Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

Rheem, along with its subsidiary Ruud, are the largest maker of US made air conditioners. We prefer Ruud against all others as the units use a scroll pump which has shown in our Texas heat to be a long lasting, trouble free unit. Considering the size of Rheem, I wouldn't want to guarantee you that the components or all units are made in the USA. Of those 100% built in the USA you have Coleman and Skil-aire. We've not found anything remarkable about either and as far as I know, none have any distribution in my area. And if there is distribution here it's obviously not competitive.
Seems to be an assumption that assembled goods from Mexico are crap. We've found it to be the exact opposite. Between Mexico and Brazil is where we find the best assembled goods in the building industry. We have far fewer quality issues with the products and it's a plus when we see Made in Mexico or Hecho en Mexico on the goods. Even the wifes Ford Fusion is assembled in Mexico and it's a top shelf car with fit and finish rivaling any of the high dollar German or Japanese cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Welcome to the future under the TPP... I saw a rumor that Ford was gearing up to do the same thing.
Heck, they did a lot of moving already....15 years ago saw a report on 60 min where this guy in Mexico was making $5 an hour (His US counter part was making $17) he was living large in his country....Making auto parts to be shipped to the US.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Trane employs more than 29,000 people at 104 manufacturing locations in 28 countries.

According to Wikipedia, they have 15 commercial and 4 residential product plants in the US.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Hub and I are buying a house soon. We will be sure to not use this company because of this.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
This just means some people won't buy Carrier.

I, for one, will never buy anything made in Mexico again.

My Fiesta ST was assembled in Mexico and it is an absolute piece of trash.

After 1,000 miles, everything in the fricken car rattles. My door panel wasn't even attached right. I could fit my hand between the door frame and the panel.

It's like most things, short-term profits are all that is important. Forget the fact that nobody will buy your piece of junk after a few years.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:10 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
It's like most things, short-term profits are all that is important.
Yep. This is nothing new. Look around your house and see how many things you can find that actually say Made In USA. Most of them will probably be made in China. Carrier is getting notice because somebody shot a video of it and the mainstream media picked it up. But this happens every single day, and it's been going on for a good two decades now. Our job base has been gutted, thanks to trade deals like NAFTA and now TPP that make it easier to offshore jobs to maximize corporate profits. Now everyone is caught in a race to the bottom on wages and benefits. If your competitor is paying someone in Mexico $20 a day while you're paying an American worker $20 an hour plus benefits, and your shareholders are demanding higher profits, guess what happens. Blue-collar workers get sacrificed on the altar of shareholder earnings. On Wall Street, human beings are costs to be minimized.

You can bet the executives aren't losing their jobs or taking pay cuts.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Well the only way to make this move not happen is to have every single consumer out there boycott Carrier. Since that will never happen I am happy to at least have it assembled in Mexico rather than China.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Rheem, along with its subsidiary Ruud, are the largest maker of US made air conditioners. We prefer Ruud against all others as the units use a scroll pump which has shown in our Texas heat to be a long lasting, trouble free unit. Considering the size of Rheem, I wouldn't want to guarantee you that the components or all units are made in the USA. Of those 100% built in the USA you have Coleman and Skil-aire. We've not found anything remarkable about either and as far as I know, none have any distribution in my area. And if there is distribution here it's obviously not competitive.
Seems to be an assumption that assembled goods from Mexico are crap. We've found it to be the exact opposite. Between Mexico and Brazil is where we find the best assembled goods in the building industry. We have far fewer quality issues with the products and it's a plus when we see Made in Mexico or Hecho en Mexico on the goods. Even the wifes Ford Fusion is assembled in Mexico and it's a top shelf car with fit and finish rivaling any of the high dollar German or Japanese cars.

Rheem/Ruud moved to Mexico last year. We no longer sell their products either.

We only sell units & parts that give jobs to Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House