U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Hello HVAC experts:

I am going to install a new central A/C.
I am getting a quote for a 3.5 ton, 14 SEER unit and there is a difference of about $400 between getting a unit with R-22 Freon or the newer R-410a.

Can someone tell me if I should splurge and go with the 410? Is it worth it?

The above is for a Rheem, both inside and outside units.

Has anybody ever heard of Goodman? What can you say about it?

Which other brands would you recommend highly? I can't fit a Trane in the indoor closet I have for this.

Thanks.
The R-22 Freon is being phased out. (Dupont has reached the end of contract and needed a new system to generate money i guess). Older units that run the R-22 will be phased out of the industry over time, and the cost of the R-22 required to service will increase. Therefore the cost of maintaining your older or even a newer R-22 unit will increase over time. The new R-410 Freon operates at a higher pressure and can't be used in the older R-22 systems without upgrading some components (Typically).
Goodman is a contractor grade system, that i have been told is actually produced by Carrier. I have one at the home, and it has ran for 11 yrs without incident until this year.
Thats my input, good or bad, right or wrong, but just what i know of the systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverpynk View Post
The R-22 Freon is being phased out. (Dupont has reached the end of contract and needed a new system to generate money i guess). Older units that run the R-22 will be phased out of the industry over time, and the cost of the R-22 required to service will increase. Therefore the cost of maintaining your older or even a newer R-22 unit will increase over time. The new R-410 Freon operates at a higher pressure and can't be used in the older R-22 systems without upgrading some components (Typically).
Goodman is a contractor grade system, that i have been told is actually produced by Carrier. I have one at the home, and it has ran for 11 yrs without incident until this year.
Thats my input, good or bad, right or wrong, but just what i know of the systems.
Exactly. R-22 cost will sky rocket. Get the new R410a unit, it will be more efficient and cost you less in the long run.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 PM

27,044 posts, read 19,073,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverpynk View Post
Goodman is its own mfg. They're not related to Carrier.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM

7,663 posts, read 17,103,121 times
Rheem is Ruud?

We have a 4 ton Ruud, 16 SEER w/ R410a and it works great. In the 'Texas summer' heat of the day it runs about the same coldness as our R12 system, but when it gets below 90 it blows even colder. It's almost enough to freeze the wife out if the ceiling fans are on low or medium. But I like it so R410= win. My June-July electric bill was $158 (2200 sq ft). And 410 has been around long enough to be proven reliable if a competent installer installs it.

The huge complaint I have is the outside compressor/condensor unit is controlled by a motherboard. It is compact, sealed in a chamber, has self diagnostics, blah blah, but this thing renders the rest of the system unreilable. I had everything converted/installed in April '08, motherboard went out a month later, then again in July '09. Right now it seems to be holding up fine, though. Maybe it is a new PCB revision. But every time it was a problem with the relay and/or circuit that controlled the compressor & fan. Either a relay froze up or relay circuit shorted out & scorched up the board. Left me SOL because I couldn't hotwire/bypass anything. My guess is the board wasn't tough enough to handle several continuous months of 90+ with a few weeks of 100+ and then the heat the system creates on top of that.

Even though the parts are warranted for 10 years, a 10 yr extended warranty to cover the labor might be worth considering if you get a system controlled by a motherboard.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,585 times
Thanks for letting me know about the Goodman/Carrier

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,719 times
Can someone tell me how to change out the R22 unit, to the 410A unit? I have always used
R22 new to the 410A any advice on what to do and what is the difference between them? other than the pricing? pressure, liquid, and do they have small thin units to fit in a small space. Or I have a client,that has 2 split system,upstairs is about 1 ton smaller than it should be-(2.5 tons.) I want to put in a 3.5 to 4 ton unit, problem is my suction line is only 3/4 inch. The 4 ton unit is 7/8's wont work? I believe will be to small, needs a bigger suction line? being that R22 matching units are so hard to find, I have decieded to use my expertice and put in my 1st 410A unit 3.5 ton. the oil in the two freeons are so different. that I have to clean the line sets with a line set cleaner. can anybody give information on how to clean a line set? I have never had a compressor burn out in the 10 years as an HVAC Tech. So I have never cleaned a line set, is it hard and how do you do it? I am not trying to look stupid, just new to it. can anyone give advice on this matter? is so Please email me because I do not go on the computer often, just to check my emails. [EMAIL="Griffrich55@yahoo.com"]Griffrich55@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] or [EMAIL="Donnagriffin5@aol.com"]Donnagriffin5@aol.com[/EMAIL] I have to know this information by next week to install this unit. please help thanks, just need the help. Rick... post it as well please

Last edited by RNGHVAC; 08-04-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: to also have it posted on here

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,599,489 times
dude. you are putting in a 410a system and reusing the R22 lineset? Do the customer a favor and realize you need to purge w/ nitrogen and pull a deep vacuum before you charge w/410a.

Go over to hvactalk and see if they can help you

Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,431 times
what is the normal operating pressures of R-510A Freon, Suction and Discharge
Thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM

27,044 posts, read 19,073,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush9710 View Post
what is the normal operating pressures of R-510A Freon, Suction and Discharge
Thanks
I'm assuming you mean R-410a and "normal" operating pressures depend on the SEER rating of the system and the indoor/outdoor temperatures. You can use your pressure/temperature chart supplied with the Forane (R-410a).

Freon is the trade name for R-22.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,350 times
plz provide me a freon calculation it means...
if i have 1 kg (R22) freon so how much amount of chorine will liquified .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House