Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

We cook a lot. As in - almost everything we eat. Electrical ovens/range
Here's the thing:
last utilities bill was $ 236. Out of it, $46 was electrical, $25 was prorated "meter readings re-evaluation" and the rest was natural gas. Do your math. Where we live, NG jumps up in price several times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
IMO if the power goes out all things electric in the house are dead including the forced air heating.
We have relied on the gas stove many times to warm the place in power outages .
I like cooking with gas .

Old 01-18-2016, 02:09 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Gas is so easy to control= less burned food, and yes, always works when the power is out.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Watch the Food Network and if you can, check out some restaurant kitchens. You will never find one using electricity. They are all gas because gas just works better.

I bought a house with one of those glass top electric ranges. A true cleaning nightmare. Think razor blades and special cleaning goo. Nasty! When I was shopping for my next house I said an electric range was a deal breaker!

Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I've had both. Right now I'm stuck with gas. Gas stoves are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to keep clean.

I know this is counter to popular belief and maybe even science, but IMHO solid surface electric stoves boil water faster than a gas range.

I have no idea why the ordinary homeowner would need to 'control the temperature'. I get why a chef who has been trained properly to do so would want that. But I grew up with electric, so that is how I learned.

Honestly, I can cook on both stoves, but cleaning a gas stove? NOT worth the trouble.

As for cracking the top? I don't know anyone who's ever done this. My mom is notorious. She burns up pots constantly, but never once ruined her solid surface cooktop.

If wife wants electric, let her have it.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:11 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoperror404 View Post
So we are looking to buy new kitchen appliances, new stove and refrigerator.

We have already picked out the fridge, but im very torn about the stove.

We currently have natural gas, but the wife wants to convert to electric due to the ease of cleaning, and the duel oven feature. I have been reading a lot of "horror" stories about glass top electric stoves dues to cracking and shattering.

Are they as fragile as people are saying, or are they pretty durable, also am i totally crazy going from natural gas to electric?
this makes as much sense as trading your Mercedes for a Yugo

a gas stove is superior in every category

there is a reason restaurants don't use electric stoves or ovens

Advantages and Disadvantages of Natural Gas Energy - Conserve Energy Future

Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
there is a reason restaurants don't use electric stoves
Absolutely not true.
Many (most?) restaurants in Europe have induction hobs.
Great control.
No fire danger.
Gas/electricity price ratio is higher than USA.
Restaurant Kitchen Equipment- US vs Europe

Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,367 times
My wife, a professional chef, is making me re-pipe the NG in the house to install a gas stovetop. But she does prefer an electric oven (two of them) because they control heat more evenly.

Meanwhile, the house we bought has a glass cooktop, now ten years onld. No cracks or problems, but the designs are starting to fade.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Gas rangetop, electric double ovens, with one being really big, are my ideal. Next kitchen redo, amazing spouse says he will do it that way if it's what I want.

True, harder to keep clean, but rangetop with gas is just SO much more responsive, controllable for cooking.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:36 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
I am going the opposite direction. I want to get rid of my electric range so bad that I am having a gas pipe run to the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House