Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 07:48 AM

54 posts, read 57,592 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well.

Does anyone know what type/size of water filter this is? I know it is a whole house filter, but cannot find the size anywhere.

I need to get a replacement. My house is on a well water system, so any recommendations on type/brand please?

Is Harry Chickpea still sharing his wisdom?

Thank you!!
Mengembara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
If you just open it up, take the cartridge out and measure it you'll know for sure.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:28 AM

54 posts, read 57,592 times
Thank you. I'll measure the size.

Any thoughts on brands or types of filters that are recommended for processing well water?

Thanks,
mengembara

Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Have the water analyzed/tested. Whoever does the testing can recommend the best overall filter for your water.
Mineral content and other "stuff" can vary widely across the country. So taking a recommendation from someone who lives a thousand miles from you maynot be a good one.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
That look like the 10" filter. I believe the actual size is 10" x 4 1/2" commonly refer to as "big blue". There is the 20" tall version. I use a similar filter (Pentek) for my whole house sediment filter.

Home Depot and Lowe's has this size replacement filter but their selection is limited. I usually get mine from an online store (airwaterice.com) since that's where I usually order my RO/filter supplies.

Be sure to order an extra O ring and have one around just in case. You don't have to change them every time you replace the filter but have one around just in case.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:06 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
That's just a sediment filter (traps sand and other small particles). The cartridge should be of a standard size, and usually sold at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, and such. You will need a special plastic wrench to remove the cartridge housing, which is the bottom portion of that filter system, but before you can remove it, you have to turn the water off (the water coming into the filter assembly).

This one look like the one you have:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-B...4HS4/205459581

The water filter wrenches look like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Culligan-...SW-1/205553074

While the cartridge for the filter above can be seen on the same link, some filter cartridges are a little different like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Carbo...2CF4/205373472

Just keep in mind that some whole house water filter have a larger cartridge that is designed to remove sediment and other impurities. You need to find out which exact filter system you have in order to match the wrench size and cartridges for it. If you don't know how to replace the cartridge, let somebody who knows show you how.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:46 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Odd setup. I see you are in Cypress TX so frost is not an issue. Any further north and that filter would be taken out by the first hard freeze. I'm a bit puzzled by it sticking up on its own and then another pipe leading into the house. I'm not sure why that would be done like that.

Yeah, it is a common sediment filter, always good to have. Looking at he municipal water reports, I don't think I'd be overly concerned about contaminants unless you are close to an orchard/farm, industrial plant, or there is substantial fracking. A countertop or other simple carbon filter for drinking water would be a good addition if the well is free of bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House