U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 PM

221 posts, read 294,947 times

Advertisements

I live in a basement level apartment and have recently started seeing ants.

At first it was just a few in the bathroom, several times a day. I would kill them and toss them or flush them and then wouldn't see any more until later that day or even the next day. Didn't think anything of it. This went on for maybe a week.

A few days ago, I noticed quite a cluster in my kitchen, where the seam of my kitchen island meets the floor. Also happens to be where I keep my cat's food and water dish. They were all congregated in the crack/seam, with several others crowded around a crumb of food from my cat's bowl. I vacuumed them up and the more I watched that area, it appeared they were coming from that seam.

Later that night I saw a handful in my bedroom, just sitting around the seam where the wall meets the floor. I vacuumed those up.

Then the next day I saw a bunch along the edge of my area rug in the living room. WHERE THE HECK ARE THEY COMING FROM! I thought maybe from the creases along where the wall meets the floor. So I got some spray from Menard's, the only one that the sales guy told me is safe with pets.

I sprayed all along the base of my living room and into my kitchen, where walls meet floor. I sprayed the seam where the kitchen island meets the floor. I sprayed a little in the bathroom. And again in the spot on my bedroom.

I haven't seen any more in the bedroom.

I still see a few in the bathroom every time I go in there.

I don't think I've seen any in the seam by the island.

But every time I go in the living room, there are always more there. And it's always in the same little area. Seriously, where could they be coming from? I have wood floors, could they be coming up from cracks or seams between boards? I should probably just mention it to my landlord, yes? If I can deal with it myself, I'd prefer that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:57 PM

17,189 posts, read 27,283,952 times
Default Death

Some people say this is the best -- Amazon.com : Advion Ant Gel Insecticide with Plunger, 1.06 oz. Pack of 4 : Home Pest Lures : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 04-11-2016, 09:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,703,513 times
Try Demon. It is a good insecticide, and is easy to use. Comes in packets you drop into a 2 gallon sprayer, and they dissolve. You can spray baseboards, and anywhere you think they might be coming in. I believe you can find it on Amazon.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 PM

18,814 posts, read 30,109,070 times
Other than hiring a pest control person, what I used to do is get those ant stakes, then pry out the jelly-like square. Then, place it where all the ants are and leave it alone. The ants will take the poison back to their nest and everybody has a party and the nest is killed out.

If you squish them, their buddies will come in force to take the bodies away. Same if you spray them, etc. Let them take the poison back to the nest for you. It usually works within 1 day.

Of course, you have to keep the cat away from it.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 PM

5,190 posts, read 7,993,623 times
Find the entry points and then put these next to them- TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits | TERRO.com

Over the next 24 hours you will see a huge increase in ants as they swarm to eat the delicious tasting poison, but then they will die off and be completely gone.

I get an ant invasion 2-3 times a year (and they always head right to the cat food dish), and each time the Terro works like a charm. I now keep a supply of it on hand.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:15 AM

21,162 posts, read 6,824,391 times
Are you renting? Then contact the management company and have the place completely sprayed. Set out ant traps and maintain them.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Are you renting? Then contact the management company and have the place completely sprayed. Set out ant traps and maintain them.
I am renting. I don't like dealing with the landlord but if I have to I will.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Of course, you have to keep the cat away from it.
The problem is that I'm at work all day, so I really have no way of making sure my cat stays away from anything I put out. I don't THINK she'd get into it, but I'm not willing to bet on that.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Try Demon. It is a good insecticide, and is easy to use. Comes in packets you drop into a 2 gallon sprayer, and they dissolve. You can spray baseboards, and anywhere you think they might be coming in. I believe you can find it on Amazon.
Do you know if it's pet safe?

Old 04-12-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Find the entry points and then put these next to them- TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits | TERRO.com

Over the next 24 hours you will see a huge increase in ants as they swarm to eat the delicious tasting poison, but then they will die off and be completely gone.

I get an ant invasion 2-3 times a year (and they always head right to the cat food dish), and each time the Terro works like a charm. I now keep a supply of it on hand.
I take it you have a cat then? Is this product safe to use with pets in the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House