U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:44 PM

821 posts, read 1,285,089 times

Advertisements

I'm totally remodeling my condo and plan to sell it immediately after I'm done with the remodel. The contractor asked me whether I'd like to replace my current tub with a shower or a new tub. He wasn't sure himself what would appeal to the majority of buyers the most. From what my real estate agent told me, showers hold more appeal these days as the only ones who really take baths are young children. This is a condo in Honolulu and I'm not sure if there are regional differences around the country but I'd like to hear what people have to say. I'm trying to appeal to the masses, as I want to sell my condo ASAP. Anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:57 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
Hawaii is rather specialized market and the various sub-targets that are likely to perhaps be interested in your unit are going to be important to consider: retirees, vactioners, investors, value-minded military personnel, foriegn market types each gravitate different situations. I would try to determine what sorts of buyers have been most actively recently in your complex and then decide how best to appeal to similar buyers.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:42 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times
I did a little research a few years ago in a couple of areas and concluded a shower with a seat and a shower head that can be detached appealed to the largest segment. Demographics as well as current trends drive the demand.

Of course there will be some that will only have a traditional tub or shower so maybe go for the cheapest build.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:04 AM

11,877 posts, read 45,676,236 times
Remodeling just to sell is usually NOT a good proposition.
I'm curious as to how this came about...

Hopefully, you're working with a competent RE agent for the listing- if not, you should be. Getting relevant, and useful information from him/her can make or break a good sale.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM

586 posts, read 406,812 times
We are building our new tomehome and have the option of installing a garden tub vs a large shower. My wife is a big fan of garden tubs so she opted against the shower however I would think that many would enjoy a shower more. For relaxation purposes though I would think a tub would be more appealing but I do feel like the market trend has gone toward showers.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
So many variables...

If this complex is popular with folks that appreciate Japanese style soak tubs:

Retirees concerned with mobilty:

Some Silicon Valley types that vacation in Hawaii several times a year:

A local executive couple that appreciates both daily showers and occasional relaxing baths:

Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Remodeling just to sell is usually NOT a good proposition.
I'm curious as to how this came about...

Hopefully, you're working with a competent RE agent for the listing- if not, you should be. Getting relevant, and useful information from him/her can make or break a good sale.
Hmmm . . . where did you come up with that idea? My condo is about 40 years old with mostly original furnishings (ex. sink, cabinets, etc.). I tried to sell around 2007 and despite being on the market for about 6 months I couldn't sell it. This was while other units in my condo were selling. My incompetent real estate agent at the time didn't even mention doing an upgrade to further appeal to buyers. At the time I thought just lowering the price would be sufficient but I've come to realize that most buyers want a finished product. I've looked at about 20 sales in my condo over the past couple years and ALL of them look like they were recently renovated. From what I hear renovating because someone wants to sell is common here. Another thing is that I want to sell ASAP, so I feel a renovation would bring the quickest sale, though I can't guarantee I'll make more profit than if I had sold at a lower price without a renovation.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM

I've decided to do a regular tub with shower head. I've looked at about 20 sales in my condo for the past couple of years and all of them had a tub rather than just a shower. I'm sure some buyers would prefer a shower but I feel a tub would appeal to the masses more.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:38 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Most units in our area have the tub-shower combo. It's very popular.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Most units in our area have the tub-shower combo. It's very popular.
By tub-shower combo you mean a tub with a shower head right? That's what I have right now and most units I've seen have. Very few condo units have a pure shower. I'd guess they're more popular in condos or houses with more than one bathroom, so the other bathroom can have a tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or