Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 PM

37,470 posts, read 45,693,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I had one when i lived in my first rent house, in my current house I had 4 gas mowers in the 16 years since I lived here, all of my gas mowers were only good for the first 2 years I had them and then 3 - 4 years of taking forever to get them started, reel mowers just work as long as you keep them sharpened and oiled and even that is a once in a blue moon thing. with all my gas mowers maintenance was a constant thing after the 2nd summer of use. and I no longer have to cut my grass in the heat of the day, last night I cut my grass by porch light at 3AM, with a gas mower someone would have called the police lol. but my neighbors saw me cutting last week one mourning and were saying how they hate those things, I'm curious on your opinions.
I've had my Honda mower for 7 years. I have the shop pick it up in early spring for a check up, and they drop it off a couple of days later. Done. Starts all year long. Not a worry in the world. I would never even consider a reel mower. You often have to make two passes, and time is one thing I don't have a whole lot of. You can't mow over twigs and sticks ( I have a river birch tree, it would kill a reel mower in a heartbeat) so I'd have to run around clearing all that up before I mowed. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
Honda Mower bought 2001... in once for a tune up.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,181,406 times
The one I have works if its not tall, but I HATE the look of gas mowers since they generally cut so short. I plan to use the trimmer to take care of the tall stuff and can mow over it. I like that it keeps the grass about three inches over the usual where you can see dirt. And a can of spray oil is the only maintence I need. And it quiet. I would adjust the mower to higher but the city would object.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,931,333 times
If your lawn is tiny, flat, and did I say tiny, reel lawnmowers are great. Also makes it much easier if you never let the grass get too long. I had one once. Came with a rental house and it took forever!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:44 AM

5,499 posts, read 9,446,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If your lawn is tiny, flat, and did I say tiny, reel lawnmowers are great. Also makes it much easier if you never let the grass get too long. I had one once. Came with a rental house and it took forever!
I guess it depends on your definition of "tiny." My house sits on 1/8th acre, and I can mow the front and back yards in about a half-hour. Of course, it would take a little longer, if I didn't have any landscaping areas. But, I don't think I'd have a problem using a reel mower on a yard up to 1/4-1/3 acre; the flatter the yard, the bigger I'd be willing to go.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 AM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
I mowed .35 acres around my homes with a Scotts reel mower for 10 years. I took me maybe an hour.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,561,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
all of my gas mowers were only good for the first 2 years I had them

last night I cut my grass by porch light at 3AM, with a gas mower someone would have called the police lol.

curious on your opinions.
I've had gas mowers last 10 years...

Had to switch to a riding mower when we had a 1.5 acre yard.. Kept the original gas mower to trim.

Mowing at night might be a bit dangerous. I like to see what I'm about to chop up.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:14 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,730,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I dislike them because the ones I've used get hung up on twigs or sticks very easily.

If I already had a manicured lawn, I would be more open to one
Yeah, all the sticks would do me in. There are both weeping willow and cottonwood trees adjacent to my property that frequently drop sticks onto my lawn. If I mowed with a reel, I'd have to clean that all up first. With my gas mower, I just chop up all the sticks with my mulching mower.

Plus, I'd have to mow more frequently than my once a week time. I keep my lawn fairly long...3 inches usually. That cuts down on how much I have to water!

Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,612,066 times
I don't know, really. I got one that came along with the house. It was ancient and it weighed a ton, but it was in perfect condition. I cleaned it up, sharpened the blades, oiled all of the moving parts, and it cut better than any gas mower I ever had. While I probably wouldn't have used it on a bigger yard, it was ideal for my small lawn.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,483,117 times
I've had the same Toro gas mower since 2001. It starts and goes every time. The trick IMHO, is to drain the oil at the end of the season and then overfill, I mean really overfiil, such that all the internal parts of the engine are immersed in clean oil to prevent corrosion, rusting etc. At the beginning of the season I drain that oil and fill to the correct amount. At the same time I change the plug and filter. Oh and I don't run old gas in it and always use stabilizer during the season. About every 2 years of so I clean the carb. If I can get Ethanol free fuel, I will go out of my way to purchase that. Ethanol is causing enormous small engine problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House