Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 06:41 AM

25 posts, read 37,627 times

Advertisements

Current Condition: http://imgur.com/1wgOKJC
Proposed Design: http://imgur.com/h7DetGA

Well first of all the 24" Lid is broken. Basin brand is Jackel (SPF 24x36) .

I am looking to replace the pump (It works but why not while i'm down there) and get a new lid. I'm going to have to caulk the new lid in place as all the bolts are rusted off.

Pump is a Zoeller M267 ~ $300
Some people recommended Tramco 400S

My question is if my proposed design will work. I want to be able to slide the lid off easily to access the pump for maintenance/replacement.

EDIT
I'm reading some sources say to install the check valves horizontally. My proposed design would not work if that is the best way. Called Jackel about the check valves and the gentleman said I can install them either way but I'd still rather install it horizontally.

Last edited by justnutsandbolts; 09-17-2015 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Well, if "your" design isn't going to work with the check valve horizontally then put it vertically. It's not rocket science- they work either way.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 PM

More problems
Album

Basin lip has broken off sections...

Is it code to install these below ground?
It'd be much easier for me to cover this one up and place one on top of it

Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnutsandbolts View Post

EDIT
I'm reading some sources say to install the check valves horizontally. My proposed design would not work if that is the best way. Called Jackel about the check valves and the gentleman said I can install them either way but I'd still rather install it horizontally.
There is different types of check valves, some need to be installed horizontally.

The real problem I would look for here is if the pump is designed to start with all the water in the pipe above it. That's going to create a lot more pressure the pump has to overcome when the pump starts and it may be designed to backflow into the basin once the pump ends it cycle. It can't do that if there is check valve above it.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Is it code to install these below ground?
It'd be much easier for me to cover this one up and place one on top of it

S#!T rolls down hill- that's why it's placed the way it is.

If you were to abandon this one and put one on top of it where do you think the S#!T is going to go that goes into it now? If you think that vertical pipe that you marked as waste in your first picture is the only source feeding the sump there wouldnt be a need for the sump! You must have a bath on that same level- that's what's feeding the sump. When you remove the lid you should see an inlet- and it shouldn't be the pipe previously mentioned.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 AM

No I have nothing in the basement floor level. All waste comes from the first and second floors into the basement.

They apparently did it this way because the pipe in street is higher than the basement level of the house.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
No I have nothing in the basement floor level. All waste comes from the first and second floors into the basement.

They apparently did it this way because the pipe in street is higher than the basement level of the house.

You may not have a bath but its definitely roughed for a bath- hence the reason for the sump

According to your notated pic that would not be necessary- the discharge line is barely above the floor. No need for the main wasteline to go into the sump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House