U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM

47 posts, read 3,892 times

Advertisements

I have a house with a cathedral ceiling consuming the entire living room, and only about 1300sqft living space. I wanted to consider the idea of having a loft built between floors for extra floor space. Has anyone done this and what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Anything is possible.
Just depends on how much you're willing to spend.
And will you get that back come resale time.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 AM

4,065 posts, read 13,366,092 times
I have seen it done in several homes and condos... sometimes it works out but often it takes a small area that was comfortable with high ceilings and turns in into a cramped space with the dropped ceilings..

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 22,088 times
Default loft

What is the height, from floor to ceiling? You can run beams off your main beam. Look up on line, when they are making log cabins, most of them have lofts, and they will sell, the blue prints to you.

Drew

Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 39,143 times
Default Cathedral Celings

How is the temperature in your house with such high ceilings? I have 20 ft ceilings and have found the bottom part of my home is cold and the top part is hot. So I feel to add a loft would break-up that section of your home and maybe save on your heating bill.

I am not an attorney nor do I give legal advice, if you are in need of an attorney please consult with your local state bar association for advice.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 PM

51 posts, read 137,350 times
I am glad I stumbled on this forum.

I am in NY and have a living room with a giant cathedral ceiling.
I want to close off the cathedral and add floor above, which would either give me a loft or another bedroom.

I hate the fact that the cathedral makes the living room very cold, plus I would like to have regular height ceiling so that I can close off the room with french doors and make it an office area. We never use the living room since we have a giant family room on both the main floor and in the basement.

I'm just wondering if this makes sense $$ wise.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,209,307 times
You are adding the weight of the floor joists, connecting structure and also what is considered a "live load", the potential maximum weight of furnishings and people on the new floor, so checking your foundation's footing size and condition would be strongly advised. Consult with an engineer, or at least a knowledgeable contractor/architect.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,761,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Toole View Post
I have a house with a cathedral ceiling consuming the entire living room, and only about 1300sqft living space. I wanted to consider the idea of having a loft built between floors for extra floor space. Has anyone done this and what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance!
I used to live in a development of houses like this, and while we never did build the extra room, several neighbors did-I think it cost them about $4000 (several years ago) and they paid pros to do it, just reliable local guys. They didn't have architechs or anything like that. When doing the room, they had to bring the house up to code with the hardwired fire alarms and electricial.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 17,993 times
Default Loft with Cathedral ceilings

Jim, I realize your message is very old but I think you need to look for the word mezzanine - which is what those loft are called. I do believe. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonChase View Post
I am not an attorney nor do I give legal advice, if you are in need of an attorney please consult with your local state bar association for advice.
Good. I would hate to get structural alteration advice from an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House