Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times

Advertisements

Wow...one whole picture of the kitchen. You can only see on side of it. It amazes me how many idiots try and sell a home this way. A dozen crappy pictures. Half of which are not even the interior of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Buy it if you like the location and other aspects of it.
Hire a kitchen designer.
Spend money on "right-sized" appliances.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Get some large chrome shelving units use baskets and containers. Adjustable 5-Tier Wire Shelving Unit - Chrome - ... : Target
Cheap and quick, or have designer do a new complete kitchen layout design and buy cabinets and counters.

Last edited by froglipz; 04-20-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
This is being marketed as a starter home, and the value is really in the location. Are you planning to be there forever? Generally, I don't think it's worth it to do any kind of major restructuring in a condo, unless it's a big one where you plan to stay for many, many years.

For me, the amount it would take to get the kitchen to where I'd like it to be would be a huge percentage of the value of the condo overall. So that would make it not such a good investment. Once you start knocking down walls, you're getting into major renovations. I'd probably try to find a way to live with it, by changing the decor, paint color, appliances themselves, etc. That is, if I otherwise liked the rest of the unit, the building, the location, etc.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If possible, I would relocate the baseboard heater to the wall where the table is or to the outer wall, under the window and use the wall next to the fridge for cabinets/counter space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I move that cabinet above the fridge out flush with the fridge. The way it is now, it basically has TWO kitchen cabinets.
Yes, this is what I would do. That wall is indented where the fridge is, so you may only be able to put 12 inch deep base cabinets on that next section. Or normal depth ones and put a pull out pantry next to the fridge. But build out the cabinets above the fridge, to the ceiling. Would there be room for a kitchen table somewhere else?

That oven has to be right next to the sink on the wall you can't see.

If you buy Ikea cabinets it won't cost a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I'd put the goose in the kitchen.

Seriously, it's a tiny little condo with oddly-shaped rooms; a lot of 1BR are bigger than 818 sqft. In fact, if I were to guess, I'd say it probably was a 1BR originally, with a dining area. I'd pass; if you have money to fix up the kitchen you could probably better put it into a better condo. If not, rent.
There may be lots of 1 beds bigger than 818 sf, but I've lived in a 700 sf 2 bed whuch had way more room than this one. It's a matter of good layout.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Knock out the wall, not the one into the living area the one into the dining area to make it bigger or live with it, it's not bad, you can just upgrade to stainless steel.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
I don't understand why ANYONE would buy a Condo ... $225,000 for something you are basically renting and will NEVER own.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know if it is a good deal or not. Sometimes if you want a safe place that is conveniently located, and you don't have the money to buy what you think you want, you must make compromises and settle for what you can afford.

What else can you buy for the same amount of money? Can you do better than this one?
Well there are tradeoffs of course there are similarly priced units(with better kitchens, hardwood floors etc) but in worse neighbhoods. I am considering it and keeping my eye out for better as well.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I know there's some difference in what would be considered a good deal in different areas. It's hard for me, looking at the price, to imagine it being worthwhile. Besides the mortgage, it looks like there's a monthly condo fee of $321. And taxes? It mentioned taxes at the bottom of the page but that amount didn't seem like it could be for a single condo.

Personally, I've lived in 2 bedroom apartments that were around that size, and a good layout makes a big difference in what's comfortable and what's merely acceptable and what would feel really claustrophobic. An open floorplan where the kitchen is on a wall of the living and dining area makes a small place feel bigger. An open floorplan like that with a bar between the kitchen and living room so you don't have to fit a table and chairs in works even better. This condo looks like it wasn't planned out to maximize its space. Maybe the building was originally designed as something else, and that's why the rooms seem so small and oddly arranged.

If you do decide that it's the place for you, putting a wall of cabinets next to the fridge would be the way to go. You could make a built-in desk/eating area where the baseboard heater is...basically add a countertop that extends to the wall and add cupboards above. Use a chair that fits completely underneath the countertop when you're not sitting at it (a vintage doctor's stool or mechanic's stool or something like that) and you would have an adequate work surface for meal prep, with the bonus of not needing a table and chairs, unless you were entertaining guests (a folding card table and chairs might be the way to go for that, you could store the card table and chairs under your bed when not in use).

There has to be part of the kitchen that's not visible, because you can't see the sink. So hopefully that's a space filled with good storage and work surfaces. But usually realtors will take pictures of the best parts of the property.
Ha Unfortunately those are the taxes($2500) for this unit and those are about average maybe a little on the low side.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Wow, that is a sad little kitchen, but at least it has a nice window. I'm sure it could be cute though. Nowhere to go but up. How important is a kitchen to you OP? If you don't cook much, then it doesn't matter.

Firstly, in an apartment this small, you cannot have two dining tables, so obviously the one in the kitchen needs to go. Cupboards should go all the way to the ceiling to get the most out of the space.

Is that a bump out in the wall next to the fridge? If so, what is behind it? Can it be taken out? As someone else said, you should use the free design service at a home improvement store to see what the possibilities are. We cant really see everything from just one picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House