Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 04:05 PM

60 posts, read 68,637 times

Advertisements

We have a 45 year old ranch that when inspected showed signs of a possible chimney fire and loose mortar between the clay tiles. We installed a wood burning insert two year ago and have not regretted it once. The only danger your situation has is structural, will the firebox support a decent insert. They weigh at least 200 lbs for a decent one. The next company that comes in may be able to tell you if you can support it. Regarding cost: many of the inserts we looked at started at approx. 3000 with installation including the tube costing another 1000. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 04:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
From the inspection report, the liner is ok but the brick needs to be repointed/mortared. Century old brickwork often has this problem. I took care of the clearance to combustibles by re-flooring the whole room with tile.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:05 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
That's likely correct, but the house is nearly 90 years old and has survived numerous earthquakes (California coast here). So, I feel that it would've fallen over by now or done some structural damage.
Sometimes the structural damage is a fire when the chimney has problems that let the hot gasses get to the frame of the house

Quote:
The house is on a foundation (crawl space) but no basement. The ground will soak up every bit of rain, no standing water, so I don't suspect that's going to be an issue.
Looking at the report it appears the flue liner is okay but the rest of the fireplace has issues. I suspect that moisture (rain) has come down the chimney and the mortar was one of the older types that wasn't very moisture resistant. That is a problem here on older structures on the east coast

When we put a fireplace insert into our fireplace years ago (about 20) we were advised to do a direct connection from the insert to the flue. That was almost impossible because we had a 'heatalotor' (metal tubes that run around the firebox and thru the smokebox that use convection to circulate warm air into the room) We should have cut them out so we could run a flue pipe from the insert/stove to the flue. A neighbor had actually cut the heatalator out. Our Chimney sweep who had helped him said he would never try that again. So we slid the insert in and sealed it at the front of the fireplace. I do not think that would meet current standards (we removed it before we sold the house a dozen years ago)

Old 11-20-2015, 07:36 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Are you allowed to have a woodstove in your area ? Do you have enough storage area for a 2 year supply of seasoned dry wood ? Do you have to buy it ?

Wood stoves are designed to work with certain size liners....6" or 8". Run a liner all the way for safety/ efficiency and ease of cleaning.

Look at a woodstove installation specs for distances for it....

Great place for help/info....

The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces | Hearth.com Forums Home

Last....go with the gas....

Last edited by Bones; 11-20-2015 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 PM

353 posts, read 427,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Are you allowed to have a woodstove in your area ? Do you have enough storage area for a 2 year supply of seasoned dry wood ? Do you have to buy it ?
It's not that cold here, maybe 2.5 months of the year it drops to needing heat.

Yes we can have a wood stove, by technically.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:29 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i saw on tv where they reline a chimney by installed a balloon chute then filling outside with a concrete grout mix

Old 11-21-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Looking at the report it appears the flue liner is okay but the rest of the fireplace has issues. I suspect that moisture (rain) has come down the chimney and the mortar was one of the older types.
Very likely as it is more or less wide open.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:00 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher View Post
We have a 45 year old ranch that when inspected showed signs of a possible chimney fire and loose mortar between the clay tiles. We installed a wood burning insert two year ago and have not regretted it once. The only danger your situation has is structural, will the firebox support a decent insert. They weigh at least 200 lbs for a decent one. The next company that comes in may be able to tell you if you can support it. Regarding cost: many of the inserts we looked at started at approx. 3000 with installation including the tube costing another 1000. Good luck
I had the same experience as exphysics teacher had. I will add this. You are losing heat up that chimney because of the damper's condition. How big is the room that the insert will be in because older houses don't have an open architecture? Have the chimney repointed unless it's really falling apart which would indicate a rebuild. They will put a liner in the chimney and you will need a chimney cap. Use only newspaper to start fires. The wax fire starter sticks clog the chimney cap. My house was built in the seventies and the insert only heats the living room. Buy only seasoned wood.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I had the same experience as exphysics teacher had. I will add this. You are losing heat up that chimney because of the damper's condition. How big is the room that the insert will be in because older houses don't have an open architecture? Have the chimney repointed unless it's really falling apart which would indicate a rebuild. They will put a liner in the chimney and you will need a chimney cap. Use only newspaper to start fires. The wax fire starter sticks clog the chimney cap. My house was built in the seventies and the insert only heats the living room. Buy only seasoned wood.
The whole house is 1300 square feet, but one room is closed off (12' x 10' or so), and really we could close off another 1/3rd of the house by installing a door at the kitchen. We don't need to heat that up at night. So really, not a whole lot of living space...pretty open.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I've installed a number of wood stoves (personally), the last one was in a house built in the 70's. Some of the exterior brick was loose, so I repaired that and actually raised the chimney height 24" and built up a new concrete 'cap' around the top, using sealant all around. That's a big issue with old chimney's- the concrete cap on the very top is cracked or missing in parts, and then rain seeps into the brick mortar and begins to freeze/thaw and crack the mortar joints. Usually creates a 'rot from the top down' situation.

My clay liners inside were in good shape, so no problem there. If you don't have a clay liner, or if it is horribly cracked you really should not install a wood burning appliance. The problem with a wood stove is that you will get creosote build up, even with a modern EPA certified CAT equipped wood stove. Without that fired clay liner that creosote will build on the brick and really cling to those nooks and cranny's, build up, and if you have a chimney fire you are really in danger of having a breach (or brick simply cracking off) and now the fire is exposed to the house. Not a good deal..

No liner- no wood stove. I wouldn't even start a fireplace fire in it.

If you have no liner or if it is really damaged- the easiest solution is to run a quality stainless steel liner pipe sized for your appliance all the way down with the appropriate adaptor in your hearth. Now you can simply plug it in a fire it up. Cleaning is a lot easier- the creosote stays inside the pipe, does not fall onto the smoke shelf, and they have a clean-out on the bottom of the 'T' where the appliance hooks into into it. That will cost you some $$, but it is a safe route to go. However if the chimney itself is in poor shape- you can consider tearing that out and simply installing the appropriate stainless steel chimney in it's place.

If you have a serviceable liner then you can buy an adapter made of flexible stainless steel that can be snaked up and around the smoke shelf and into the fireplace about 4-5 feet until it goes into the lined area. You HAVE to remove the steel damper plate for this install. The flex-insert comes with a stainless steel block off plate that you can trim to fit, and also line the inside of the plate with rock wool. I've installed 3 of those in my life. Not tough to do, but you have to remember that after each chimney cleaning YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE LINER AND CLEAN THE SCRAPED OFF CREOSOTE THAT WILL FALL ONTO THE SMOKE SHELF.

How do I know this? Because I cleaned my chimney twice a year, and I used a Dutchwest CAT equipped wood stove and I thought "Well it really is a clean burner, so I should have minimal creosote." Wrong answer. I had a chimney fire that started from the accumulated creosote that fell onto the smoke shelf after cleaning. I went two years without cleaning off the smoke shelf. Thank-goodness it was a new chimney so the fire simply burned out all the crud on the liner, but it was still a very scary experience.

Lesson learned.

Sorry this is long winded, but It's worth retelling. You need to have a) a serviceable chimney for a wood stove and b) be prepared to keep it really clean.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-23-2015 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House