U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:26 PM

1,641 posts, read 3,375,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I've only been selling real estate for a year but in that year not one person has asked for a two bedroom. Most are three with an occasional four or five.
Interesting. For me, in the townehomes, price has been always been the most important consideration, not # bedrooms Generally speaking, the 3 bedrooms were larger, and thus more expensive, thus most were happy with 2 bedrooms. For single family detached homes, yup, most have wanted 3 bedrooms, actually, most have wanted 4 bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,316,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
Thanks for the replies. The 2 bedroom in mention is a townhome (detached though I think) with no yard or patio.

I am also looking at more expensive townhomes with patios (3 bedroom) and homes further out of the city (3-4 bedrooms).

Your opinoins have further confirmed what I thought--that buying a 3 bedroom will be better in the long run for resale, especially since I think we could swing the price.

Thanks!
As I know what she's talking about, I can clarify. Both of them are officially SFRs, but the less expensive version is just like a townhome (actually worse than a townhome because at least in Tucson they all have patios; some of them even quite big). They are still detached, though. The more expensive version is a glorified townhome - detached; has a patio, but it's small (the size of a big room).

Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM

1,834 posts, read 3,710,720 times
In my exprience, 2 identical homes in the same neighborhood with the same everything (square footage, yard, condition, baths) except house#1 has a family room and only 2 bedrooms, and house#2 has 3 bedrooms but no family room will sell between $20-$25k more in my market. Ask your agent what the difference is in your market. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 PM

3,681 posts, read 10,544,882 times
what I have learned, and I wanted only 2 bedrooms for the cost factor. I have 3.
one is the computer room, the other I use for a guest room, and storage.some
homes have the 2 bedrooms and one room for a den. that proves to be a popular option

Old 02-08-2008, 05:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,926,173 times
Take it from someone who has been there. Years ago my husband and I purchased a little 2 bedroom duplex with a nice yard. Both rooms were a decent size. What we didn't realize is that I was pregnant at the time so basically we out grew the house before we moved in. We started trying to sell it 2 years later and all the reactions were "really nice, if it only had 3 bedrooms" (of course they knew it only had 2 before coming in". That was the same reaction for 2 1/2 years.

Especially now a days, even if a couple doesn't have kids, they would like an office and a spare bedroom. It amazes me seeing a couple in 3000 sq ft. houses with no kids. I personally wouldn't want that much space.

My opinion would be if you are only planning on keeping it for a couple of years than I would go with the 3 bedroom for resale. The only way I would consider the 2 bedroom is if you are planning on staying there for a long time, that way I would go with what you want. This is just my 2 cents, I am no realtor, just lived with the comments about 1 bedroom short.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 PM

9 posts, read 37,359 times
Default 2 vs 3 bedroom

Imagine you have a child and a husband - is a 2 bedroom big enough for you now? Probably not. You have high chairs, cribs, bassinets, loads of toys, and more. You need the third room just for storage!!!
Then, imagine the buyer pool as a triangle. At the pointy top of a triangle is a 1 bedroom home, about mid way through the triangle is a 2 bedroom home, and a 3/4 of the way is a 3 bedroom home, and all the way is a 4+ bedroom home. Now, look at the triangle - at the pointy top - there are very few buyers.... but at the bottom with a 4 bedroom home - there are many! Clearly - a 3 bedroom is a much wider and bigger buyer pool. No matter what kind of real estate market you are in - you always want to appeal to the largest pool of buyers.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-08-2008 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Look at new home plans by developers. Three bedroms;two baths and two car garage sale easier and more than pay for themselves in resale.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:00 PM

4,080 posts, read 9,371,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Interesting. For me, in the townehomes, price has been always been the most important consideration, not # bedrooms Generally speaking, the 3 bedrooms were larger, and thus more expensive, thus most were happy with 2 bedrooms. For single family detached homes, yup, most have wanted 3 bedrooms, actually, most have wanted 4 bedrooms.
I agree price is always the most important thing but even with a townhouse, I think a three bedroom is easier to sell then a two bedroom. It might also depend on the area, Ex. near a miltary base, beach, retirement etc...I had a three bedroom townhouse in my twenties and even with no kids would have never wanted a two bedroom. Just not enough space for visitors, exercise gear, desk/computer etc...

Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 PM

1,641 posts, read 3,375,594 times
I certainly don't argue about 3 bedrooms being better than 2 bedrooms - everything being equal. My only point was that price is frequently the most important thing in for a townehome has been the price, as a lot of first time homebuyers cannot afford a 3 bedroom, because they generally cost more.

I had a listing not long ago for a nice SFR-detached, and the biggest comment was, oh gee, if it only had 4 bedrooms. So, yeh, everyone here is right - the more bedrooms the better. But cost is always a factor, that's all I was trying to say.

Last edited by agreatlife; 02-09-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,451,172 times
Get the 3 br, you can always block the central air vents with magnetic covers to keep the hvac costs down.
People like me looking to buy real estate think in terms of
1. i need a place to live
2. will it retain its value?
3. can i make this pay for itself with legal accessory apts or roomates?

if you've got enough sq footage to start with, more options= more seller pool in future. if you're able to build an addition, you can always add the third br closer to when you plan to move, saving the energy demand while you're in it, and cashing in on sq footage at sell time.
hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House