It has to be name brand and a microfiber cloth. You let it sit for just a few seconds and a little elbow grease in circular motion. Walls are white. It even takes off neon finger paint. My 18 month old grandson decided to paint my flat paint wall. No paint removed. Try a tooth brush and Pepsodent toothpaste on and around your faucet. If that doesn't take all off the metalic part jewelry cleaner usually does the trick.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
My tip, assuming you rent the place or don't want to spend much. I'd skip attempting to clean the faucet mostly because it's a cheap crap import anyway. You can buy a new one at HD for 20 bucks. Take the old one off and now you can get to the sink to clean it with 000 steel wool pads also available at HD. Once it's clean, use any car polish you have to make it shine like a diamond in a goats but. The walls I would repaint the walls to a color real close or matching the current color. Then go to HD and buy a piece of clear plexiglass and screw it to the wall behind the sink. That will take care of any splattered crapola later. Or you can work yer buns off and it'll still look like crap when yer finished.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
With TSP you should use a sponge, not paper towels. Even a rag totally submerged and wrung out would be better than paper, which will get torn up. Use a clean rag for rinsing. The TSP will remove the gunk, but will not remove corrosion or rust stains very well. But it will get everything healthy clean.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:50 PM

61,663 posts, read 87,041,175 times
For the sink I would use The Works. Spray/pour over the black areas and let it sit for 30 min or so. Then get a pumice and rub it all over the sink.
You can finish it with Bartender Help (powder) till it get a lustrous white shine. Yes, it will be nice and clean.
Bartender Help would also clean your faucet really nicely.

The Works you can buy in Dollar stores or your grocery store. ( cost ~$1)
Bulk The Works Tub & Shower Cleaner, 16 oz. at DollarTree.com

The Barkeepers Friend is also available in Lowes, Home Depot. Great stuff. (~$2)
https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/cle...soft-cleanser/

Pumice works great to clean sinks, bathtubs and toilets - removes hard water stains, and mineral deposits. (~$1-2)
Body Benefits by Body Image Pumice Stone - Walmart.com

The wall you can clean with a water with some bleach (wear gloves!). Or spray it with 409 and wipe with a cloth. Not sure if you get good results. You might have to paint it over.

To clean all that stuff you can use any old white cloth (even a piece of your old white shirt, washcloth or such, or an old sponge). I wouldn't recommend paper.
And I would not recommend TSP:
http://www.ledizolv.com/LearnAbout/L.../lszsixarg.asp

Last edited by elnina; 09-04-2015 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
Wear gloves with whatever you clean it with. And ventilate the room..open windows, use a fan to ventilate.
Don't mix any of the chemicals either.

Do you own the sink or rent it?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:04 PM

when spraying the wall with bleach, how long to leave it on before wiping it?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
These things are surprisingly effective -- http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Magic-Er.../dp/B0047SCJWI

I have found them much cheaper at some local stores and they are almost CRAZY effective, to the point where you can remove PAINT if you are not paying attention.

They are disposable and you will learn that there is narrow window of pressure that is "just right" to get them to clean without shredding but once you get the hang of it they are hard to beat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House