Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times

Advertisements

Has anyone every added a chimney for a wood stove to an existing house without a fireplace? I'm not thinking a masonry chimney or anything, just a UL rated Class A steel chimney. I'm trying to get a feel for the order of magnitude of the cost.

I need something burning in my house, and we are debating between pellet and wood stove. Pellet is probably easier (no chimney needed), but I don't like that it uses electricity. But I do like the idea of pellets (and biobricks aren't available here). So I'm torn. Probably the chimney cost will make my decision LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I did several years ago and I seem to recall a little less than $100 per foot for the Stainless Steel System I used. I opted to go straight up and through the roof and the $100 per foot price includes the the roof flashing, etc.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
What pellet stove requires no chimney ¿

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,378 times
I too am still torn between the two as well. I think i will go with the pellet stove. This price is much cheaper for the venting than for the wood stove. I'm really not happy using electricity to get it going (was told it uses about the same as a 100 watt bulb) Mine is going in the basement and the cost is half that of a chimney for a wood stove.I'm actually thinking of going with a Lopi pellet stove. Lopi Stoves: Wood stoves, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves, and Fireplace Inserts

Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
What pellet stove requires no chimney ¿
Pellet stoves can vent straight through the wall. Wood stoves must have full chimney that goes up to the roof. I think its 3 feet higher than the peak).

Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Pellet stoves can vent straight through the wall. Wood stoves must have full chimney that goes up to the roof. I think its 3 feet higher than the peak).
Yup, 3 feet above the peak will work. Don't think I'd like the idea of just venting straight outside. I'd like to get it high so smoke would not be at ground level and against side of house with creosote.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 PM

Cuse, Lopi makes some nice stoves. I'm just not sold on a pellet stove. Need electric to run and you are in a (supply and demand for pellets - just like gasoline). My next 2 - 3 winters of firewood are free, thanks to a friendly farmer.....

Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Cuse, Lopi makes some nice stoves. I'm just not sold on a pellet stove. Need electric to run and you are in a (supply and demand for pellets - just like gasoline). My next 2 - 3 winters of firewood are free, thanks to a friendly farmer.....
they're making them combo use now- wood pellet or corn burning stoves. nice to have options either way. i dont know if all models are electric start, that doesnt seem smart for a power outtage. should be able to override that somehow.
old fashioned wood burn stoves are more straightfoward, and with the derigible flue sections that piece together into the roof cut in, you can maintain it yourself.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I did several years ago and I seem to recall a little less than $100 per foot for the Stainless Steel System I used. I opted to go straight up and through the roof and the $100 per foot price includes the the roof flashing, etc.
by code, you will need to go 2'-0" above the nearest roof within a 10' radius around where the pipe will go. so make sure you take that into account when looking at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House