Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
We had a similar problem but it wasn't just junk. Bamboo in raised beds growing 12' tall (15' above ground level due to the beds) in front of the privacy fence completely blocked it out. There are a bunch of varieties that make for a very dense hedge and don't run too fast. I will say though it's not the lowest maintenance hedge, but it's very fast growing and does an excellent job of blocking 100% of the view. It took 1 year to get established and after the second summer it had filled in the area completely to a height of over 12'.
Bamboo is a scourge. I wouldn't use it. Every week, I see a house in Portland completely overrun with bamboo. I know some varieties don't go crazy, but if you want a quick growing hedge, I imagine bamboo that works for this is the sort that takes over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,041,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Bamboo is a scourge. I wouldn't use it. Every week, I see a house in Portland completely overrun with bamboo. I know some varieties don't go crazy, but if you want a quick growing hedge, I imagine bamboo that works for this is the sort that takes over.
Hence why it's in raised beds. Easy to keep it contained.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,497,827 times
Quote:
We had a similar problem but it wasn't just junk. Bamboo in raised beds growing 12' tall (15' above ground level due to the beds) in front of the privacy fence completely blocked it out. There are a bunch of varieties that make for a very dense hedge and don't run too fast. I will say though it's not the lowest maintenance hedge, but it's very fast growing and does an excellent job of blocking 100% of the view. It took 1 year to get established and after the second summer it had filled in the area completely to a height of over 12'.
I've been thinking of doing bamboo too. I wondered if I could get the same result without raised beds if I did a trench and a liner to control the roots. Love to see some photos!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 PM

997 posts, read 1,308,591 times
Another vote for bamboo, but very carefully contained. We're moving soon and might want more privacy, so I've been thinking up a few options for bamboo containment, all raised off ground:

-a few of those metal horse troughs
-a custom box made out of angled aluminum and cement board
-a custom steel box, like you see at newer shipping centers, etc

We have bamboo now and its great for privacy, but it was planted by the neighbors decades ago and spreads everywhere. We had a contractor come out and dig a 2 foot deep trench and install 24" aluminum flashing around the ENTIRE yard to stop the spreading. They did not recommend the mylar plastic you can buy at HD or online.

If you plant, you need to think longterm - like 50 years and either read up or speak to a professional about containment and species. My 2 cents if you choose bamboo for privacy.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:36 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,641,792 times
Post Climate makes a huge difference

Bamboo growth depends greatly on climate. Here in N.NE it might survive and spread, but never grow tall enough to make a good privacy barrier, and dies back to the ground every winter.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:52 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,783,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Move.
Good luck selling...now...

Agree with reporting them to city codes, but good luck with that, too!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
Quote:
Hence why it's in raised beds. Easy to keep it contained.
Yes, if the beds are lined with concrete down about 3 feet.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,409,600 times
My rear neighbors are pretty hillbilly, lots of trash, a pit bull dog tied to a tree, and they periodically have large bon fires. Thankfully I'm upwind. I think they are a lot of the reason my house was so cheap. Seriously considering putting up a privacy fence to boast resale value.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,041,925 times
Here's a pic of the hedge:

Old 03-10-2016, 09:40 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,497,827 times
Thanks for the pic....that looks really nice! That would work perfectly for my yard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House