Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

It wasn't during the original install; I wasn't there (it was a rental property; the tenant was there). When I saw it, I had to ask several times for him to come elevate it off the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 12:39 PM

UPDATE: Finally got another HVAC company out here to look at it. Said, "Hm!" and "Don't know!" and made sure it was clear (?) and hoped that helped (it kept leaking). So they came back out and finally decided that the drainage pan was cracked and needed replacing. Would that be because the original installer set the furnace directly ON the drainage pan? At any rate, I'm waiting for the replacement to come in. I imagine I'll be charged for all three visits.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I may as well stick this question here as anywhere. Since it is a sort of similar topic.

We have a fancy boiler for heat (Lochnivar Knight 210,000 BTU). When it is in use, water drips from the PVC pipe for the exhaust or intake (pretty sure it is the exhaust). I cannot tell exactly where it is coming from. It just collects on the lowest part of the pipe and drips on the floor. I put a bucket under it and I have to empty about three gallons every two days. Can the combustion of natural gas be generating that much water? (I know it generates some water, but this seems like a lot). Where would this water normally go? The bucket is not part of the design.

BTW just in case someone is curious, I wold not recommend the Lochnivar Knight Boiler. It is super expensive and has been noting but trouble. too high tech I think. We also have a deuce of a time finding someone qualified to wok on it. IN one case after about a dozen correction attempts I wrote to Lochnivar and they had a technician come to our house. It turned out it was just programmed wrong and no one knew how to program it correctly. In the meantime they replaced about $1800 worth of parts trying to solve the problem. Fortunately it has a long warranty (10 years I think).

Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
...The bucket is not part of the design.
LOL

Flue piping should be pitched back towards the boiler and the boiler should have a condensate drain. The flue shouldn't have low spots or sag for water to collect but due to the leaking connection, collection inside the pipe doesn't seem to be the problem...yet.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
LOL

Flue piping should be pitched back towards the boiler and the boiler should have a condensate drain. The flue shouldn't have low spots or sag for water to collect but due to the leaking connection, collection inside the pipe doesn't seem to be the problem...yet.
It appears to be pitched back toward the boiler. I do not see a drain from the boiler, but I have not really looked for one. It is collecting and dripping right at the elbow where the flue pipe turns 90 degrees and goes into the boiler cabinet. I cannot find a leak anywhere and do not smell one either.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
it is time to acquire a new skill

Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 AM

UPDATE: The drain pan was cracked. How did it crack in just over one year? Anyway, not covered (warranty expired), took them two visits to diagnose the problem and three to repair it. A whopping big bill.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
UPDATE: The drain pan was cracked. How did it crack in just over one year?

Someone kicked it? Hit it with something trying to store it in the area? Dropped something on it?

Where is the crack? exactly?

A picture of the crack would help us to speculate more.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:45 AM

On the side, right near the drain holes. And it wasn't on the floor where it could be kicked (or near it); obviously, since originally the furnace itself was sitting directly on the cement floor. It's located about mid-furnace and involved taking the whole thing apart to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House