Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times

Advertisements

Once again, my armoire is about to burst with old invoices, bank statements, checkbook receipts, etc. I don't know why I cannot bring myself to throw these things away. Is there anyone out there who had this disease and overcame it? Please, share any tips, tricks, or suggestions you may have. Or at least admit you have this problem too so I'll feel a little better I thought about file cabinets but are there any stylish ones out there that won't remind me of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,943 times
I admit it, I am a pack rat too...I have no tips! I have been meaning to get a filing cabinet for years now- I think this will help with the bill statements, medical receipts, tax info, warranties, and things like that.

But I don't know what to do about the greeting cards...coupons.....miscellaneous notes...recipes scribbled onto scrap paper that I haven't recopied yet...store receipts on little paper...and various other pieces of mail, papers, and junk.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
no way-hate clutter. just takes willpower and determination to stay clear of it. put a trashcan right inside the door of where you bring the mail in from and throw away anything you do not need. Anything you do (such as bills) take right away to your desk or other designated place and pay it. Write on the bill the date you paid it and the check number. File it in a cabinent or something. (manilla folder labeled Bills would be fine and then put it in a desk or plastic container) When the check clears, throw it out.
Best thing to do with bills is sign up for electronic banking and sign up with the company for electronic billing and then no mess at all.
One thing I hate is cards...b-day or whatever. The thought is nice but then you always feel obligated to let it sit out for at least a few days. I don't feel guilty anymore. I promptly thank the person for the card and throw it away.
Also, if you haven't used something in a year, thow it out, donate it, or sell it. Don't hang on to I Might Need It Someday. You haven't needed it this far and if the time comes you need it again, borrow it or go buy new. Another tip is: once you get everything cleaned up stick to the mottone thing in, one thing out. So, if you buy a new skillet, get rid of the old one.
My friend is a professional organizer and I have learned a lot.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
I admit it, I am a pack rat too...I have no tips! I have been meaning to get a filing cabinet for years now- I think this will help with the bill statements, medical receipts, tax info, warranties, and things like that.

But I don't know what to do about the greeting cards...coupons.....miscellaneous notes...recipes scribbled onto scrap paper that I haven't recopied yet...store receipts on little paper...and various other pieces of mail, papers, and junk.
go to Target and get a coupon organizer and put them in there. I got a decent one for $4 and I put receipts in the very back of it and coupons in designated sections in the front. Throw the greeting card out...unless it is very special. If it is that special, put it in a frame and hang it up or put it in a photo album. If you REALLY can't bring yourself to throw it out, take a shoebox and place the cards in there. Then if that person comes over you can dig it out to show them you displayed it.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:36 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Once again, my armoire is about to burst with old invoices, bank statements, checkbook receipts, etc. I don't know why I cannot bring myself to throw these things away. Is there anyone out there who had this disease and overcame it? Please, share any tips, tricks, or suggestions you may have. Or at least admit you have this problem too so I'll feel a little better I thought about file cabinets but are there any stylish ones out there that won't remind me of work?
Lots of options on file cabintets. Google file cabinets. Here's one.

http://www.homedecorators.com/newThu...aid=ga.generic

Also, consider a shredder for things that no longer need to be kept that has personal information on it.

Now, do you want to talk about garages?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
You know what Twinmma, that garbage can idea sounds great. I would have never even thought about something so simple. I can throw all of my junk mail away right then and there. I definitely need to look into getting folders, goodness.

Thanks for the link Motormaker. I'll check it out when I get home. I had a shredder years ago and it broke and I just got lazy with buying another. I absolutely need to get one of those.

And no, I do not want to talk about garages, LOL

Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
I love to purge and give/throw stuff away. I hate clutter and piles - it makes me anxious!

With three little boys, I deal with school papers, art work, books, clothes and TOYS! Keeping up with everything so things don't accumulate and make is an ongoing process.

Mail - I open it immediately and toss almost everything that isn't a bill. Newspapers/magazines - I don't keep any papers from the prior day or magazines from the months before. Old bills - I have a file on each and every bill, and every year I shred the contents. Everything is on-line, so why the need for the hard copy?

As for the kids' toys, if they haven't played with it in months, off to good will it goes. I promise you, none of them have ever asked for anything that I've given away.

Some people just have an issue that they cant part with their "stuff", I didn't get that gene - so to me all of this is a no brainer, but I do know that it is a big problem for some. I think the best way to start is with a few big black garbage bags.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
You need to find have how long you legally have to hold onto that stuff.
Once you know that, keep what you should, and circular-file (THROW OUT) the rest!
Trust me, you won't miss it. I used to have a small closet full of junk like that, and it is so liberating to get rid of it.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
I love to purge and give/throw stuff away. I hate clutter and piles - it makes me anxious!

With three little boys, I deal with school papers, art work, books, clothes and TOYS! Keeping up with everything so things don't accumulate and make is an ongoing process.

Mail - I open it immediately and toss almost everything that isn't a bill. Newspapers/magazines - I don't keep any papers from the prior day or magazines from the months before. Old bills - I have a file on each and every bill, and every year I shred the contents. Everything is on-line, so why the need for the hard copy?

As for the kids' toys, if they haven't played with it in months, off to good will it goes. I promise you, none of them have ever asked for anything that I've given away.

Some people just have an issue that they cant part with their "stuff", I didn't get that gene - so to me all of this is a no brainer, but I do know that it is a big problem for some. I think the best way to start is with a few big black garbage bags.

Good luck!
I agree 100%! Nothing makes you feel as in control and organized as purging and throwing stuff!Keeping up on that stuff makes it so much easier if you have to sell your house and move too.I just prefer to do it all along then to have a huge decluttering job all at once.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I agree 100%! Nothing makes you feel as in control and organized as purging and throwing stuff!Keeping up on that stuff makes it so much easier if you have to sell your house and move too.I just prefer to do it all along then to have a huge decluttering job all at once.
Great point! Since we have moved 4 times in 8 years (selling/buying houses each time) I couldn't agree with you more. We just moved again in October, but I bet you I could go down in the basement and find more stuff to get rid of - it's really never ending...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House