Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baseboards first or carpet first?
Baseboards first 19 51.35%
Carpet first 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM

251 posts, read 168,806 times

Advertisements

I'm a pro, we install the base 1st

leave a 1/2" gap via a 1/2" thick shim before you nail it,

Nail size 2" 18ga

you wont want to work over and on your expensive brand new carpet,
and you will need to touch up the paint

Hope this helps some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:25 PM

936 posts, read 2,079,945 times
Thanks, I will go with 1/2" gap since I bought fairly thick plush carpet. I think it is much easier to install baseboard straight without the carpet. I will shoot the nails to the bottom 2x4 or the vertical studs. I have some super magnets that can helps to identify the studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
I'm a pro, we install the base 1st

Nail size 2" 18ga

Hope this helps some

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 02-18-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
What is with all the negative posts against the OP? DIY house work is not always a walk in the park and as easy as they make it on to be on HGTV and DIY network. It's okay to ask questions. These forums always amazes me.

I would install the baseboards first. Carpets are a wear item, and you will probably want to replace them at some point. Or maybe a color change or when carpets get damaged from pets, kids or daily life in general!

Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
If you want to install and paint your baseboard, leave a tiny gap (1/4 to 3/8) underneath so they can shove the carpet in. Otherwise you are pre-painting, then you have to cover your carpet... My builder guy would install the baseboards first.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vondutch View Post
i'm a pro, we install the base 1st

nail size 2" 18ga

hope this helps some
^^^^^this^^^^^
There's a reason why the absolute last thing to go into a new house build is flooring.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:56 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Wow - people can certainly be rude on this site! I just don't understand why people can't post their advice without the snide commentary. I like doing home improvement work too, but I'm not a contractor - aren't sites like this supposed to be for people to come and ask questions from others with past experiences? Maybe I'm missing the point.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand - definitely baseboards first and if you have the time you should caulk, paint, etc before the come put in the carpets. Leave about a half inch gap between the subfloor and the bottom of the baseboard. We did exactly what you are doing in 2014 and it was much easier to deal with the baseboards before the put the carpet in. Probably the only drawback was that the baseboards got a little scuffed during carpet install, but it was still a lot easier to do touch ups/final coat than trying to do all the work after the carpets went in. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:13 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
I would go baseboard first. If you ever want to change out the flooring you can simply rip up the carpet in an hour and get started on the new flooring. If it's under the baseboard you'd have to take them off which isn't too hard but there's a chance you'll damage the drywall...which could mean repainting the entire room if touching up the drywall doesn't blend in.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 PM

936 posts, read 2,079,945 times
I finished installing baseboards and door trims for two rooms. Hope to finish two more rooms tomorrow before the carpet people come.

Despite my best attempt, there are many gaps because my walls are very crooked. Even the door frames are not straight. I will need to caulk them and use painter's putty to cover up the nail holes.

Here are some pics from my daughter's room. There is a 1/2" gap under the baseboards and door trims. I will clean up before carpet is put in.

Amazingly, the poll stands at 18 and 18 now. However, I think most pros prefer baseboards first.

Thanks all,

Door

Inside the closet

Corner
Attached Thumbnails
Install baseboards or carpet first?-baseboards-1.jpg   Install baseboards or carpet first?-baseboards-2.jpg   Install baseboards or carpet first?-baseboards-3.jpg  

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 02-21-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Looks good.

Now just change out that almond switch and plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House