Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I've sampled coffee from the Keurig several times at friends' and relatives' homes. It's a very expensive way to make coffee, but it seems to be a hit with many folks. It's not a hit with me, however. I still like my old Cuisinart drip coffeemaker. I just prefer the taste of a good, strong drip coffee. It's far cheaper to grind your own beans and use a drip coffeemaker, and I like the richness of the resulting brew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
We ditched our Keurig about a year or so ago and went back to a simple Cuisinart drip model. No regrets. K-cups are expensive and wasteful, and I could never get a cup of coffee that was strong enough for my tastes. Plus, our Cuisinart is much small/sleeker than the Keurig and looks better on the counter.
But I don't see it the way y'all do. One cup takes maybe 1.5 mins to make in comparison to a drip coffee maker. Plus, there is a variety of flavors and teas to make in comparison to the Starbucks machine. Then again, you can purchase a reusable K-cup and put your own coffee in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
We had the basket for our Keurig because we were worried about the health effects of the plastic & filling the landfills with more trash! Keurig just kept dying on us all three units, faulty heating elements. Plus they say now Keurig units have dangerous mold buildup in them..So we are thankfully they died, lol..

Still I think hands down the French Press is still the best... Great coffee take times! ....

Doesn't a French Press make the coffee stronger...like an Espresso~?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
I have never liked the taste of Keurig coffee. Never bought one but have been served it many times and also the office had a machine-- no matter the flavor just never like it. I make half a pot of drip coffee in the AM with a Cuisinart.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I have never liked the taste of Keurig coffee. Never bought one but have been served it many times and also the office had a machine-- no matter the flavor just never like it. I make half a pot of drip coffee in the AM with a Cuisinart.
But they also have ice products like tea and they have/had a fruit juice/vitamin C drink berry burst, as well as lemonade, and apple cider.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
But I don't see it the way y'all do. One cup takes maybe 1.5 mins to make in comparison to a drip coffee maker. Plus, there is a variety of flavors and teas to make in comparison to the Starbucks machine. Then again, you can purchase a reusable K-cup and put your own coffee in it.
It depends on how we love coffee, I suppose.

In analogy, I could probably save, at least here and there, if I bought 1.5 L bottles of wine, but I don't, because I love the romance in having wine racks (& the 750 ml bottles that fit them).

It can all rather depend on how we like it.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
I am so embarrassed. I have a French press but can't remember how to use it. Do you put the grounds in before you plunge it or do you put the grounds on the plunger and then plunge it? Please help and forgive my ignorance. I bought it at a thrift store and it had no instructions.

Otherwise I have a Mr. Coffee like a keurig & use that with the refillable thing.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,404 times
DH has a fancy espresso machine, but I like my coffee considerably milder. I've experimented with a variety of machines, including French press. Never did do the Keurig thing, because I was never impressed by the coffee made by friends with those machines. Plus the extra waste that goes into the landfill!

Finally I bought a $15 drip machine at Walgreen's. It makes a max of 5 "cups," which is 25 ounces in the weird world of home coffeemakers. It came with a permanent filter, but I use a paper filter as well.

It's terrific! I make 4 cups, which yields two big mugs. It has a pause-to-pour function, which is great. It's easy to clean. It has a warmer plate that keeps the coffee hot, and turns off automatically after a couple hours.

It has been dripping away for a couple years now, and I couldn't be more satisfied. I do get beans from a local roasterie that roasts when the order comes in, and I imagine that has something to do with it.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
I got this old electric percolator , as it gives a more rich flavor by the more hotter water over the coffee grinds then the drip coffee method, when though some drip coffee machines starts off with more hot water

Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
The most extravagant we ever got was to buy a "grind 'n brew" but it broke down sooner than we thought it should. We use a cheap Mr. Coffee 12 cup drip (doesn't even have a clock for programming) and Great Value dark roast. We like to add a scoop of hazelnut (1:5) for a touch of flavor. Between us, hubby and I drink a pot of coffee every day.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

There is that point about guests, though. A friend has to make a long drive, she asks for a cup of coffee (as I have done), what kind of coffee to I serve up? I'm okay with perk coffee but it is rather harsh and I don't think I would serve that to guests. The answer seems to be instant and that's easy enough for me, both between being able to rapidly produce hot water and having a lot of it around (camping supplies where I carry both ground and instant).
Starbucks' Via makes an excellent cup of instant for those "emergencies." And stirring a pouch of it into your chocolate chip cookie dough will make the best cookies ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House