Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:54 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Give all your wind chimes to me! I don't care if my neighbors have no appreciation for music.

You people must really love your family.

And just like you don't care about your neighbors, I guess you don't care that your family might not want to have to cook & clean up after you for a whole week, while sacrificing their privacy and enjoyment of their brand-new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
They put pretty river rocks of various sizes in the bottom, pretty multi-coloured aquarium plants arranged in the rocks to float upwards and a lily pad (from the dollar store) floating on top. I bought a small round plant stand on wheels at the dollar store to put it on so I can move it around for cleaning underneath.

You can even put a Japanese Fighting fish in there (as long as the water is stagnant- ask for directions at the pet store) https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/s...ee&fr2=piv-web

These need to be fed and that water changed weekly or the live fish will die and smother in its own waste. I personally would never gift a live animal to someone. The fish that people place in those jars and vases are living in the bare minimum - just enough to keep them alive. My Thai Fighting fish has his own aquarium with a filter and live plants, he is kept warm in the winter, and has plenty of space to swim and move around.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
I usually wait until I see the house and spend time with them in it.

First visit, I bring wine or a house plant......something I would take as a hostess gift.

Most people in new houses, will show you around the house, and talk about what else they want to do to the house. Also, as you spend time you will notice what might be useful or they will talk further about what they need for the house or how they want to decorate it if they aren't finished.

I look also at things they have that they brought from wherever they lived before that don't match their new home, have seen better days, or they specifically say is on their list to replace. Towels, sheets, blankets on the sofa, place mats, blankets on the bed, lamps

If I'm there long enough to get out to a store, I do. Depending on the relationship, like someone where our together time usually involves shopping anyway, I may suggest we go look for things they have mentioned and then I pick up the tab or take things out of the cart that are the amount I want to spend and tell them that's my housewarming gift to them. Otherwise, I send it later.

Where I live most people who build or buy new have a pool. In that case, my go to is always nice pool floats, or high end beach towels and a set of plastic dinner ware/glasses. If they have an outdoor space they will be eating at frequently, large serving trays are a great gift, they are decorative, useful and frequently pricey.

And as others have said, if all else fails, theres always gift cards to places they can get things for their home.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:56 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nix on the wind chimes, too, unless their only neighbors are miles away. not everyone enjoys hearing them.
thank you.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM

50 posts, read 61,477 times
give them a smart thermostat. I gave one to my friend and he loves it

Old 04-04-2016, 02:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Fruitcake!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Take a page from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life":

George and Mary help a family move into their new home. She offers a brief speech, symbolically holding up a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine, and a box of salt:

Bread - that this house may never know hunger.
Salt - that life may always have flavor.
Wine - that joy and prosperity may reign forever.
You could do this AND a $200 gift card -- I agree gift cards are the greatest thing ever when you move into a new home. There is always a ton of stuff you end up needing. Lowes and Home Depot are great. Also, Crate and Barrel or to a furniture store. Or amazon. Or overstock. Or even The Container Store.

We did receive some really nice wind chimes when we moved into our last house, and I actually loved them. But if you're not into them or don't have the right place for them, then it just becomes clutter.

I also like the idea of a gift card to a local restaurant, if you can investigate and find a really good one nearby.

We JUST moved into a new house -- we are still unpacking. And it is unbelievable how many expenses come up -- things you need right away that you weren't thinking about. Our movers could not get my dresser or my husband's dresser up our stairs. So now, unexpectedly, we are in the market for a dresser and some storage. We have the most nicely, expensively decorated basement game room now.

So, gift cards really are great things.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I usually wait until I see the house and spend time with them in it.

First visit, I bring wine or a house plant......something I would take as a hostess gift.

Most people in new houses, will show you around the house, and talk about what else they want to do to the house. Also, as you spend time you will notice what might be useful or they will talk further about what they need for the house or how they want to decorate it if they aren't finished.

I look also at things they have that they brought from wherever they lived before that don't match their new home, have seen better days, or they specifically say is on their list to replace. Towels, sheets, blankets on the sofa, place mats, blankets on the bed, lamps

If I'm there long enough to get out to a store, I do. Depending on the relationship, like someone where our together time usually involves shopping anyway, I may suggest we go look for things they have mentioned and then I pick up the tab or take things out of the cart that are the amount I want to spend and tell them that's my housewarming gift to them. Otherwise, I send it later.

Where I live most people who build or buy new have a pool. In that case, my go to is always nice pool floats, or high end beach towels and a set of plastic dinner ware/glasses. If they have an outdoor space they will be eating at frequently, large serving trays are a great gift, they are decorative, useful and frequently pricey.

And as others have said, if all else fails, theres always gift cards to places they can get things for their home.

I think Blondy's answer is perfect. Don't buy something expensive until you've seen an actual need for it and you are sure it will go with the new house. Towels or bedding might be super-appropriate, but it would be good for the homeowner to help pick them. If they have a patio, a grill or something else for cooking outdoors might be a great idea. A folding cart or a large tray might be practical, depending on what their habits are.

If you don't want to arrive empty-handed, a typical hostess gift like a nice plant or wine is good, if they are they types to appreciate that, then add the bigger gift after you have the lay of the land.

I wouldn't buy anything in advance that's personalized or your taste. You've haven't seen this house yet. so who knows what will be welcome. Maybe they've upgraded their previous style or have a completely new color scheme. I'm also against wind chimes. I did buy one once for someone I absolutely knew would appreciate it, but personally they drive me nuts.

I know some people don't think gift cards are polite but as a homeowner, I always welcome one from Lowe's or Home Depot. Or maybe a gift card from a local garden center would be a good idea if they haven't completed their landscaping yet. You could pay for a tree or some bushes that would be a permanent reminder of your generosity.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
... I purchased something like this at a charity art auction one year. Pencil House Portraits - House Portraits Online

The artist came to the house and returned with a sketch a couple of weeks later. I still love it to this date and it is framed and hanging on a wall. The exterior colors have changed but the pencil drawing has not
This is another good idea, and an exception to the "nothing too personal" rule. It's especially appropriate, too, if someone is moving FROM someplace they lived for a long while. When my mother left her Pennsylvania home of 50 years to move to Arizona, a neighbor gave her a professional drawing of the beloved home where she raised her family. It's one of her prized possessions and has pride of place where she lives now.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
This is another good idea, and an exception to the "nothing too personal" rule. It's especially appropriate, too, if someone is moving FROM someplace they lived for a long while. When my mother left her Pennsylvania home of 50 years to move to Arizona, a neighbor gave her a professional drawing of the beloved home where she raised her family. It's one of her prized possessions and has pride of place where she lives now.
Great idea. My parents are selling and moving into an in-law suite with my sister. They are already missing their house even though they want to move and haven't sold it yet lol. This sounds like a great gift for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House