Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 PM

41,710 posts, read 74,654,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Can you still use that system when the power is out?
Turn the gas on and hold a match to the burner. The match acts as the ignition or pilot light when the electricity is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 06:06 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,020,768 times
Quote:
Good to know, but a step backwards from just turning it on like I do now.
Yeah, but a HUGE step forward from having nothing at all when the electricity is out, as you'd have with an electric range.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:15 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,854,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, but a HUGE step forward from having nothing at all when the electricity is out, as you'd have with an electric range.
Well yes, except I already have a gas stove that just turns on when I ask it to, even when the power is out.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times
I prefer gas because of the reliability but electricity for safety. I have never heard of anyones house blowing up because the electricity went off.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,020,768 times
Quote:
Well yes, except I already have a gas stove that just turns on when I ask it to, even when the power is out.
Then you have an unusual gas stove as most of them these days have an electronic ignition which is what makes them turn on when you ask them to.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 PM

32,757 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Gas ! You can cook when the power is off ! And I prefer a gas oven to an electric because when I make pizzas, the electric doesn't burn off the moisture and it's harder to get a crisp crust (and that's a major thing in my life).
Yes you can, and I've done that.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,854,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Then you have an unusual gas stove as most of them these days have an electronic ignition which is what makes them turn on when you ask them to.
It's not unusual in the least, it's pre-electronic ignition. I know someone who bought a new standard pilot light stove about 3 years ago, unfortunately it was not as well built as my current one.

I've never used one with the electronic ignition, although I have used an induction stove at a friends. (more than I ever want to spend on an appliance though!)

Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,134,594 times
I finally relented and bought my wife a gas stove this past summer. I grew up using one in my parents' home but have used electric for the past 50 years. She had always used gas before moving here 15 years ago.

Sure, gas is nicer to use, but it's much more difficult to keep clean. I get "instant" heat adjustment with electrics by moving the pans around on the burners. I mean, yeah, gas is easier, but once you get used to cooking with electric there's not really much difference.

My uncle was killed when his house exploded from a gas leak. A couple friends of mine survived an explosion only because they were still in bed when it happened. The mattress saved 'em! (And they were sleeping in late that morning.) I have gas for heat and hot water, so this is only adding a little, but it IS more dangerous, and that's compounded with me, since I have no sense of smell. Hearing isn't that danged great either, these days!

So from our house it's a split decision. And my wife has 50.1% majority vote.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:03 AM

32,757 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I finally relented and bought my wife a gas stove this past summer. I grew up using one in my parents' home but have used electric for the past 50 years. She had always used gas before moving here 15 years ago.

Sure, gas is nicer to use, but it's much more difficult to keep clean. I get "instant" heat adjustment with electrics by moving the pans around on the burners. I mean, yeah, gas is easier, but once you get used to cooking with electric there's not really much difference.

My uncle was killed when his house exploded from a gas leak. A couple friends of mine survived an explosion only because they were still in bed when it happened. The mattress saved 'em! (And they were sleeping in late that morning.) I have gas for heat and hot water, so this is only adding a little, but it IS more dangerous, and that's compounded with me, since I have no sense of smell. Hearing isn't that danged great either, these days!

So from our house it's a split decision. And my wife has 50.1% majority vote.
Thank goodness for the .1% majority. Sanity rules. The gas stove is no more dangerous than the gas water heater.

I grew up with a gas stove and had to learn to work with the electric beast. I did, and I didn't like it.

Now you're cooking with gas!

Old 11-11-2015, 06:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,626,869 times
I grew up in a home and later in an apartment that only had a gas stove. I loved it but when I moved to Florida everything was electric and I got used to it and prefer it now. Plus having a gas pipeline into your home is a hazard that I do not want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House