U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 AM
Status: "US-Of-Boratistan, jumped-the-shark, call it a wrap!" (set 13 days ago)

21,373 posts, read 22,293,848 times

Advertisements

Caulk-gun and a couple tubes of caulk, get to work!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 AM

221 posts, read 296,160 times
Well I contacted the landlord. They brought in some traps and placed them around the spots I mentioned to them as troublesome. They weren't Terro, but a brand called Amdro? Two of the traps constantly have ants walking all around them, and lots of dead ones on it/in it. Is this what is supposed to be happening? It's a liquid ant bait, so I don't really get what's supposed to happen. If this is in fact working, how long until the problem is solved? The landlord told me to contact them if the problem persists, so I want to make sure I give it enough time to work (or not work) before calling them back.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:22 AM

6,564 posts, read 13,829,873 times
I don't know what Amdro does. What Terro does is feed them ant crack: a mix of borax and syrup. The borax, after a while, destroys their digestive systems. However, before that happens, usually they bring some of the ant crack back to the nest to share with the ants in the nest. When one dies, they haul him back to the nest and eat him (so I understand), spreading the ant crack love. Eventually, the queen or queens get to eat some ant crack, and they die.

Thus, if you are seeing a bunch of dead ones, Amdro probably works differently. When Terro has done its work, other than a few who got stuck in the syrup, there are no ant corpses laying around because they were hauled back to the nest. Your landlord probably just bought whatever ant baits were at the store where he shops, figured they were all the same, since he doesn't have to live with them he doesn't care.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:28 PM

30,347 posts, read 75,413,329 times
You can easily suck them up with a straw, or if you are flexible lie flat and just lick them off the floor. Taste like chicken.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:59 PM

221 posts, read 296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I don't know what Amdro does. What Terro does is feed them ant crack: a mix of borax and syrup. The borax, after a while, destroys their digestive systems. However, before that happens, usually they bring some of the ant crack back to the nest to share with the ants in the nest. When one dies, they haul him back to the nest and eat him (so I understand), spreading the ant crack love. Eventually, the queen or queens get to eat some ant crack, and they die.

Thus, if you are seeing a bunch of dead ones, Amdro probably works differently. When Terro has done its work, other than a few who got stuck in the syrup, there are no ant corpses laying around because they were hauled back to the nest. Your landlord probably just bought whatever ant baits were at the store where he shops, figured they were all the same, since he doesn't have to live with them he doesn't care.
From the research I've done, it sounds like Amdro is the same. I looked up their liquid ant baits on Amazon and it got all sorts of mixed reviews. Many people said it worked great, others said they didn't work but then they bought Terro and those did.

And all those ants I saw on the bait trap that I thought were dead...I came home from work today and they are gone. Please tell me they didn't spring back to life and are taking over my apartment! Could those carcasses been hauled off like you explained? Haha seriously though, it does kind of seem like I'm seeing less ants around but by this point, I don't know if that's really true or I'm just making myself see what I want to see. I guess I just have to give it a little more time and see what happens. The box said not to disturb the traps or the ants once placed so that's the plan.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 PM

6,564 posts, read 13,829,873 times
It doesn't happen right away. Yeah, they tend to haul away their dead if they can, but the real key is when some ant happens to feed the poison to the last remaining queen. When that occurs, the colony will collapse. Until then, scouts will keep reporting that there is a pizza truck at such and such location, and foragers will proceed there to enjoy some borax-tainted syrup. I've had it take up to two weeks; just have to let the process happen. Leave the baits there until you see no ants moving for a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House