Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM

132 posts, read 258,775 times

Advertisements

Well I have bought a camper, the bedroom of it has carpet that has been wet for about a week now - I think what happened is that I was spraying some disinfectant spray , then left the window open for some days to air it out, and during that time it rained, and the water came in through the window.
Anyway it is smelling mildewy at this point - I believe I'm going to have to rip it out/trash it.

But question - how harmful is it to sleep in the camper with that carpet like it is? I am stuck here (in camper) for the night unfortunately, but it can be the last night (until the problem is resolved)

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:54 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Your problem may be far deeper than you are aware. Most often campers use a plywood as the floor, then the carpet is laid over it. The plywood staying wet is going to cause issues like delamination....and it could also be particle board. I would strongly suggest ripping the carpet out- it's gotta go anyway, and let it dry out to see what you're going to have to fix. It may dry out and be fine. You won't know until you get to that point. But get the wet out now by removing the carpet. You can buy a remnant carpet for fairly cheap and install it yourself or you can paint the floor and use an area rug.

To further stress getting the wet carpet out, if mold sets into the plywood flooring, while you can treat it for mold and seal it, I guarantee you that rot will set in and in a few years the floor will have to be replaced.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:05 AM

132 posts, read 258,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Your problem may be far deeper than you are aware. Most often campers use a plywood as the floor, then the carpet is laid over it. The plywood staying wet is going to cause issues like delamination....and it could also be particle board. I would strongly suggest ripping the carpet out- it's gotta go anyway, and let it dry out to see what you're going to have to fix. It may dry out and be fine. You won't know until you get to that point. But get the wet out now by removing the carpet. You can buy a remnant carpet for fairly cheap and install it yourself or you can paint the floor and use an area rug.

To further stress getting the wet carpet out, if mold sets into the plywood flooring, while you can treat it for mold and seal it, I guarantee you that rot will set in and in a few years the floor will have to be replaced.
thanks for your input on this

Old 04-20-2016, 12:54 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Rarely does one rain ruin the wood floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House