Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM

323 posts, read 1,967,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
my dryer, sears, kenmore, works as day one.
how old are you,? 15 years. my washer is, kenmore, now 9 years old, as the micowave- the dishwaher way loud, so have the kenmore. of the fridge, side by side white, ice maker works great! love kenmore! 9 yrs young! if you wish the car to drive, the washer to wash, the stove to cook? buy for what they do to meet your needs, not the fad, that to will change.
Well said! I can't imagine who's actually interested in how well their appliances work worrying about what designers and decorators think. I wish that the people we bought our new place from had thought of it that way - all of the appliances are stainless which, while it looks fine, isn't worth the extra money. And these stoopid ceramic top ranges are about the most useless piece of dross I've ever seen in a kitchen. That's the one thing that we'll be replacing since it doesn't do the part that it's supposed to reliably - gas this time.

The appliances we left at our previous home last May were all working fine - with the exception of an electronic membrane/pad on the range that needed replacement - after 12 years. All Maytag, all white and we appreciated them for the entire time that we lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Well said! I can't imagine who's actually interested in how well their appliances work worrying about what designers and decorators think.
I know this is not directed at me, and I am sure that some designers are only interested in how the appliance looks, but i am not one of those.
I spent 3 years selling appliances, with my eye towards garnering knowledge to help my future design clients make an intelligent, informed decision about what they wanted to put in their homes. (and pay me the big bucks, too)

Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Speaking if appliances that look nice but do not work well. Skip the heartland stove. Beautiful - doesn't work worth a darn.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 PM

the fridges arent worth a darn, either, compressors are too small

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,017,381 times
Quote:
And these stoopid ceramic top ranges are about the most useless piece of dross I've ever seen in a kitchen.
I have to disagree. My Dacor cooktop was the best thing I ever owned outside of gas, which isn't an option in my current home. 3 second heat response, cooled fairly quickly (again not like gas), was easy to clean, had different wattages for the different burners (1200 to 2400 for the dual). I loved it and never had 1 problem with it.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 AM

323 posts, read 1,967,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
I have to disagree. My Dacor cooktop was the best thing I ever owned outside of gas, which isn't an option in my current home. 3 second heat response, cooled fairly quickly (again not like gas), was easy to clean, had different wattages for the different burners (1200 to 2400 for the dual). I loved it and never had 1 problem with it.
I'd happily give up the fast heat response on our's in order to consistant heat. Don't know about the Dacor but all that I've read about the Halogen element ceramic tops is that they cycle on/off to attempt to maintain an even temp.

As I think about it I wonder if I'd even have considered moving somewhere where gas wasn't an option? Not at all sure that I would as I prefer it for hot water (still works when the power is out) and cooking.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM

17,447 posts, read 65,806,676 times
Quote:
As I think about it I wonder if I'd even have considered moving somewhere where gas wasn't an option? Not at all sure that I would as I prefer it for hot water (still works when the power is out) and cooking.
That wouldn't be a problem today, especially with underground propane tanks.
I have a builder friend in the panhandle area of FL that built a home for a local chef. The development was total electric- but the buyer wanted a commercial gas range. Solution- underground propane tank. Needs filling twice a year. And the neighbors will only know when the gas truck comes.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,756,635 times
Thanks everyone for your opinions and I'm still deciding. I'm happy to hear that people like the flat top stoves because that's what I wanted but two people I know said they were bad. Maybe they just had bad luck with them.

A few people mentioned about price and yes it does matter. I'm probably going to buy when they have the Presidents days sales and I'm leaning towards Sears because it seems their prices are better. Plus my grandparents always bought from Sears and were satisfied.

I don't want white because I have white now and I really dislike it. I don't have kids, so I don't think fingerprints should be an issue.

What I really can't decide is between the side by side or the french door fridge. I like how the french door looks and it seems more spacious but it's also more expensive. I'm not sure it's worth the extra expense.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Rapture, do your homework on compressors on the 2 fridges you like, bottom freezers are notorious for using more electricity, and the compressors dont last as long.
As for the flatops, I dont care for them, but then, I reallyreallyreally love to cook, so I had a propane tank installed, and have a gas cooktop, which is also a smoothtop, with european style grates, dont have to lift heavy pans, you can just scoot them from one burner to another.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:37 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,571,455 times
I have all white, Kenmore appliances in my kitchen and laundry room. The side by side, ice & water in the door, fridge is almost 10 years old. No repairs yet. I use a filter on the water line. The washer and dryer are about 7 years old I think. Can't remember when I bought them. Also no problems. I remodelded my kitchen in 2004 and replaced the dishwasher and stove. I had a microhood installed as well. I really like the microhood and stove, but I hate, hate, HATE my dishwasher. It's the second one from the remodel. The first one didn't clean well either. I had the stainless steel interior one first, didn't like the way it didn't clean. The second one was installed a month later. It has the plastic white interrior. Still doesn't clean well. I've had the repairman out and he asked me about what soap I was using, how old it was, if I let the tap water heat up before I turn on the dishwasher, if I run my Kenmore, garbage disposal before I run the dishwasher, if I use a rinse aid, etc. Every question I answered and told him I had even tried running a vinegar cycle through the machine. Still no luck. It was recalled once because of an overheating problem. That was fixed. Now I just used the "air dry" feature and my dishes are somewhat clean, but streaky. Oh well. I've never heard of anyone else not liking their Kenmore dishwashers. I couldn't have had two lemons in a row, could I have?

Good luck to you on your quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House