Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:32 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It does have eaves. Quite wide eaves. They are on the first level, which is common. And a screened in porch on the left, as well as sort of a porch on the right (under the eaves).
Thank you. Yes, there is a screened porch on the side that wraps around to the front. Half of the front has an enclosed Sun Room, which is off the formal dining room.

There are plenty of eves in the house. I have no idea what that poster saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Your house looks very welcoming and cozy! Is this a side or front elevation in the posted pic?

Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thank you. Yes, there is a screened porch on the side that wraps around to the front. Half of the front has an enclosed Sun Room, which is off the formal dining room.

There are plenty of eves in the house. I have no idea what that poster saw.

Second story, no eaves at the end. That overhang on the end wall on the first floor looks to be an add on.

For your screened porch off the side (the left) , where is the inside wall? Does it look like it's been moved in? You would have overhanging eaves on the long side in any event.

The rear long side (the side to the right in your photo), is there a door and where is it placed? What is the framing like for it like?

Old 11-21-2015, 04:59 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
FY.I 2 story ranch style homes at site below, and ranch style homes are not all on ranches. Many of the tract homes in the SW are ranch style. Here are some examples of 2 story ranch homes...some look similar to the OP's.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2+st...HV-RCuQQ7AkIKQ

Old 11-21-2015, 06:01 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Your house looks very welcoming and cozy! Is this a side or front elevation in the posted pic?

Thank you! Many people say that when they see it. When I first laid eyes on the house, she was a bit of a "diamond in the rough". Actually that's how the house was advertised. Along with "old world charm abounds".

That picture was taken last Memorial Day. I sent it to a nephew who is serving in the Air Force. He lives with us when he on leave.

The picture is actually of the side of the house, but we all enter this way.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thank you! Many people say that when they see it. When I first laid eyes on the house, she was a bit of a "diamond in the rough". Actually that's how the house was advertised. Along with "old world charm abounds".

That picture was taken last Memorial Day. I sent it to a nephew who is serving in the Air Force. He lives with us when he on leave.

The picture is actually of the side of the house, but we all enter this way.
That's what I thought a side elevation, by chance do you have any of the front?
It could very well be a kit house, I can kind of tell what the front looks like, sort of bungalowish.i just retread your initial post where you mention craftsman finishes, likely a form of craftsman bungalow.

Stained glass window, inverted dormer, seems like a bungalow to me.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Here it would be called a 'Ranch' style home. Does not look like a kit. I doubt if kits were optional in the '20's.
my neighborhood is full of 1920's Kit houses...most from Sears and Roebucks...
Just wondering what your source of info is?

Sheena, I would guess your house underwent some renovations over the years...
It is a nice house to be sure.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:01 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Here it would be called a 'Ranch' style home. Does not look like a kit. I doubt if kits were optional in the '20's.
Sear sold kit homes from 1908-1940. There were other kit home manufacturers in the early 1900s as well.

It will be interesting to see how well the current crop of mass-produced houses holds up in the next 50-100 years. Probably not as well as these!

Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Just for the record, saltbox houses have two stories in the front and only one in the back, with a roofline that swoops far lower in the back of the house than the front.

The house in question appears to be a mash-up of several styles. Farmhouse, Dutch Colonial, Craftsman, as others have mentioned, with some characteristics of each. Perhaps the people who constructed the additions weren't singing out of the same song book. The basis of it might be easier to identify if we knew what the front looked liked. In any case it has some charm and if it suits your family then it's a Good Ohio House.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It would appear to be a "creation" of someone's vivid imagination.

The porch echoes craftsman style, the main body roof is a gambrel style, the window placement has no symmetry, the garage, I'm sure was a late addition.

In a word, I'd call it a "farm house".
I would have to concur with everything (especially the window placement and lack of symmetry) but
Farm House?
nah :-)
My Grandmoms house in NEPA used to be called 'The Homestead'...it was a circa1870s Victorian farmhouse that was surrounded by 'Company' Houses...

The Owners of the mines bought up the farmland.

The house had a lot of Eastlake influence and was pretty well appointed for at one time the farm was very profitable...
Selling the land to the Mining Co. was even more profitable.

When my Uncles came back from WWII they went to work 'remodeling and modernizing' the house through the 50's and early 69's....Gingerbread was removed from the Three porches, then the porches themselves...replaced with cinder brick and cement stoops...The working shutters were removed and trashed...two stain glass windows sold to the junkman for the lead...Beautiful front double doors used to make a 'bunk' or shed out back....

Big Bow windows were slapped in here and there...it became a lopsided, Frankenstein house...aluminum siding came later....

Luckily a good deal of the interior was saved...the wainscoting, door knobs and box locks.they only put linoleum and asphalt tile over some of hardwood flooring. The pocket doors were of course tossed.

I think some of the OPs house had a taste of some 'modernization' but nothing quite like the rape of that beautiful old home that I visited as a kid.

oh, yeah...the ornate iron fencing with the grape motif was sold to the Junkman too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House