Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,021,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
All you people who would avoid it can never live in western PA/eastern OH!
With our rolling hills and mountains, there are minimal flat lots.
LOL....I live in Tennessee with rolling hills and mountains...

I don't go looking for potential problems with a driveway sloping towards the garage door with rain, ice, snow....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM

4,323 posts, read 4,266,656 times
Quote:
No, I would buy the house on the other side of the slope with the driveway draining away form the house.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,862,480 times
Quote:

One can by picking the house next to it.

The house OP posted reminded me so much of the home I lived in 25 years ago when I rented a room in NE PA. Layout was very similar (especially the front) but owner converted garage family room. In the 3 years I was there, there were at least a few instance when basement/garage had standing water.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
No, I would buy the house on the other side of the slope with the driveway draining away form the house.
If the front driveway slopes away, the back yard slopes towards.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Every house I've owned had an outward sloping driveway. Inward sloping could potentially have drainage issues. It's also easier to leave the house when the driveway is covered with snow or iced over. I've seen people with down sloping driveways stuck in their own driveway. I was an essential employee and I had to be able to get out.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulatarantula View Post

Nice looking house, but I'll never understand why people build houses in the snowbelt with entryway stairs exposed like that. Even after those stairs are shoveled, they'll still be slippery. Especially when you have freezing rain.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,550,700 times
That driveway shouldn't be a problem. If it's keeping someone from buying the house, they had other issues with it to begin with.

you know, that whole location, location, location thing.....

Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 34,233 times
We do live in a relatively flat area, inverted drives are really pretty uncommon here. This is the only house on the street with this type of setup.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If the front driveway slopes away, the back yard slopes towards.
No, the back yard is very flat. This house is positioned on top on a teeny tiny hill. I can't figure out why they set it up this way to be honest, maybe because setting the front of the house any higher would set it up too high from the back. This is one of those builds that looks like one story from the front and two from the back, but the back yard is definitely flat.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Nice looking house, but I'll never understand why people build houses in the snowbelt with entryway stairs exposed like that. Even after those stairs are shoveled, they'll still be slippery. Especially when you have freezing rain.
We thought the same, but I guess the idea is that you don't often use those stairs, just enter from the garage. We have lots of homes that are set up strange around here, including seemingly dangerous stairways. I agree, it seems poorly planned.

The selling point for this house is the inside. It's impeccably updated, done extremely well and just absolutely beautiful. Very modern and open. We were in awe when we stepped inside. For the price it *seems* too good to be true... Which makes us uneasy of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House