Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spring clean?
Yes 36 61.02%
No 23 38.98%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

An outdated concept or still relevant?

I do clean thoroughly each spring, but it takes me more than a weekend. I schedule a carpet cleaning to keep me motivated, turn out every cabinet and drawer, wash the woodwork, take winter coats for cleaning and storage, launder EVERYTHING, dry clean draperies, clean the window screens, wash the outdoor light fixtures, clean the HVAC grates, knock down the winter cobwebs, vacuum the upholstery thoroughly (always an adventure), schedule any repairs I can't manage myself, etc., etc. etc. How about you? Is spring cleaning a priority or do you spread out these chores along the year?

Last edited by randomparent; 04-09-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Still relevant to me.
Maybe because of where I live... winter debris comes into the house, things get dumped instead of put away as the cellar is chilly, etc. Plus, you see the problem areas so much better when it is sunny but there are no leaves on the trees yet

It makes sense to have everything fresh and done so that we have time for summer fun!

I go room by room, deep cleaning everything.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 04-09-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Yes. I actually enjoy spring cleaning. I do lots of de-cluttering, deep cleaning, and routine repairs (like touching up paint). It feels so good when I'm done.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:16 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Yes, and it will take several weeks to get it all done..... Then it's almost time for a Fall cleaning...and the cycle begins all over....

Old 04-09-2016, 03:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I have a 3 story townhouse, so I tend to break home maintenance down to floor levels, one at a time. A few weeks ago I finished a total remodel of the top floor including new paint & carpet, new guest room furniture & bedding, new flat screen over the treadmill and 2 new bathrooms. Now I'm moving to the 2nd floor where I just had all the carpeting cleaned 2 days ago. As I put all the furniture back I made sure to polish and clean every piece. Today I'll start working on the kitchen. Going through cabinets, straightening things out, throwing out stuff I never use, tossing expired soups, etc. Then it will be the lower level where my office is and finally out to the garage. I absolutely LOVE to de-clutter my house. It's such a cathartic experience.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I have a 3 story townhouse, so I tend to break home maintenance down to floor levels, one at a time. A few weeks ago I finished a total remodel of the top floor including new paint & carpet, new guest room furniture & bedding, new flat screen over the treadmill and 2 new bathrooms. Now I'm moving to the 2nd floor where I just had all the carpeting cleaned 2 days ago. As I put all the furniture back I made sure to polish and clean every piece. Today I'll start working on the kitchen. Going through cabinets, straightening things out, throwing out stuff I never use, tossing expired soups, etc. Then it will be the lower level where my office is and finally out to the garage. I absolutely LOVE to de-clutter my house. It's such a cathartic experience.
YES! I just threw out everything in my bedside table. I hadn't opened that drawer in months, so clearly nothing in there was essential. Feels great.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I like to sort through crap more often than I get to. I've spent part of each day this past week sorting through crap. It feels good! I've got a long way to go though.

I have fur bearing pets, so vacuuming floors well is required about every other day. Where the cats sleep on the couch is vacuumed as I see too much fur! As far as carpet shampooing, I own a machine, and I like to use it about every 3 months to reduce pet dander. Floors get washed as they need it (every few weeks). I knock down cobwebs as I see them.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 PM

There's something about the light this time of year that makes the cobwebs easier to see. Those spiders are sneaky! Did the ceiling fans yesterday. Amazing how much dust builds up on the paddles.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There's something about the light this time of year that makes the cobwebs easier to see. Those spiders are sneaky! Did the ceiling fans yesterday. Amazing how much dust builds up on the paddles.
That's very true! Yesterday, I noticed a whole string along my kitchen ceiling. Out came the Swiffer!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I cleaned out the walk-in pantry this week. I tossed a bunch of outdated canned and dry goods. The cleaning included removing ancient shelf paper. This was quite a task. It was supposed to be easily removable, but after more years than I care to confess to, it wasn't. Removing the 70 plus feet of paper involved using a hair dryer, a scraper, some warm water, and lots of elbow grease. I replaced it with a flannel backed vinyl that can be easily wiped down and has NO glue. I just need to see if it will stay in place.

Last week I cleaned out part of a closet.

I generally do a good deep cleaning before Christmas and try to keep it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House