Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:51 AM

15 posts, read 18,418 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone so our natural gas company is as crooked as they come. Denying payments saying confirmation numbers don't exist ect. My bill for them was 70-90 a month. Only think on natural gas is the heater. Well the bill every month in the winter is 75-90 and the electric goes from 165 to 140 or so in the winter. My question is I think I can heat my 1200sf home with 4 radiator heaters would this be ok? All opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,173,997 times
Try it and see what happens ........

If your electric bill increases by more than $75-90 using your new idea ... you know you made a bad choice.

Forced heated air via natural gas fired gas furnace is a much more even / smoother type heat for your home

Radiant electric resistance type heaters get a small area really warm while distant areas stay cooler.

Electric heat is much more of a fire hazard as well

Best of luck

FYI - You may want to invest in a heat pump to work in conjunction w/ your gas fired furnace.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM

15,737 posts, read 20,293,560 times
Id' say i's still stick with using natural gas for heat over electric

Old 11-09-2015, 07:56 PM

621 posts, read 1,114,763 times
4 electric heaters will get you 20,000 btu's and you'll probably need more like 60k +/-. Keep the gas and pay them with unrolled pennies every month (your bank will need a couple days lead time to fulfill your request).

Old 11-10-2015, 05:41 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,082,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
Hey everyone so our natural gas company is as crooked as they come. Denying payments saying confirmation numbers don't exist ect. My bill for them was 70-90 a month. Only think on natural gas is the heater. Well the bill every month in the winter is 75-90 and the electric goes from 165 to 140 or so in the winter. My question is I think I can heat my 1200sf home with 4 radiator heaters would this be ok? All opinions are appreciated.
Rather than spend more on another heating source, try to figure out how to resolve the matter of the company not applying your payments.

When you call to make a payment, do you talk to a real person? If so, get his/her name every time. Repeat the confirmation number to that person.

If you don't talk to a real person, jot down the date and time of your payment along with the confirmation number.

Paying over the phone and getting a confirmation number leads me to think you are paying with a debit or credit card. The payment should be showing up on your statement of that debit/credit card account. That in itself is proof of payment.

Contact your governmental agency that deals with utility businesses.

If you pay with a money order, there may be a toll-free number on the money orders that you can call to see if they were cashed. (Maybe. I don't know this for a fact.) The money orders have numbers (just as checks do), so write down the money order number as well as the phone number. If there is a problem with the bill, you can probably get some answers with these numbers.

And lastly, IF you are using checks or money orders, fill them out in ink. When I worked at a collection agency, I was shocked that people filled out these (legal documents) with a pencil . . .

Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM

11,087 posts, read 10,647,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
4 electric heaters will get you 20,000 btu's and you'll probably need more like 60k +/-. Keep the gas and pay them with unrolled pennies every month (your bank will need a couple days lead time to fulfill your request).
LOL. When I lived in St. Louis, MO I had a friend who did exactly this. Every month he would walk into Laclede Gas's main office downtown with $80 or so in loose pennies. They hated him, but there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 AM

22,342 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
They hated him, but there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.
Sure there was.
They could refuse to accept the pennies.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:56 AM

244 posts, read 512,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sure there was.
They could refuse to accept the pennies.

As far as I'm aware a business can not refuse U.S. Legal tender regardless of if its penny's or other. They could however require that it be rolled or make him sit there while they count it to make sure it adds up to the billed amount. If I had to do that poor persons job I would make him sit there get halfway through and forget where I was and start all over again lol.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:58 AM

22,342 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Maybe this will change your opinion....

Legal Tender Status

Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM

244 posts, read 512,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe this will change your opinion....

Legal Tender Status

Ah yea makes sense must be a corporate policy in place that makes them take it. But i know one guy got his car towed went to the tow place and paid in penny's. The business called the cops and the cops made them take the penny's as payment. as the article says though it might fall under states law depending on where it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House