Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 06:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times

Advertisements

My current color scheme is cream and gray. I love gray walls! You can always bring in beige with earthy, accent pieces & wall art. When working with this color scheme, opt for a gray that has a taupe undertone and don't go too dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 06:53 PM

39 posts, read 38,326 times
Or don't follow trends.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

There is a big trend at this time to use gray as the basis of interior color schemes rather than the warmer sand/tan/beige tones that were popular over the past several decades. I'm not saying anything new here. But, I have this theory and invite your comments on it.

My theory is that the reason for the switch up is that houses are being planted on smaller and smaller lots so that natural colors are not seen outside of the windows any longer, just the colors of asphalt roads and neighboring houses. So gray works really well, it is modern and young, and it goes with the color of asphalt and driveways. In past years, where natural landscapes and planned landscaping were the normal views, interior walls with more natural colors blended in better with the outside views. This is of course ignoring more colorful choices, but addressing the warm vs cold neutral color schemes. What do you think?
Nope!

Gray has taken over as the popular neutral because brighter "happy" colors in fabrics and accessories are in style. Gray works better with bright colors than beige does.

It's the complete opposite of all the beige and browns with muddier colors we've seen for so long.

Vancouver Colour Consultant: The Best Gray Paint Colours from the Experts

Old 02-27-2016, 02:17 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Nope!

Gray has taken over as the popular neutral because brighter "happy" colors in fabrics and accessories are in style. Gray works better with bright colors than beige does.

It's the complete opposite of all the beige and browns with muddier colors we've seen for so long.

Vancouver Colour Consultant: The Best Gray Paint Colours from the Experts

I agree. The color I of gray I chose makes me feel claim & relaxed and feels airy and flowing! Plus all our furnishing work great with it. I had beige it was nice but it didn't do what the gray doing.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:28 AM

39 posts, read 38,326 times
Yet if it wasn't trendy nearly half of all houses painted gray or tan or beige would be painted something else. Wake up sheeple

Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I'm currently converting a spare bedroom into a home office with white cabinetry and black countertops, and I used a very light grey on the walls (Lowes Valspar 'Silver Leaf'). I choose that color just because it looks modern and makes the room feel larger.

I would not want grey in a kitchen because I think it's too cold and sterile, I prefer warm earthy tones where I'm cooking and eating. One example is the kitchen on the show Blackish, I hate it because it's looks like a hospital exam room.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
I really hate the plain old plain old.. With all the millions of colors to be had, why just stick with boring colors..Live a little and be bold...Paint with a flair and be dramatic.... Pastels, Satins, pearls, etc... Give your house some color....

Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I really hate the plain old plain old.. With all the millions of colors to be had, why just stick with boring colors..Live a little and be bold...Paint with a flair and be dramatic.... Pastels, Satins, pearls, etc... Give your house some color....
I do give my house some some coloring but with art and furnishings these days, instead of paint colors. I'm older and having to switch out paint colors ever few years is something I don't want do anymore, to be honest as this stage in my life it's just easier to switch out stuff.. Still I believe one should do whatever they love in their own home~

Old 02-27-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm currently converting a spare bedroom into a home office with white cabinetry and black countertops, and I used a very light grey on the walls (Lowes Valspar 'Silver Leaf'). I choose that color just because it looks modern and makes the room feel larger.

I would not want grey in a kitchen because I think it's too cold and sterile, I prefer warm earthy tones where I'm cooking and eating. One example is the kitchen on the show Blackish, I hate it because it's looks like a hospital exam room.
I had my kitchen red for a time, very lovely but it caused me to feel stress every-time I walk in there, plus it made me feel hungry.Yes we repainted lol....

Old 02-27-2016, 10:52 AM

446 posts, read 708,867 times
I've been looking at lots of new construction and finding light silver gray in pretty much every single house I see.

I don't see the appeal, but I guess people like it. I still prefer Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige - it looks good in all light and goes with EVERYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House