Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:07 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

I've never had a set of cookware in my life and all I've done is buy cheap pots and pans as I needed them. Well, now I want to buy a nice set of cookware.

The problem is, I'm at a loss as to how to clean these pots and pans when they get grease burnt on to them on the outside. I'd like to keep these looking really nice, but I'm not the neatest person when I cook and I'm afraid that after a couple of months, my new cookware will look just like my cookie sheets after I've had them a while, looking full of baked on grease. I have no idea how you get that stuff off. I've tried baking soda, vinegar, bleach, you name it, I've tried it.

I had a pan that I actually rubbed the finish off of, trying to get the grease out. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 04:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Barkeeper's Friend works great.

If you have non scratch pans do not use anything that can scratch them like metal utensils.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
What type of pans are they? I have All-Clad stainless steel pots and pans, and I clean them with the stainless steel scrubbies available at the grocery store and regular dish soap.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:28 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I hope you haven't bought copper bottom pans. If so, when clean they look lovely but it is a life's job to keep them that way. Every little thing discolors them. If the bottoms are stainless, do like Randomparent says above and use Brillo or SOS pads.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I hope you haven't bought copper bottom pans. If so, when clean they look lovely but it is a life's job to keep them that way. Every little thing discolors them. If the bottoms are stainless, do like Randomparent says above and use Brillo or SOS pads.
Yep! Works like a charm, with minimal elbow grease, but only if you have stainless steel pans. Do NOT try this with other types of pans!

Old 11-07-2015, 10:38 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've never had a set of cookware in my life and all I've done is buy cheap pots and pans as I needed them. Well, now I want to buy a nice set of cookware.
What do you plan to buy?
How much is not cheap?
What do you want in a set?
What do you really need/use?

Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
A lot about keeping pots clean has to do with their quality and how you cook. Don't over cook food on the burner unless you need the fond to add flavor. I have an all clad piece that I regularly cook steak in and I always take out the brown bits with wine and a wooden spatula, which becomes the sauce. The pan then cleans up beautifully. Also don't start to cook anything until the pan is hot enough and has the proper amount of oil or butter. You can do the same thing with water if you're not planning to deglaze the pan. Over high heat, add water to help scrape off the burnt pieces and don't do this with cookware that is not meant for high heat. Then rinse and wipe dry.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
If people would just learn to SOAK their cookware and bakeware - not for hours, just 15-20 minutes or so - they would save themselves a ton or scraping, scouring and scratching...not to mention, wear and tear on an expensive pot. Make use of that sink basin in your kitchen! Fill it will hot water and a dish detergent like Ajax (great grease-cutter), and 15 minutes later, that junk will rinse right off!

The only thing this does not apply to is cast iron. NEVER soak that!

Old 11-07-2015, 02:46 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

The only thing this does not apply to is cast iron. NEVER soak that!
In fact I hardly ever wash my cast iron fry pan. I just hide it in the oven. That way it stays just as stick-free as Teflon. A good wipe-out takes most everything off.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:18 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
If you get burned on food in the bottom of your pot, empty the food, then put a few inches of water in the pot. Heat the water and burned on mess, and the burned on mess should cook right off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House