Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,024,131 times

Advertisements

I win. When I moved into my current house there was a small closet behind the main door. The sellers simply overlooked it. Inside were about 2 dozen shoe boxes. There were names on the boxes, but they were old and very hard to read. When I opened them I found that each box contained 2 or 3 smaller containers. Each container was the cremated remains of a lifetime of pets, and a couple of relatives. Some were traditional urns, but others were just miscellaneous food foxes being reused to store ashes. Our closing was made very difficult due to the sellers inaction, so while I didn't really want to return anything or go out of my way at all, I couldn't do anything but return these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:35 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,223,436 times
Hopefully not related to the bullet hole in my front door, I now have orbs floating around in my living room on many nights.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:43 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,222,758 times
When we bought the house, we thought it was pretty well cleaned out (which disappointed me a bit- I was hoping to find some treasures)-including a lot of the lighting fixtures. But, we started finding things-first we found a fireplace behind a wall. Not too sure how long it was walled up for. Then we found an old coal stove in the basement after they moved it old furnace out (it was hiding behind there).

We were showing some former residence what we had been doing to the house before we moved in and when we were in the attic, they found something that was theirs that they took. (They hadn't lived in the house for years before we bought it.) Our contractor found an old china plate under the kitchen floor-I now use it as a place to put my scrubbers next to the kitchen sink.

In the basement where the oil tanks used to be is a piece of paper tacked to the wall dated in the '30s for fuel delivery. When we had our porch was redone, we found a bill for fuel oil dated in the '50s. (The phone #s only had 4 digits.) We also found two paddle-like sticks connected with a piece of leather twine. We had no idea what it was until we asked our local auctioneer who said it was a lard press.

We also found cut out pics from magazines/newspapers glued to the wall in the copula we believe were dated from around the turn of the century. There are also a lot of names. While most were dated after 2000, there were a couple of names dated in the '50s.

I do joke about under the slate slabs in the basement are where the dead bodies were buried.

That is about it. Even though it wasn't much, the fireplace & the stove are pretty cool. We put a mantle on the fireplace but the stove is still in the basement. We have talked about bringing it up-just as a conversation piece but we don't know where to put it. We are also keeping the everything on the wall of the copula along with the fuel delivery chart in the basement.

Everything we have found was part of the house's history and we want to preserve that.

Cat

Old 12-22-2015, 04:55 PM

20,683 posts, read 19,798,340 times
A mop in the vent and a screen door in the ceiling between 1st and 2nd floor. Only found it because we had a water leak so they ceiling had to be opened.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:06 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,952,644 times
Not a house I moved into, but a home someone else recently moved into.

A friend of mine died last year, he collected antiques.

His brother had an estate sale but two upright player pianos did not sell.

So, the new owners of the home got two antique player pianos...... both in working order.

I understand they are very difficult to sell because they are so hard to move.

The new owners moved in about a month ago and I often wonder what they did with them.

Did they decide to just keep them? Search for a motivated buyer? Have them hauled away to a dump?

I am kinda glad I will never know.

My friend had over a hundred scrolls for the pianos and would often play a few for guests.....how he loved those pianos. {The scrolls were all sold at the estate sale.}

Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM

112 posts, read 102,860 times
dvds owed to redbox and gum stuck on the back of the closet door

Old 12-22-2015, 08:03 PM

194 posts, read 244,831 times
Pee on the carpet and splotches of **** in my room when we moved in here, I was 10 ._.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:30 PM

21,869 posts, read 19,019,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I helped my boss move once. We found "Duck flavored Ramen Noodles" in the cupboard.
this is the funniest post i've read in a long time!
actually this whole thread is entertaining, good idea whoever started it

Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM

21,869 posts, read 19,019,005 times
Bees. Lots and lots of bees.

shortly after we moved into a new home, it was brand new construction, we noticed upwards of 40-50 bees flying up into the eaves right outside the baby's window. This worried me as we had two babies and a toddler in the rooms right near where these bees were flying into the eaves. There was no nest visible, the bees were disappearing into the eaves. So we had the area sprayed and then blocked and sealed and voila! no more bees! we did not see a single bee around the house or windows. I felt like we were protecting the babies nicely.

until the next day, and the following several days, the babies who were just learning to crawl on the brand new deep plush carpet started screaming and howling for no apparent reason, come to find out that the bees had been dazed by whatever was sprayed, so they could not fly, however they did crawl hidden from sight in the deep plush brand new very expensive carpet, and the babies crawling kept getting stung on their knees and little hands.

It was horrible, here we were trying to protect the babies only to have them happily crawling one moment and screaming in pain the next. We would vacuum over and over and still never got all the bees.

When people came over to visit and see the new house, the toddler appointed himself tour guide, and would point out "kitchen" "porch" "my room" "babies room" "fireplace" "stairs" and when he got to the living room he called it "bees"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-22-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 PM

8,793 posts, read 15,231,892 times
I don't know. I'll never know.

The house I grew up in had a built in library in the living room. It was built in 1940 and my parents bought it in 1967. One time, when I was a child in the early 1980s and we were on vacation, somebody broke into our house. The person broke the basement door window to the outside to gain access. They then came up the basement steps and took a hammer and screwdriver from our kitchen junk drawer. The person then went into the living room and pried off one piece of the bottom panel of the library. They didn't bother or take anything else. The space behind the panel was covered in dust except for one rectangular area about the size of a shoe box. Whatever they were after had been sitting in there the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House