Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 AM

7,996 posts, read 10,360,749 times

Advertisements

Gas stove, electric oven. Electric stoves do not allow you to increase or decrease the temperature quickly enough. Gas ovens don't cook as evenly as electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 11:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,531,274 times
Prefer gas stoves. My current home has electric, with the glass top. I thought it looked so cool.....

Yikes I hate that thing. I have a Revere Ware stainless steel copper bottom cookware set from the 1970's and those pots "dance" on that cooktop and never seem to heat very well. I just bought a pre-1968 10" skillet off of eBay to complete my set. I went to fry some chicken and the oil never got hot enough even though I had it on high for about 20 minutes. I put the chicken in and it barely sizzled......ugh. Cast iron? Forget it, I won't even try.

I'll have to get a "cheapie" cook set to tide me over until I sell next year.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:29 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,610,293 times
I'd rather have a gas stove, but electric stoves aren't that bad. Certainly not as bad as I thought they'd be before I moved into my first apartment with an electric stove. Before that I always had gas stoves. I was so apprehensive about it and usually passed over apartments with electric stoves, until I found one I absolutely did not want to pass over because it had an electric stove.

The only things I absolutely cannot do on an electric stove is char wienies and corn tortillas and warm up flour tortillas directly on the burner grate/heat element. To warm up flour tortillas I usually use one of my frying pans, which is adequate. I've never tried charring things, but I guess I could do so with a grill pan if I ever really wanted to. I don't have a grill pan, though.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:36 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,610,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Induction can't blow your house up.
I will say the thing I like most about electric stoves is worrying less about fires and especially gas leaks/an unlit pilot leading to an explosion. My current apartment is entirely electric and I love that I never worry about any sort of gas explosions. I'm sort of an irrational worrier and when I had gas stoves, gas water heaters and home heaters, I sometimes preoccupied my mind with the possibility of an explosion some day.

Now, though, I must admit that I've sort of moved on to worrying about electrical fires, especially in the wiring behind the walls.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:34 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,667,129 times
Gas. I can cook much faster on Gas Stove then Electric Stove. Better control over high and low flame temperature as compared to Electric Stove makes cooking interesting in Gas Stove. Electric Stove only delays cooking and increases Electricity Bill.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,788,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I will say the thing I like most about electric stoves is worrying less about fires and especially gas leaks/an unlit pilot leading to an explosion. My current apartment is entirely electric and I love that I never worry about any sort of gas explosions. I'm sort of an irrational worrier and when I had gas stoves, gas water heaters and home heaters, I sometimes preoccupied my mind with the possibility of an explosion some day.

Now, though, I must admit that I've sort of moved on to worrying about electrical fires, especially in the wiring behind the walls.
Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe all modern gas stoves now utilize a piezoelectric ignition. it will even automatically engage once the temp gets too low and it senses no gas flow with the handle in any position other than off. no pilot light...much safer.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,887,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe all modern gas stoves now utilize a piezoelectric ignition. it will even automatically engage once the temp gets too low and it senses no gas flow with the handle in any position other than off. no pilot light...much safer.
Can you still use that system when the power is out?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:48 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,520,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Which one do you have or which do you prefer? I like gas stoves better because when I am through cooking, I can turn it off and not worry about it overcooking my food. I can cook with an electric stove too, but it isn't as exciting. It doesn't give that same experience as the gas stove does. I wonder why the electric stove is so hot (no pun intended, ok maybe a little) anyways.
GAS! Definitely! I'm house hunting and am dismayed at the number of houses with electric stoves. I just hate them.

I like gas because when you turn it on, it's on, and when you turn it off, it goes off. In a hot locale like I live, I don't want lingering heat, or having to worry about a pan continuing to cook on the hot electric burner that was turned off.

I've also used my gas stove to cook on in power shortages. I could buy a coleman stove for those occasions, but I don't need to, if I have a gas stove.

Gas is also cheaper than electricity.

I prefer electric OVENS, though. Food tastes crisper or something, and seems to cook faster.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:43 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,788,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Can you still use that system when the power is out?
yes...its called using a match or a lighter

Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,887,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
yes...its called using a match or a lighter
Good to know, but a step backwards from just turning it on like I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House