Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 PM

6,747 posts, read 5,042,545 times

Advertisements

Our house is ten years old, and has R-22 A/C units. The condensers (outside) are a bit of an experimental water-cooled system built by a company (Freus) that is no longer in business, and this part of the system is on its last legs.

We are faced with the dilemma of changing everything to R-410A, or just replacing the condensers outside using dry-charged R-22 units. I've read about and think I understand the phase out plan for R-22.

Replacing just the condensers is cheaper and far less hassle. It's doubtful we will be in this house for even a few years, so the real question isn't how long the old air handlers will last, but whether or not a buyer will care that much either way, as long as the A/C is operational. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Our house is ten years old, and has R-22 A/C units. The condensers (outside) are a bit of an experimental water-cooled system built by a company (Freus) that is no longer in business, and this part of the system is on its last legs.

We are faced with the dilemma of changing everything to R-410A, or just replacing the condensers outside using dry-charged R-22 units. I've read about and think I understand the phase out plan for R-22.

Replacing just the condensers is cheaper and far less hassle. It's doubtful we will be in this house for even a few years, so the real question isn't how long the old air handlers will last, but whether or not a buyer will care that much either way, as long as the A/C is operational. Any thoughts?
Well, the new minimum seer rating is 14. There may be a few 13 seer dry units left out there but be aware that installing a 13 or 14 seer unit on an old coil, will not get you 13 or 14 seer, it will be less. Honestly I would just replace everything.

I have known a few people that have done the dry unit method to get by and they seem to be fine but I tend to like to do things the right way.
Selling a house with all new efficient equipment, can be a good selling point for the home. If I bought a house with a new condenser on an old evap coil and old furnace, it would be the first thing to get ripped out.

One more thing to think about, R22 is getting very expensive and if you ever develop a leak somewhere in the system, you will be paying through the nose to have it recharged.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,163 times
Forget all the nay-sayers out there. Just replace your bad condenser with a new dry unit R22 condenser.
I did this two years ago and it works just fine! You'll save a lot of money in the process.

R22 doesn't need to be replaced unless there is a leak. No leak, no problem....

Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 PM

621 posts, read 1,122,771 times
The indoor/outdoor combo won't comply with the code. If you get caught(inspection for sale of house), you'll be on the hook to meet code as it stands upon getting caught. That means if you slap in a 13 seer now and get caught next year, you'll have to rip out the 13 seer CU for a 14 and the 10(?) seer coil for a 14.
Several mfgs are rolling out 14 seer dry shipped units soon.

The change out you're considering will operate just fine and there are r22 substitutes that will be available for the foreseeable future that are a lot more affordable than r22. An r22 substitute will void the mfg warranty though.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM

btuhack, I don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of older homes that still have functional 10 SEER units. So you're telling me that if they sell their home, they'll have to upgrade to the current standard? bologna

It may be a negotiating point by the buyers who want a newer system, but the sellers can just say 'no'- take it or leave it.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

hikernut, I'm sorry to hear your Freus system didn't last long. I'm familiar with the unit's technology.
Why do you think the unit failed? was maintenance a hassle?

Old 09-19-2015, 01:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,122,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
btuhack, I don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of older homes that still have functional 10 SEER units. So you're telling me that if they sell their home, they'll have to upgrade to the current standard? bologna
You're not paying attention. Equipment INSTALLED TODAY must have a combined SEER of 13. A new condenser with an old 10 seer coil WILL NOT match up to the minimum 13 SEER.

If you get busted in 2018 for un-permitted work, your work must comply with 2018 codes, not the codes as of the date of install. 14 minimum seer is just around the corner so it's reasonable to expect to be held to a combined 14 seer next year whether it be installed then or now w/o a permit.

That's the way it works whether you are aware or not.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Housing inspectors don't have a clue how to check AC units for proper operation let alone SEER matching coils! Haha that was funny, thanks for making me laugh.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:23 PM

6,747 posts, read 5,042,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
hikernut, I'm sorry to hear your Freus system didn't last long. I'm familiar with the unit's technology.
Why do you think the unit failed? was maintenance a hassle?
Deposits from the hard water in Phoenix clogged up some nozzles and coils. The guy who came to service it said he's never seen one more than seven years old. Ours is ten.

An interesting idea, but fails in practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House