Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,881,421 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I would like to place a battery operated light at my front door, so it can be turned on/off from the outside, in the rare times it's needed. I don't want to invest the money to do this as a permanent fixture, so am not interested in electric models.

It's not necessarily for security reasons & we've been fine all these years without it (there's a bright inside entryway light that we all put on when leaving the house, which also illuminates the stairs, as 1/2 the door is glass), but it would be convenient for enabling one to more easily find keys in the dark, if the inside light is off. We really don't need it... I just would like to have one & since the use will be very occasional, I can't see doing anything for the prices I have to pay Boston electricians.

I've found a few cheap push on/push off dome lights at Target (kind of look like smoke detectors), but they're rather flimsy & I'm not sure they can withstand frigid Boston temps. My mom uses them in her apartment at night & she's already broken 1 as they're not sturdy at all. Online searches have only revealed indoor battery lights... none that I can find for outdoor use.

Does anyone onboard have a battery operated outdoor light? Or, does anyone know if an outdoor model exists? For those who will ask, yes, I did speak with several H. Depot outlets & they didn't seem to know if they had any & denied they existed. I'm imagining someone must surely have an battery operated light for occasional outdoor use?

Thanks very much. In the dark, in Boston...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
The problem with battery operated anything is that if you don't use them often enough you risk the battery leaking and ruining whatever it is. Is there a fixture out there now? How about replacing that with a motion sensitive light so it only turns on in the dark when someone is moving. Replacing an existing fixture is as easy as turning off the power, hooking up the same color wires and turning the power back on. You might be able to find a solar powered motion detector light?

Another option would be to get a key chain light so you can use that to find the lock.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:59 AM

Hi Golfgal -

Thanks for responding. Nope, no current fixture, otherwise it would be an easy solution that I could probably take care of myself. I can find my doorlock just fine ... it's more for the new tenants' comfort, as I'll soon be renting this last apartment. As I said, we have an indoor entryway light & haven't had an outside light since the house was built in 1890... just me being overly cautious & thinking tenants might be more comfortable if they can turn an outside light on/off at will, particularly as the stairwell is enclosed. Makes one feel more comfortable, too, I'd think, as unless someone has entered/left the bldg, the entryway light might not be on. It's not an urgent or even necessary feature... just something I'd like to add for convenience & I'm assuming someone makes such a light.

This could turn into everyone getting lost in my descriptions I think (I'm often accused of being verbose in my attempts to explain), which is why I tried to keep it easy with just asking if anyone knew of a battery operated outdoor light.

Motion sensor wouldn't work for many reasons, but I'd still want battery-operated, as I don't want to involve electricians. I had a motion sensor on my back deck which was so sensitive, on windy days (of which there are many in Boston... particularly being the highest house on the hill) the clotheslines/deck blinds set it off continually throughout the night. It kept startling me awake (my bedroom's off the deck) & neighbors were irritated by it. I dismantled it as I only installed it to use when sitting out on the deck on summer nights & really didn't need it. I've also noticed that folks who've had motion sensors on their front stairs, quickly dismantled them... perhaps neighbor complaints or their bedrooms are off the stairwell, too? Scared the bloody life out of me a few times walking passed them in the dark, I must say.

Good ideas, but in any event, my original questions still stands... do battery operated outdoor lights exist & where?

Have a good weekend, GG... VV

Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 AM

40 posts, read 479,600 times
Hi-
I recently purchased and installed 2 Westinghouse StickUp bulbs. I installed them in closets in an older home that we recently purchased and they work well.

The design of the Westinghouse StickUp bulbs seems to be what you are looking for. It is different from the round cumbersome stick-on types at Target. It is more of a fixture-type.

No outlet or wiring needed. Easy to Install with two installation methods:
1) Peel & Stick.
2) More secure screw-on installation. (I used this installation method).

Requires 4 "AA" alkaline batteries.

Option to purchase AC adapter by mail or ?website (see below)

Bulb replacement: if the bulb burns out, unscrew the bulb cover and replace the inner Krypton bulb with the spare bulb included in the package.

In enclosed literature that comes with StickUp bulb:
click on website to go to web page.

I purchased mine at a large Texas chain grocery store: HEB. I paid approximately $10.00 per unit which includes the spare Krypton bulb.

CaTe

Last edited by CaTe0508; 02-09-2008 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Typo: mispelled 'large' and corrected.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 AM

hi, again-
I visited Stick Up Bulb Official Site and this site explains the product.
Also has photo of fixture.

CaTe

Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTe0508 View Post
hi, again-
I visited Stick Up Bulb Official Site and this site explains the product.
Also has photo of fixture.

CaTe
Hi CT -

This is perfect & just what I was looking for if I can place some sort of globe/dome over the bulb. With our frigid temps & neighborhood vandalism (front planters up/down these streets are regularly uprooted/knocked over, cars continually vandalized), I'm unsure if a bare bulb in teen temps won't shatter or be deliberately broken?

Most domes I've seen are heavy glass & screw on. I've got one in each room of every apartment in the bldg & all 3 floor hallways (ceiling lights, all sizes). Hmmm... maybe there're plastic domes with holes for screws? Well, this is getting me closer.

Seems like a very handy gadget... I think this will work for my mom's closets & as an extra light in the cellar. Can't beat the price either.

Thank you very much for the info & the links.
I'll see if I can make it work outside, too... VV

Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 AM

CT -

Just looked at the FAQ's & see that if you purchase their bulbs, they're non-breakable. Cool. It still will be the look of a bare bulb (just thinking it might invite ruffians to take a wack at it), but, if I place it on either side wall, rather than directly next to the front door where it can be seen from the street, it just may work.

I don't see anything about the screw-on installation, but if you've used it, then it's available & I'm definitely going to order a few. Worth a try & I'll definitely use them indoors in a few spots, too.

Thanks so much again. I'm sure this will help others, too. How did you find this, by the way? I googled "outdoor battery light" & other variations & wasn't finding anything except indoor cheap plastic models. Just curious which search terms you used.

Have a great weekend... VV

Old 02-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Hey, Kit:

Initially I didn't web search this item. I obtained the website from the literature enclosed with the product.

I stumbled upon the light at HEB while grocery shopping and thought it looked perfect for our closets. I wasn't really looking for lights - even though I did wish I had a light in the closets [law of attraction thing, I guess].

Anyways - my daughter lives in Boston (i'm in Texas) soo.... i know how cold it is there [Boston].

The light bulb is a hard plastic type. It is fine here with Texas weather and I do think you might be ok having the bulb exposed to Boston weather - but then again, i'm not sure.

CaTe

Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTe0508 View Post
Hey, Kit:

Initially I didn't web search this item. I obtained the website from the literature enclosed with the product.

I stumbled upon the light at HEB while grocery shopping and thought it looked perfect for our closets. I wasn't really looking for lights - even though I did wish I had a light in the closets [law of attraction thing, I guess].

Anyways - my daughter lives in Boston (i'm in Texas) soo.... i know how cold it is there [Boston].

The light bulb is a hard plastic type. It is fine here with Texas weather and I do think you might be ok having the bulb exposed to Boston weather - but then again, i'm not sure.

CaTe
Thank you kindly, CT. Sorry, you mentioned the store in your first post... been up all night working with no sleep, so I'm a bit slow after 30-hrs of nothing but black coffee, a stick of gum, a Vitamin C & pretzles ... off to bed in a bit. I'll wait until I've had sleep before ordering... so I don't accidentally buy a power mower or something! And, geesh, you're up early in TX, too, this morn'!

It does say it's for use outdoors in sheds, etc. Since I doubt most folks anywhere have heated sheds, I'm sure the plastic will be durable. They say it's unbreakable. Doubtful a regular bulb would withstand shattering with even a slight bump in cold weather, but no worries, I'll just ensure I use their bulbs. Indoors, in my mom's apartment, I'll probably try regular bulbs.

The product is inexpensive, but I see how S&H adds up... 2 fixtures for $10 but $14 S&H, $6 S&H additional if I purchase 3 extra bulbs... still a good price & just what I wanted, all in all. Sure beats the price of an electrician. Their estimates to do work were outrageous for simple light fixtures - a month's rent in Boston! This will do the trick for now... perhaps I'll find them in a local store, too & save on future S&H. I'll begin with the 2 & see how it goes.

Is your daughter here for school or work? I live 1-mi from downtown. Is she in a surrounding community or right in Boston? I hope she's liking it. Big difference between TX & MA. I like TX very much. Drove through twice on cross-country trips. Have thought of moving to San Antonio in the past for work. People I've met who lived in TX thought I'd like Austin more. Who knows, I'm relocating this summer/fall... still up in the air as to where. You might spot me in Austin... I'll be the other one with the stick-on light fixture outside my door...

Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it. My best to your daughter... VV

Old 02-09-2008, 08:13 AM

hey, kit,
lol - get some sleep.

my daughter goes to MIT and is within walking distance to the school.
I've only visited her in Boston once and that was in 2004 - so i'm not familiar with where she lives. She comes home to Texas once or twice a year. She misses the warm weather here!

she finishes school this summer and will be moving on....probably to Calif. to finally get a real job! lol. she's been in school for ten years. She'll get her ph.d this summer so it's been worth it.

You're right about shipping and handling significantly increasing the cost from the $10.00 that I paid in the store - but like you said - it's a lot cheaper than hiring an electrician..

I also read on their site how the light can be used similar to a flash light. It is easy to remove the light bulb (encased in a fixture) and carry it with you.
That might make it easier for theft though.

It's 9:11 am here in Texas right now - we're one hour behind Boston time. I've been on the computer since about 6:30 am CST and it's time for me to get off and enjoy the rest of my day.......beautiful spring like weather here - great for outdoors!

i'm glad to have helped you with your light!

CaTe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House