Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times

Advertisements

I have seen cars where mice ate the insulation off of the electrical wires, result short circuit, car would not run.

When I lived in AZ I had mice roosting in the engine compartment of my golf cart. I bought some poison that got rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
It is not unusual for rodents to nest in cars, especially during cold weather. If your car is making weird noises when the heater is on, you should check the heater, they may already have a nest there. It sounds like your car stays outdoors...can you garage it? That would help.

I know someone who is a mechanic who has told me some crazy rats-or-mice in-car stories...they will strip the insulation from the wires, and fill the headliner with urine & feces!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
My coworker was having some trouble with his truck. I thought it sounded like it was suffocating - he had plenty of spark and gas so what else is there? I cannot believe he didn't check his air filter! Finally stopped running on him and he had it towed to the mechanic. They found a MOUSE had burrowed into his air filter and built a nest of all kinds of debris which had been sucked into his intake. Thankfully it didn't do any real damage and was at a place the mechanic was able to fish it out and clean up the mess.

We have chipmunks in our basement, I fear. We've discouraged the cat from going down there but I'm thinking it's time to build him a scaffold to reach the floor joists.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I have a cat door cut into the exterior wall of my bedroom closet. I have a "catch and release" problem. The mice come in as cat toys, escape, and bunk in. They usually weigh about 10 pounds by the time I catch them from the gourmet dining.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Because you are retired you posted this here? Seriously? Now if the mice were retired....

Last edited by brava4; 02-05-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have a cat door cut into the exterior wall of my bedroom closet. I have a "catch and release" problem. The mice come in as cat toys, escape, and bunk in. They usually weigh about 10 pounds by the time I catch them from the gourmet dining.
Time to cut back on the Cat's food, so he eats it, or otherwise fire your cat and get another.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Time to cut back on the Cat's food, so he eats it, or otherwise fire your cat and get another.
I don't think you quite understand the business relationship here. My cat is master of the universe. I'm staff.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:23 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Living where you do, there is an endless supply of rodents. Mice, rats and squirrels love to set up house in cars. Acorns and seeds will be stashed in assorted places- air filter boxes, glove compartments, heater fans, etc.. Insulation will be chewed off wires, upholstery will be ripped up for bedding.

There are too many to try to trap them, an endless supply. Setting traps baited with food will only encourage *more* guests. Never leave anything edible in the car.

Some say that dryer sheets in strategic places will repel them, I don't know for sure if it works.

I live in a similar situation. The cats kill the ones that come in the house...the cats are no longer allowed out because there are too many things here that eat cats, so I have trained the dog to hunt mice, rats and squirrels (she loves it). It took some time but I finally trained her to just kill them, and not eat them too (rodents carry fleas, which harbor tapeworms, an animal eating the rodents eats the fleas too, which completes the life-cycle of the tapeworm and you see little white things waving at you from the animal's butt, which requires a trip to the vet for medication to kill the tapeworms).

Despite the best efforts of the cats and dog, my running over them with the mower, and shooting the ones that escape the blades...I have been unable to make even the slightest dent in the population. They just keep coming and coming and coming...it used to be cheap entertainment until the cost of ammunition got so high...$75.00 for a brick of .22 shells? Outrageous, the last one I bought cost only $12.00, now a box of 50 can cost that much.

What somebody said about Maine Coon-cats and dogs- absolutely true. I have a one, the dog is a mix of Australian Shepherd and Newfie...the cat has no trouble attacking and fighting/playing with the dog...

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 AM

37,466 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Dryer sheets may help. We keep them in the glove compartment and in the air-intake.

Our service manager told us to shut the air intake every time we park each vehicle. To help keep rodents out.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Haha, this is how I think ours got in also. We had one mouse with a perfect little set up behind the refrigerator, which was half way between the dog food in the pantry and the dryer lint in the laundry room. You've got to feel a little sorry for them, just trying to survive as best they can.

Another time one was living in a purse on the closet shelf....also convenient to the dog food and dryer lint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House