Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times

Advertisements

The wall mounted unit appears to be the best solution for your situation. That's where I would start the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You are going to need a drain line or a catch bucket. Any air conditioner will collect condensation as it cools the air so you need to be able to handle it.
Yes, that's what I assumed.

It really doesn't get hot enough here to need a/c more than a few days a year, so very few homes have it. My house is a year old and doesn't have it. And I'm happy not to have to spend money on a/c. I do have a cool finished basement room and I guess I should just get an inflatable bed and sleep there when it's too warm upstairs.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:30 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
We had one similar to the LG/Home depot one shown above. Worked great for what we needed it for - an upstairs bedroom. Used the vent tube to blast the hot air out the window and there was a reservoir to catch the water. It wasn't exactly quiet, but it was a "white noise" so not annoying. To me at least.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:57 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Yes, that's what I assumed.

It really doesn't get hot enough here to need a/c more than a few days a year, so very few homes have it. My house is a year old and doesn't have it. And I'm happy not to have to spend money on a/c. I do have a cool finished basement room and I guess I should just get an inflatable bed and sleep there when it's too warm upstairs.

Window units and through-the-wall units drain condensation outside, I don't understand why this is a consideration as it would be with only some of the portable units. For use only a few days a year, I'd probably just get a window unit and pop it in when needed then take it out and put it away again. These things are pretty light now and most rooms can be cooled by a 5,000 btu unit if it's not super hot.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:32 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Window units and through-the-wall units drain condensation outside, I don't understand why this is a consideration as it would be with only some of the portable units. For use only a few days a year, I'd probably just get a window unit and pop it in when needed then take it out and put it away again. These things are pretty light now and most rooms can be cooled by a 5,000 btu unit if it's not super hot.

I think maybe a lot of HOAs get cranky about window units. I don't know if that's the case here but I've seen it happen.

Even here where a lot of the housing stock is old and it's incredibly expensive to retrofit central air (I got an estimate for my house several years ago for $25K), where the Town doesn't have an issue with window units, every summer brings out several rural pioneers who moved here from the close in DC area who come to Town Council meetings complaining about people who are using window units.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:18 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This

The $99 big box store 5,000 BTU window air conditioner. Toss it in the window during those hot spells. Store it in the bedroom closet otherwise.

If you have casement windows that crank open, you might not be able to use a window AC. You'll have to use one of those floor units. You typically have to tape clear plastic in the open casement window and run the hot air vent hose through a hole cut in the plastic. It's ugly but it works.

I have a Fujitsu mini split system. It is quiet, unobtrusive, and extremely energy efficient. If you had bigger cooling needs, I'd recommend spending the money.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Where are you that doesn't have AC? Most of the new homes in Seattle have mini-spilts that provide AC even though we only need it a few weeks a year. We put these in last year and it made the hot afternoons much more bearable.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:02 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
We moved from SoCal to Western WA...we debated selling our portable a/c (think it's an LG), but took it with us "just in case". We haven't used it here yet, but if this summer is a repeat of last summer, it's going to get used. The catch bucket isn't that inconvenient...as I remember, the unit shuts down before it gets too full, so no floor damage. We vent it out the window with included adapter. In SoCal, we just rolled it into the closet when the weather cooled down...which was hardly ever. We bought it at Lowe's, I think. Worth every penny.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:29 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We bought a portable one for our bonus room after removing a window unit. It does not require a drain hose, but it does require venting. This vent can go out the window or somewhere else. We had to cut a hole in the drywall and vent it into the attic. It is like a dryer hose.
I don't believe there is such a thing as a ventless AC unit. The hot air has to go somewhere.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We bought a portable one for our bonus room after removing a window unit. It does not require a drain hose, but it does require venting. This vent can go out the window or somewhere else. We had to cut a hole in the drywall and vent it into the attic. It is like a dryer hose.
I don't believe there is such a thing as a ventless AC unit. The hot air has to go somewhere.
Bad idea. You don't want to vent an AC unit into the attic for the same reason bathroom fans aren't vented to the attic. AC's that vent the condensation pump out gallons of water so putting that into an attic is inviting mold to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House