Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 AM

29 posts, read 145,988 times

Advertisements

Got a quote in Atlanta area to move existing, separate-breakered 220V dryer outlet from wall containing actual service panel to adjacent wall.

I can't use an existing outlet because the dryer vent is on the far side of adjacent wall and the washer hot/cold water spigots and drain are in between. Maybe I should instead buy extended hoses for hot/cold water and the dryer vent?

The wires are behind drywall (not currently exposed).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Yeah, that sounds about normal since it sounds like they have to go around plumbing and existing venting to do it. Unless you want them to conduit it and not have it hidden in the wall, then I'd think it shouldn't be quite that much.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Not surprising- especially for such a small project. Most electrical contractors charge between $75-125/hour, and even though the job itself may only take an hour, they've got to pick up material, drive to your home, do the work, and then get on to the next project. They also need to cover the time it spent to give you the estimate that you're questioning

Also bear in mind that copper prices have got through the roof in the past few years- even if we're only talking about moving the outlet 5', there could easily be $50 in materials.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Not surprising- especially for such a small project. Most electrical contractors charge between $75-125/hour, and even though the job itself may only take an hour, they've got to pick up material, drive to your home, do the work, and then get on to the next project. They also need to cover the time it spent to give you the estimate that you're questioning

Also bear in mind that copper prices have got through the roof in the past few years- even if we're only talking about moving the outlet 5', there could easily be $50 in materials.
Yeah, when I found a licensed electrician that would change my 60amp fuse box for an upgraded 200amp breaker box, and only wanted $800 I jumped all over that one.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Thanks

RoaminRed, your logic is sensible and Bob, thanks for reminding me about the copper.

I really appreciate all your comments.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
I am an Electrical Contractor. Not saying the priice is reasonable or not, but I score this type stuff as severe PITA. (Pain in . . . ). Don't mean to be giving any bad attitude, but if there is not at least $1,000 involved there is just little profit for the pain.

A possible cheap way out is to put an ad in your local craigslist. Title it something like "Electrican -- Install Dryer Plug." Describe what you want and name your price, and see what calls might get from guys who are slow on work.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I am an Electrical Contractor. Not saying the priice is reasonable or not, but I score this type stuff as severe PITA. (Pain in . . . ). Don't mean to be giving any bad attitude, but if there is not at least $1,000 involved there is just little profit for the pain.

A possible cheap way out is to put an ad in your local craigslist. Title it something like "Electrican -- Install Dryer Plug." Describe what you want and name your price, and see what calls might get from guys who are slow on work.
Not a great idea IMHO. If not licensed,( still could be an electrician), Mr. handyman could create big problems....

Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 AM

Default Good to know

Thanks for all the input, Bones and Philip. If anything, I've been convinced that extending hoses is not the way to go. I'm going to get the licensed electrician in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House