Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 AM

153 posts, read 277,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Don't know what else is involved... wall repair, paint?

The ones I've changed out were about $350 in materials and the always figured a day from picking up the materials and making the swap...

Never had to price a 200 amp breaker so that could be more... here 100 or 125 is standard for the main because we don't have A/C and use gas for heat and hot water and sometimes cooking.
What were you charging for those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COD1628 View Post
What were you charging for those?
I was doing them as part of property renovation... property I owned so only expenses were material and permits.

As mentioned... adding quotes will give you an idea of what the job is worth in your area.

If I owned the property I would want to clean up the wiring which might not require changing out the box...

Old 09-18-2015, 03:21 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
That is a Zinsco panel. They are no longer in production, so replacement parts may be hard to find, and expensive. They also had an issue with aluminum bus bars (the bars that run down the middle where the breakers make contact). Over time oxide may form on the aluminum causing poor connection with the breakers, which can lead to arcing, overheating, and possibly breaker failure.

This panel is packed. Personally, I would replace the panel, but that's just me. It looks like its 200 amps, so should be plenty big. But its a Zinsco.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Yikes, what a mess!

Last edited by tickyul; 09-20-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Hey Ultra or Barking Spider. What are those large tubes running across the top of the panel?
Ultra...where do you see evidence of overheating?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:35 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
What are those large tubes...?

...where do you see evidence of overheating?

You are clearly a person that should never remove the cover of a breaker panel.

Not "tubes"- that the main lines coming into the panel from the meter. It may or maynot be "overheating", but there are two sets of wires at the bottom of the panel that "appear" to have been overheated due to the blistering on the sheathing.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:36 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
How about the 2 white wires attached to the breakers, one near the top and one just below the middle? That certainly looks "suspicious" to me.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Not "tubes"- that the main lines coming into the panel from the meter. It may or maynot be "overheating", but there are two sets of wires at the bottom of the panel that "appear" to have been overheated due to the blistering on the sheathing.
If I had to guess, it looks like someone pulled them in pretty harshly and got the outer jacket coating hung on the edge of the conduit, connector or a box.

Definitely an ugly panel though. Something like that would bother me as it would be near impossible to work on it (not that there seems to be any room to add circuits) or trace something out. I'm not normally afraid to work in a hot panel, but I wouldn't even think about going in there without turning the main off. If they were as slipshod pulling in everything as those two larger conductors, there is likely be a few nicked wires lurking about.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

I have been in a few dozen panels. Even designed a light duty equivalent. I missed the turn in the two main feeds first time I looked and though they went on down the panel. That made no sense.

The wires to the 50 amp breaker at the bottom look strange but the pattern is also visible elsewhere and may be something other than heat damage.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:57 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Sherifftruman is right. There is a clear plastic coating on some wires that can get damage like shown in the photo. As long as the wire sheathing is intact, there isn't a danger.
Every Zinsco panel I have seen has been very crowded. They would be a mess to try to work on. When I see them I usually recommend an upgrade (because of the busbar issue). I have opened a bunch that the bus bar is so corroded there are holes in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House