Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Don't flush baby wipes either.
Not even if they say they are flushable, best to throw them out. I keep a small garbage pail in the bathroom anyway for used tissues and the cardboard paper rolls or soap wrappers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
I just had my FIRST leach line inspection and pump out. We installed our tank when we added onto our historic house that had been on a cesspool. It was grandfathered in, but in order to do the modern construction we had to upgrade. We are careful about chemicals and don't have a dishwasher. Other than that, no real changes. No yeast packets, no expensive bacterial additives to flush down the toilet, no "septic safe" paper products. Our system was full and needed the cleanout but our leach lines passed with flying colors.
Did I mention this was our first pump out? After 28 years!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:49 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Also, in MOST cases, the drain lines for the dishwasher, sink and laundry go directly to the drain field - NOT to the septic tank. There are typically two lines coming from the house - one from the kitchen side that would include the dishwasher, washing machine, and sink while the other line comes from the bathrooms including the toilets, showers and (bathroom) sinks.
The above is not true. In many places a system such as you describe for "grey water" is illegal. Modern septic systems do not have two lines as described. All water goes through the system.

That is why many with septic systems choose HE washers and dishwashers because they use less water.

Despite popular opinion that one should not have a garbage disposal, we have a very powerful disposal and have not had any issues in 15 plus years. The key is that we use it to clear out any bits of food that end up in the drain, never put veggie peels into in it and only small amounts of food.

We've never taken shorter showers or avoided baths, etc. because of the septic. If it's properly designed for the number of bedrooms, these things should not be an issue.

I've never used "special" septic only cleaning products. I use what I've always used for cleaning toilets, etc. That includes comet, the works, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you don't have enough dishes to justify it then that's different. AFAIK dishwasher detergent is no more or less harmful than other detergents.
The new pod-style detergent that came with our new dishwasher (several years ago now) bleached the design off 40-year-old dishes that were perfect until the new dishwasher and detergent combo came into the house.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The above is not true. In many places a system such as you describe for "grey water" is illegal. Modern septic systems do not have two lines as described. All water goes through the system.

That is why many with septic systems choose HE washers and dishwashers because they use less water.

Despite popular opinion that one should not have a garbage disposal, we have a very powerful disposal and have not had any issues in 15 plus years. The key is that we use it to clear out any bits of food that end up in the drain, never put veggie peels into in it and only small amounts of food.

We've never taken shorter showers or avoided baths, etc. because of the septic. If it's properly designed for the number of bedrooms, these things should not be an issue.

I've never used "special" septic only cleaning products. I use what I've always used for cleaning toilets, etc. That includes comet, the works, etc.
So we have people in Alabama and Indiana arguing about what is normal and what is legal. Why don't people understand that systems and regulations differ widely? I've always lived with a septic system but never had a leach field and never had the tank pumped; my experience means nothing to the person looking for information where they live. This is a perfect example of why the OP should just disregard everything they read here and get all information locally.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So we have people in Alabama and Indiana arguing about what is normal and what is legal. Why don't people understand that systems and regulations differ widely? I've always lived with a septic system but never had a leach field and never had the tank pumped; my experience means nothing to the person looking for information where they live. This is a perfect example of why the OP should just disregard everything they read here and get all information locally.

Never had a leach field? Just curious, what type of system do you have??? I know there are some alternative systems but I rarely see them.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Never had a leach field? Just curious, what type of system do you have??? I know there are some alternative systems but I rarely see them.

Leaching fields are virtually unheard of here. Sandy soil allows a leaching pool or two to drain all the liquids straight down into the ground without needing to be dispersed over a wide area. Modern ones are precast concrete.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because ti's too much and I have no room to store or freeze it. I make slow cooker chicken at least once a week so I end up with a quart of stock that I don't need. Plus I'm not a great cook so I don't even know what to use the stock for
Soup.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
If people can't use their dishwashers with a septic system, I have to wonder why. We did for 26 years. I think this must be because of local codes that don't require up to date systems? My old septic system was installed in 1979. We did have to have some work done a few years before we sold. But there weren't any leaks in the drain field when we listed in 2012, and that was a big relief.

Honestly, I don't like not having muni water. I would never go back to a septic system. Too many potential problems. But I always used my dishwasher and disposal. I also used regular old detergent, occasionally used chlorine bleach, never dumped yeast into it, and used whatever I felt like to clean the bathroom.

I think from all the different posts, it would be good for the OP to get much more info from the buyer about the system. And it needs to be inspected.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:10 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because ti's too much and I have no room to store or freeze it. I make slow cooker chicken at least once a week so I end up with a quart of stock that I don't need. Plus I'm not a great cook so I don't even know what to use the stock for
Chicken stock is perfect to use to make chicken and dumplings. Very easy, very tasty and reminds some of us of our Moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House