Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times

Advertisements

Okay....OP.....first thing you need to get a handle on is that you are in no way, shape or form ready to build anything, nor even act as your own GC--assuming you even "could" assume such a role.

Second, no sensible builder, or trade, is going to have you involved in any meaningful way in their work. Maybe you can sweep the floor or stack lumber/bricks, but in so far as actually "doing the work", no way. All this stuff about "I can save 25% of the cost by doing the work myself" is 99% of the time a pipe dream. It is akin to the folks who "build a cabin" for $65/sq foot...until they start to pay for the roof, the windows, the plumbing, the HVAC, the electrical, the kitchen....and then they are up to $200/sq ft like everyone else.

There are NO shortcuts.

So, back to reality. For the kind of specific...it seems sort of "green', sort of "prepper"....type of work you are asking about, figure $150 at a minimum for your house (plus the land and site work). That assumes you can really scrounge bargains on brick, windows, stick lumber for roof, etc. It assumes you can get an electrician or mason or HVAC guy who can "work" you in. Basically, save money wherever you can.

More realistically, figure $175/sq. ft. and a 10% "oh, i wish I had included that in my plans" reserve on top of that. For your 1600 sq ft house, that means your cash stash going in should be in the $280,000 to $310,000 range--plus property.

Drop some of your odd ball ideas (like all brick with no framing) and you can cut that back. But with your ideas, and getting it drawn up by the architect, approved, and contracted out, you are talking the high end.

Quite honestly, there is no cheap way out. "Custom", which is what you are talking about, is expensive. One of a kind, high quality materials, specialized contractors....they don't come cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 02:31 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,498,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Okay....OP.....first thing you need to get a handle on is that you are in no way, shape or form ready to build anything, nor even act as your own GC--assuming you even "could" assume such a role.

Second, no sensible builder, or trade, is going to have you involved in any meaningful way in their work. Maybe you can sweep the floor or stack lumber/bricks, but in so far as actually "doing the work", no way. All this stuff about "I can save 25% of the cost by doing the work myself" is 99% of the time a pipe dream. It is akin to the folks who "build a cabin" for $65/sq foot...until they start to pay for the roof, the windows, the plumbing, the HVAC, the electrical, the kitchen....and then they are up to $200/sq ft like everyone else.

There are NO shortcuts.

So, back to reality. For the kind of specific...it seems sort of "green', sort of "prepper"....type of work you are asking about, figure $150 at a minimum for your house (plus the land and site work). That assumes you can really scrounge bargains on brick, windows, stick lumber for roof, etc. It assumes you can get an electrician or mason or HVAC guy who can "work" you in. Basically, save money wherever you can.

More realistically, figure $175/sq. ft. and a 10% "oh, i wish I had included that in my plans" reserve on top of that. For your 1600 sq ft house, that means your cash stash going in should be in the $280,000 to $310,000 range--plus property.

Drop some of your odd ball ideas (like all brick with no framing) and you can cut that back. But with your ideas, and getting it drawn up by the architect, approved, and contracted out, you are talking the high end.

Quite honestly, there is no cheap way out. "Custom", which is what you are talking about, is expensive. One of a kind, high quality materials, specialized contractors....they don't come cheap.
I appreciate your input. Yes I agree. I am not ready to build anything except kind of shed type of structure.

But I am flexible with the choices. Is it possible to reduce building cost by making pour-in concrete structure instead of real masonry? This technology appears to be simpler and faster. Maybe materials cost will be lower; concrete is supposed to be cheaper than brick. But at the same time, reinforced concrete will be stronger.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well do they really care in rural areas? I heard people do a lot of house remodeling on their own even in CA with their super crazy regulations and somehow bypass all this crap.
Rural area means more freedom, no stupid HOA restrictions, less government regulations, more flexibility.

And also is it possible to switch between different contractors? For example, one contractor builds foundation, another contractor does only roof, another does only plumbing, etc.

Will they accept working with my own materials? For example, I got some super deal on brick or concrete blocks and only want to use these materials, but not what contractor is offering.

Also building plan. How much will it normally cost? Can I save cost on outsourcing it to another country there they could prepare it for $50-100? Or I have to own land first and let them inspect this land before starting with a building plan (to figure out the type of soil, ground water, etc.)?
Yes, they care in rural areas! The house I built was in a rural area in SC. Wasn't even on incorporated land. The county would make the builder jump through rings of fire for the stupidest thing. Remember, all those permits cost $$$$ and the county/town/village/city/whatever all want their share of $$$$$. You also don't want Joe the Plumber working on your house when he burned down the last 3 he worked because he doesn't know how to use a blowtorch properly.

Last edited by ss20ts; 09-24-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 02:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
In many (most?) jurisdictions there are exceptions for working on your own home... otherwise you couldn't even re-hang a door or paint a wall without calling a professional.
Where I live I needed a permit to change the hot water tank.....yes that was doing it myself. Why? There has been so many issues over the years that the town requires it. No one wants a gas leak or electrical issue...or a flood.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Default Home Building Arithmetics

Hello!

In next few years I am considering to buy some land and start building a house.
The plan is to split the whole project between several contractors/bids and use only cash.

Ideally I would like to make a couple of rooms livable immediately after a first stage of the building process (one master bedroom, kitchen and one working bathroom) so I can move within a couple of months after roof is done and not waste $$$ on rental apartment. Rest of the house can be built over next few years after I accumulate more cash.

Good budget planning is critically important here, and I need to estimate building cost before buying a land.

I am planning to build a house on East Coast, in Delaware.

Approximately 2000 sq.ft house + 500 sq. ft. attached garage (garage is not an immediate priority, it can be completed later, but garage foundation should be probably completed in a first stage). Two-story house, 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms.

The building technology of my choice is insulated concrete structure (poured-in concrete walls).

I am thinking about Apex concrete blocks (Build With The Block | APEX Block - Insulated Concrete Form - ICF - ICF's - Green Building Block) or similar technology.

Could you please give me some realistic numbers:

1) Water well + septic. Will 20K be enough?

2) Foundation/basement. How much would it cost for the reinforced concrete building (heavy walls)?

3) Insulated concrete walls. Apex website gives a ballpark around 20K (with labor cost).

4) Fireplace + chimney. Have no idea about the pricing.

5) Roof.

6) All windows with installation (around 15 windows total) - two stories.

7) 3 steel exterior doors with installation.

6) All plumbing around the house (but only one master bathroom fully equipped in a first stage).

7) Electrical work throughout entire building.

8) 1st story ceiling/2nd story floors.

9) HVAC.

10) Water heater.

11) Master bathroom (upper-mid class configuration) 220-250 sq.ft. area.

12) Kitchen (mid-class configuration) with granite countertops and complete interior work.

13) Master bedroom (1st floor) - complete interior work.

14) Concrete driveway in front of the house.

These items will be needed first so I can start living in a house and complete rest of rooms later when I get more $$$.

I understand that these prices can vary a lot and depend on many factors and particular contractors, but any more or less realistic numbers will work.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,157,040 times
Unless you want to work with "survivalist" types you are going run into a range of issues with locating land that is affordable for what you want to do, with the proper zoning, and then getting the local authorities to approve occupancy of a "phased build-out"...

It is generally far smarter to buy an existing home that is within your budget.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,849,306 times
Numbers from anybody outside of your local area is a waste of bandwidth. I can assure you the numbers I pay my guys is a lot different than it will be in Delaware. But I would strongly suggest rethinking your plans. If you design the house with a detached garage, you can put in the water and septic/sewer and the garage and live it in once it's finished. I've built several for folks that wanted to go cash all the way but didn't have it all. We finished the house at slab pour (no basements here), frame to dry in, mechanicals, finish out, final drainage. Worked good for them and me. A few we also ran an enclosed breezeway with storage closets between the house and garage.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM

22,415 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post

Ideally I would like to make a couple of rooms livable immediately after a first stage of the building process (one master bedroom, kitchen and one working bathroom) so I can move within a couple of months after roof is done and not waste $$$ on rental apartment. Rest of the house can be built over next few years after I accumulate more cash.
I stopped there, as what you describe cannot be done in my area.
Are you positive it can be done in yours?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I stopped there, as what you describe cannot be done in my area.
Are you positive it can be done in yours?
Maybe legally not, but I not necessarily need to let state authorities know about this.
Are we living in a free country or not?

Anyway this is not a main question. Maybe I will rent apartment and build a house at the same time, this doesn't matter.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Numbers from anybody outside of your local area is a waste of bandwidth. I can assure you the numbers I pay my guys is a lot different than it will be in Delaware. But I would strongly suggest rethinking your plans. If you design the house with a detached garage, you can put in the water and septic/sewer and the garage and live it in once it's finished. I've built several for folks that wanted to go cash all the way but didn't have it all. We finished the house at slab pour (no basements here), frame to dry in, mechanicals, finish out, final drainage. Worked good for them and me. A few we also ran an enclosed breezeway with storage closets between the house and garage.
This is a good point. Actually I don't have any problem with detached garage. Right now I own a house with this type of garage and I like it.
But I read that attached garage adds more value to the property (in case if I will need to sell this house in a future).

But anyway, other things are more important.
I understand, building cost is different in TX. But when I compared building cost in different states using building cost calculator (Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator), the numbers were very close for various states, and surprisingly it gave higher number for TX compared to DE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House