U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,335,442 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with induction cooktops?

It will be a new build, no access to natural gas so electric or propane cooktops have been the options.

Is induction a good alternative to gas and how does it compare? Can you recommend a brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:49 PM

12,574 posts, read 48,845,213 times
Here's a read-

Electric vs Natural Gas (or Butane Propane etc.) vs Induction Cooktops and Ranges

Old 10-18-2015, 05:29 AM

4,453 posts, read 7,204,798 times
My folks have one (full electric house in nowhere Montana). I stay with them for about a month every year and am an avid cook... I like the function, how it heats/cooks. HATE that the controls on theirs are all "touch" because it's a Major PITA to change settings, would much rather a real dial or physical switch. I seriously can't stress how much I hate the touch controls... THAT is 100% a design concession, looks over function.

But when I remodel my current kitchen, I'm absolutely going to push for an induction cooktop. It might not be Quite as nice as a GOOD gas burner (crappy gas is crappy from the design stage) when it comes to function/how nicely things cook, temp control and the like, but the lack of open flame, lack of yet Another utility bill, and ease of cleaning up spills all trump the tiny margin of "betterness".

At least, IMHO.....

And no help on brands, I get the feeling it'll be hard to go wrong though. They're ALL top-tier products right now.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:39 AM

2,080 posts, read 5,338,041 times
My house has electric smooth top ranges and I hate the way it takes a long time to heat up the pot and then when I'm finished cooking, the stove is still hot for another 15 min. So I bought a portable induction cooktop for around $50 and have been using that almost exclusively.

It's not as good as gas but much much better than plain electric. The pro is that you can turn the heat up and down and the response is immediate. There is no wasted heat since only the pot/pan heats up. Plus the induction cooktop doesn't get hot.

Now for the cons. It has a loud fan noise. When you turn the heat up and down, it is only changing the % of time the heat/current is applied, not the intensity of the heat. Therefore, you still don't get the precise control of a gas stove. Plus, I agree that a turn knob would be much easier to use instead of the touch buttons.

If you are not committed to installing induction. then just get a decent rangetop supplemented by a standalone induction unit. Then if you ever sell the house, the buyer will see a traditional appliance and you just take the induction unit with you. Plus, you can even do some cooking in the great outdoors if you ever need to. I have done that to avoid stinking up the house.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:18 PM

4,453 posts, read 7,204,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
My house has electric smooth top ranges and I hate the way it takes a long time to heat up the pot and then when I'm finished cooking, the stove is still hot for another 15 min
THIS, what you've described, is **NOT** induction cooking. The market is flooded with "smooth top" cook tops that are standard element heating units, it's actually the vast majority of what you see. Anything that gets hot to the touch, is not induction.

Lets put this another way, my mom is so paranoid about scratching hers that she insists on a piece of paper towel between the cooktop and the pot/pan. They reuse the same couple of pieces until one gets wet... even on high, they don't burn, heck they don't even Brown. Try that with your cooktop and you'd start the paper towel on fire.

A standard electric cooktop uses electricity to head a coil, which then heats everything around it (the tempered glass surface in your case, then THAT heats the pan). Induction simply "vibrates" the metal in the pan, causing it to get hot.

There's only 2 notable downsides to an induction cooktop... you have to use pots/pans that are ferrous (magnetic)... this means no $30 "sets" (though the Tramontina set that was $80 on sale at Walmart works fine ~ they're a 3-ply clad construction like AlClad), and the initial cost of the unit itself.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM

You didn't keep reading my post. I was giving my reason that I went to induction. Please read just 1 more sentence before telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Btw, Induction had to do with generating current from electromagnetic fields which heats up the pot/pan. Vibration is an entirely different force.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

We currently have a Dacor glass cook top with touch controls. Don't mind that too much but get your point, I do dislike cleaning the knobs on cooktops though.
I think the only induction cook top that I saw that had knobs was a Viking model.

From what I have read some of the units have fans, some don't. Certainly a feature to look into.

We have All Clad copper core cookware so we're fine there.
The brand name will largely be influenced by the deal "du jour". Couple weeks ago, Thermador was offering a free microwave with the purchase of a fridge and stove.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:24 PM

OP, when you decide on your purchase, pls let us know which one you will get and your shopping experience like pros and cons to the models you considered. Thanks in adv.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:39 PM

230 posts, read 285,133 times
We have had this one for almost five years. No problems, love it. If it failed we would buy another without hesitation. It is no longer made, but is still probably available if you look hard enough.

GE Profile

Note that it does not have a trim ring. Most do. The rings suck, making it much harder to wipe down the unit. I have no idea why the manufacturers insist on the damn trim rings. Just plain stupid in my opinion.

I have seen one of these unit disassembled. They are extremely well made and are of industrial quality. They are made in Germany. Somebody there makes them for GE.

They also have a 36 inch version for quite a bit more money. It has 5 burners instead of 4.

After cooking with an induction cook top for five years, neither my wife or I would go back to anything else.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
OP, when you decide on your purchase, pls let us know which one you will get and your shopping experience like pros and cons to the models you considered. Thanks in adv.
Sure will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or